Help Please, Need Hotel In Rome Pre-Cruise

happy 2 b cruising

The little store was Conad, I think it was actually across the street, but either way easy to find. I am not sure if they had beer, but they seemed to have everything else one would need. Yes the water is good. We ate at Le Taverna Dei Monti the first night when we arrived quite late because it was very close to the Hotel (same street just before Via ****onale) and it was quite good. We also ate at Hostaria De Nerone near the Colosseum and it was great! The hotel recommended some good places in the area, and we never felt they steered us wrong. The whole Monti area seems great for local places.

I used Air BnB for my trip to Rome this fall. We booked a lovely apartment in central Rome for less than $600 for four nights. It is on the fourth floor of a building with an elevator. I love the idea of having a kitchen and the privacy that an apartment provides.

Just back from the end of my Italy trip. For my last two nights in Rome I stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. It's a good option if you can snag a good price (I did). It is very well located directly behind the Pantheon and the rooms have been recently refreshed in terms of decor. I'd say in terms of overall rooms and service it's a step up from Albergo Cesari but less deluxe than the Albergo del Senato.

Worth considering if you want to be in what I consider one of the best locations for getting around on your own.

P.S. Rome is packed this summer with tourists. I usually go in the less busy seasons; not used to the crowds everywhere!!

We have stayed at Albergo Senato before and loved the location. Do you think Albergo Santa Chiara is similar in location and amenities?

We have stayed at Albergo Senato before and loved the location. Do you think Albergo Santa Chiara is similar in location and amenities?

Well, keep in mind that, IMO, Albergo del Senato is a very special hotel. But you do pay a price for that combination of ingredients that make it unique.

Albergo Santa Chiara is, location-wise, pretty close to the Pantheon. Instead of being on the piazza with views of the front and side of the Pantheon, the Santa Chiara actually backs up to the back of the Pantheon. So it's got the great location but not the views. Also, there is not a roof-top bar.

The hotel has a very nice lobby area, a large enough breakfast area (with about equivalent choices to AdS), and fine service, including a concierge.

The room I had was very nice -- a single room, probably slightly smaller and less deluxe than I have had at AdS. But then, I have a favorite room there that overlooks the piazza and Pantheon, so it is hard to top that. It appeared to be very recently updated. Nice bed and bedding, freshly painted walls, plenty of sockets to plug in things. The bathroom was also recently updated with a real shower (not those tiny little contraptions you get in many Italian hotels) but no bath. Oddly, no bidet.... The towels were lovely and luxe.

This isn't my photo, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact room I had: https://i0.bookcdn.com/data/Photos/OriginalPhoto/1921/192188/192188995/Hotel-Albergo-Santa-Chiara-photos-Room.JPEG Not shown is the desk and chair in the corner, above which there is a wall-mounted TV. There is a mini-fridge in the room but I do not believe there was a kettle for making tea or coffee.

The one caveat for me: I faced the street that the hotel fronts. I found that I could hear a little street noise at night even with the windows closed, which isn't that case with the triple-glazed windows and heavy drapes at AdS. It wasn't really enough to seriously bother me, but if you are one that must have a quiet room, I'd be sure to request that you have a room not facing the street.

So my overall opinion: a little less luxe than AdS, lacks the AdS views, but otherwise a very good choice if you like being near the Pantheon.

Edited by cruisemom42

I had to look to see just where this hotel was. I always thought the Grand Hotel De la Minerve was right behind the Pantheon. Looks like the Santa Chiara is the next block, but only a minute walk away from my favorite church... So, if you want that rooftop bar experience, just walk across the street to the Minerve and enjoy the view from their rooftop. Spent some quality time there on my post-divorce trip to Rome ;)

If you do an Internet search of the Santa Chiara, you will see several you-tube videos for you to peruse...

Edited by slidergirl

I had to look to see just where this hotel was. I always thought the Grand Hotel De la Minerve was right behind the Pantheon. Looks like the Santa Chiara is the next block, but only a minute walk away from my favorite church... So, if you want that rooftop bar experience, just walk across the street to the Minerve and enjoy the view from their rooftop. Spent some quality time there on my post-divorce trip to Rome ;)

If you do an Internet search of the Santa Chiara, you will see several you-tube videos for you to peruse...

The Santa Chiara is directly behind the Pantheon. The Grand Hotel de la Minerve is behind, but sort of catacorner to it. It sits facing the Santa Maria Sopre Minerva church at a right angle.

The Santa Chiara is directly behind the Pantheon. The Grand Hotel de la Minerve is behind, but sort of catacorner to it. It sits facing the Santa Maria Sopre Minerva church at a right angle.

I loved walking out the door of the Minerve and having that little Elephant right there!! So, I can stay at the Santa Chiara and have a similar thing. AND, it is just around the Pantheon from Armando (!) and within sleepwalking distance to Tazza d Oro for the morning espresso e cornetto :D

Sounds like a good find!

I've been looking at hotels for our cruise next May. My criteria is central Rome so we can walk to most things and want the price point to not go over $200/night if possible.

We know people who stayed at the Hotel Columbus. It is very reasonably priced. It is on the Vatican side of the river but within easy walking distance of many attractions.

I'm also considering the Hotel Madrid, Hotel Trevi, Hotel de Petris, Hotel Campo de Fiori and Hotel Navona, but it's too soon to see prices for most of these hotels. Most include breakfast and wi-fi.

We are staying soon at a B&B called At Your Place. Great reviews. Great price. Great location. Check it out. I can't wait as the experience and location sounds fantastic and I only paid 120 euros per night for a QUAD room for four! :)