How to Make a Classic European River Cruise – Budapest to Amsterdam – Special

R'man

DW and I are booked for a 16 Day Classic European River Cruise aboard the Sound of Music (SOM), beginning at Budapest on November 2nd. The cruise takes us up the Danube, to the Main and finally up the Rhein to Amsterdam. It will be our first river cruise, an experience we’ve looked forward to for years.

We realize early November will likely be overcast with rain, and that the temps will be nippy.

If you’ve cruised on the SOM before, please tell us about the ship, its routine and its secrets.

If you’ve experienced this route before on any cruise line, how were the tours, what were the things that left their great impression on you, or things not to miss along the journey, whether a particular river scene or an activity? In other words, how does one make the two weeks aboard special?

No experience whatsoever with that line or boat. We have done this itinerary, although in one week segments.

I research each city before we go, and plan according to what we personally enjoy.

Budapest is a favorite of ours. We stayed 4 days prior to our river cruise and loved the city. We walked everywhere. If you have an interest in history, recommend the Terror Museum, which was moving and very well done. We booked a lovely day spa for an afternoon and our friends experienced the Széchenyi Thermal Baths. Many great restaurants in Budapest as well. We were there in mid November and had really pleasant weather.

In Amsterdam, experience an Indonesian rijsttafel table. Unique and fun. We buy a tram pass to get around as we enjoy getting a bit out of the city center as well. I would book tickets to the Ann Frank Haus in advance, if you plan to visit. If you enjoy museums, there are several very good ones, depending on your specific interests.

Most of our river cruises have been with AMA and they make the onboard experience very special with special touches throughout. They offer a wide range of excursions to suit many levels of fitness as well as varying interests.

Sounds like a great trip!

Edited by caviargal

Hello R'man,

first of all I would like to say that going on this 16-day trip will be a special experience in itself! All the ports I looked up on the Gate1 website are the typcial stops as on most other cruises so there is lots of info on those when you look up threads or reviews by other cruisers that have sailed Budapest to Amsterdam.

I second caviargal's idea of a spa afternoon or even just an hour in a spa in Budapest. I went to the Gellert baths for the architecture and bought a luxury cotton bath towel. I think a special souvenir can add a little extra to an already great trip.

Depending on your interests there are lots of things to do. Salzburg as an optional excursion sounds great and the optional excursion to Marksburg castle from Koblenz is great, but you need to be relatively fit and have good ankles. An alternative in Koblenz is the cable car ride to Ehrenbreitstein. You will need to check if that still runs at the beginng of November.

In Cologne you have the Cathedral visit which is special enough, but for me as a train enthusiast the cathedral is at its most stunning when looked at from Deutz on the opposite bank on the Rhine with the bridge in the foreground.

The Germano-Roman museum next to the cathedral is a special place as it was built on the site of the Roman mosaique they found there some decades ago. Fabulous.

For an alternative, if that is something for you, joining the locals on All Saint's Day in remembrance, who place candles on the graves of their loved ones, can be a special moment.

Trying some local food, for example in the market hall in Budapest or in a cafe in Vienna can be great to add that special touch to an already great holiday.

As regards the ship: I do not recall seeing it "live" on the river Rhine. Youtube has a video, look up gate 1 travel sound of music.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself very much.

notamermaid

If you’ve experienced this route before on any cruise line, how were the tours, what were the things that left their great impression on you, or things not to miss along the journey, whether a particular river scene or an activity? In other words, how does one make the two weeks aboard special?

We've done the journey in two parts on two cruises and next month we're doing Budapet to Amsterdam in one 2 week cruise.

I don't know what's includedon your tour but we had plenty to see and do on ours and one of the reasons for doing it again is so we don't feel we have to do any tour if we prefer to relax on board.

The other reason is that one week was just not long enough, we were just getting used to being cossetted, fed and wined when we were ejected into the cruel world after 7 days.

On a river cruise there's always something to see close by on both sides of the boat, such as the castles down the Rhine. You moor up in towns and can just walk off the boat and explore on your own or take the supplied tour.

One optional tour I didn't want to take, and was forced to go on by Mrs Pontac, was the music evening in Vienna, which I loved and it was the highlight of the trip for me.