Neiuw Amsterdam tendering in Juneau

CRUISERAT

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I too am on the NA this summer and just checked the docking schedule for Ketchikan after seeing the video of the Celebrity ship smashing the dock. The NA is assigned berth 3 in Ketchikan all summer so we may in fact be tendered there as well since the dock reportedly has 2-3 million dollars in damages. Most weeks it looks like there are 3 or 4 ships in that port when we are so they may not have any choice but to tender one.

Ok well that leaves still one port, waiting to see what happens to the dock in Skagway lmao :eek:

In Juneau tender ramp is very steep and tide was changing by 18 ft. during day when we were there last month.

Zaandam was docked but even so its gangway was very steep. I saw two scooters make it up with help from crew pushing.

Edited by ScottishMaid

Ok well that leaves still one port, waiting to see what happens to the dock in Skagway lmao :eek:

talked to travel agent she said that the dock wasn't hurt that bad, and that it would be back up and running soon :)

talked to travel agent she said that the dock wasn't hurt that bad, and that it would be back up and running soon :)

Update: Cruise ship Infinity hits, damages Ketchikan dock

by Ed Schoenfeld, CoastAlaska News

June 3, 2016 3:44 PM

...........................Harbormaster Steve Corporon said Berth 3 sustained $2 million to $3 million in damage. That includes the barge that acts as a dock and two of the three mooring dolphins.

Corporon said the dock will not be usable until it’s repaired, which could take at least a month. He said he’ll have a better idea after an engineer’s inspection this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually says on the Holland America website that the NA is tendering; I just didn't notice it until an excursion operator pointed it out to me.

Port time on the day we're in Juneau (August 1) is 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. The excursion operator said that means we likely won't get off the ship until 2 p.m. and all-aboard time will be at nine p.m. Is that about right? We were hoping to get back to the ship after nine but before 10, but it sounds like our time in Juneau will be cut shorter.

Port time on the day we're in Juneau (August 1) is 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. The excursion operator said that means we likely won't get off the ship until 2 p.m. and all-aboard time will be at nine p.m. Is that about right?

I doubt it.

I would expect the first tender to be heading out by a few minutes after 1:00, and the last tender scheduled for 9:30.

That's the normal time frame. Now I would not plan to be on the first tender, nor the last, but I think you have a lot of time ashore in Juneau.

The tenders on the Niew Amsterdam are a different style than Zuiderdam's, although also more than likely have steps down into the hull. We were the at AJ Dock two weeks ago. It is a protected harbor so there won't be swells like some tendering ports.

I suggest watching the Juneau Harbor Webcam when it pans to the pier to see if any other scooters make it ashore. Just like ScottishMaid mentioned, the ramp does get steep.

a6c1bb31-ac0b-4c5b-baca-c2ebb9962f94_zpszwpgf1ch.jpg

I am on NA now. We docked in Juneau yesterday. They said it's been about half the time tendering and half docking there. We are tendering Friday in Ketchikan.

- Joel

That's because NADM swaps out with Celebrity Solstice every Monday in Juneau until 12 SEP 16; one week NADM's docks and Infinity tenders; the next week they reverse and so on

Have a great time in Ketchikan! :)

That's because NADM swaps out with Celebrity Solstice every Monday in Juneau until 12 SEP 16; one week NADM's docks and Infinity tenders; the next week they reverse and so on

Have a great time in Ketchikan! :)

Right.

Here's a shot of us tendered with pier under repair to the right.

be1999112e12653ed359dc091dc35021.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk