Copenhagen on our own. 1st visit

Hi everyone

We are on the P&O Azura docking in Copenhagen on 15th June. I don't know which dock

It's our first visit and we'd like to visit The Little Mermaid, changing of the guard at the Palace and Hyhavn

Could someone please maybe walk me through this, how to get to these places etc

I'd be so grateful. I've spent so much time organising St Petersburg the other ports have fallen by the wayside

Thanks

How long will you be in port?

The Little Mermaid has been repeatedly rated one of the most underwhelming tourist attractions, FYI. If you only have a short time, it might not be the best use of your time. It is also a fair bit away from most other attractions/sights.

There is a great free walking tour that starts at the town hall square. It covered pretty much everything in the historical center of the city, including Nyhavn (which is a total tourist trap. It's picturesque, but food and drink is crazy expensive, and I'm not sure any locals actually go there.) Stroll down the Stroget, try a hot dog from a cart. There is also a HOHO canal tour that leaves from Nyhavn.

I think it is also important for you to mention how much walking you want to do. All of the sites you mention can be included in a walking route using a tourist map once you get to the central area of the city. It is all a matter of whether you wish to walk the distance or not. It is a very nice area to walk and the additional sites are worth walking by and through.

You will need to determine where your ship docks. There are some piers that are closer (within additional walking distance) and some piers that are further away (requiring some form of transportation). I am not currently up to speed on what the best method of transport from the ships docked further away to the central area.

If you're up to the walking, I would simply arrange transportation from your ship (if necessary) to the central area and then walk around.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hi everyone

We are on the P&O Azura docking in Copenhagen on 15th June. I don't know which dock

It's our first visit and we'd like to visit The Little Mermaid, changing of the guard at the Palace and Hyhavn

I'd be so grateful. I've spent so much time organising St Petersburg the other ports have fallen by the wayside

Thanks

if you are on the Azura you will be docking at Oceankaj which is the furthest cruise terminal from the town so you will need to get a bus or taxi in to town

I think it is also important for you to mention how much walking you want to do. All of the sites you mention can be included in a walking route using a tourist map once you get to the central area of the city. It is all a matter of whether you wish to walk the distance or not. It is a very nice area to walk and the additional sites are worth walking by and through.

You will need to determine where your ship docks. There are some piers that are closer (within additional walking distance) and some piers that are further away (requiring some form of transportation). I am not currently up to speed on what the best method of transport from the ships docked further away to the central area.

If you're up to the walking, I would simply arrange transportation from your ship (if necessary) to the central area and then walk around.

Any anyone know where to find out where ships dock?

Hi everyone

Thanks

Are you using a tour company for your other ports? The tour company we used for most of our ports also offered a guided tour of Copenhagen, and we saw the Little Mermaid and the changing of the guard. At some point, we left the group behind and walked around on our own.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a Segway tour of Copenhagen Not only was it fun....but we saw the entire city, had a great guide...and no waiting through traffic. We saw so much more than we could have ever seen on foot. Found them online with a search for Copenhagen Segway tours.

It is a marvellous city to walk or a boat tour. However if time is limited don't waste it on the little mermaid, Copenhagen has so much more to offer in the centre and Nyhaven. The little mermaid is a long way out and one of the World's great tourist disappointments, buy a postcard. I think it is only rivalled by the manakin pis in Brussels as an underwhelming sight.

Enjoy the rest of Copenhagen.

Hi everyone

Thanks

Most if not all things you need to know is listed here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327188