Loyal to Royal, but trying out NCL

NECruiser83

We have just got off the Epic having previously only sailed Independence, Freedom and Explorer. I posted our own comparison post here http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2364588

It might prove useful. I have to say that I found the pool deck less chaotic on the Epic than on last summer's Explorer cruise and I put it down to the flumes taking people away from the pools but it could just have been the itinerary.

I will be going on my 4th RCI cruise in November 2016, and just recently booked Norwegian Getaway for November 2017. I am super excited to give NCL a try, I have heard great things about the line! I am also very much looking forward to checking out the new Harvest Caye private island in Belize.

I was just curious to hear from people that have sailed both Royal and NCL, and find out the differences and similarities between the 2 lines. What are the must "do's" on the Getaway in regards to dining and activities?

Please do not turn this post into a Royal vs NCL debate, although until now I have only sailed Royal, I am excited to try a new line, and over time I would love to also check out Carnival, Celebrity, MSC, Princess, and any others out there that have great itineraries and prices (price is the reason I am not sure I will ever be able to sail with Disney)

I am just curious to hear from people who have sailed both, what their thoughts are. Thanks in advance, and happy cruising!!!

I'm Diamond Plus on Royal and I've been on two NCL cruises. My next cruise is also on NCL.

The biggest difference is NCL's Freestyle concept. There is no set dinner time and no assigned table. Some restaurants are free, some cost extra. Some restaurants require reservations, some don't. There are at least ten restaurants (I have not been on the Gateway yet). While I don't like Freestyle dining, I do make it work very well for me. Check the ship's newspaper (I forget the name of it) too see if any of the extra cost restaurants are offering half price times (usually either during the first hour or the last hour).

There are also no formal nights.

It has been eight years since my last NCL cruise, so there may be other changes I am not aware of yet, but I've given you the two biggest differences that I remember.

The passenger mix is going to be very similar to Royal Caribbean (and Carnival - I am platinum on Carnival). All of the NCL ships have a waterslide (or more than one) that an adult can use. Only two of Royal Caribbean's ships have waterslides that an adult can use and both are new this year (Harmony and Liberty).

You may hear comments that the food and service in the free restaurants is not as good as the food and service in the extra cost restaurants. Well, that is also true on Royal Caribbean (and Carnival and Princess - I have three cruises on Princess). Think about it, would you pay extra for the same quality of food and service?

If there is a show you want to see, make sure you take that into consideration with the meal time. With flexible (Freestyle) dinning the responsibility of scheduling showtimes and meal times is now the passengers' responsibility.

I've had fun on both my NCL cruises. It is just that I prefer having a set dinner time and place. If I want to go to an optional restaurant, I'll do that on my own. On NCL I handle my mealtimes a little differently, but as I said, I have learned to make it work for me. As they say, your mileage my vary.

Given the above, you might ask, then why am I booked on NCL if I don't like Freestyle? Well, NCL has forward facing balconies and that is what I want when going through the Panama Canal. So yes, I've got a forward facing balcony and I'm going through the Panama Canal again (this one is only a partial transit, the last one was a full transit).

Which brings up suites. NCL does suites right. NCL makes big promises regarding its suites and it delivers. I've been in two suites on Royal Caribbean and Royal has not lived up to its promises as far as suite service goes. I've been treated better on Royal Caribbean when I am in an oceanview or balcony cabin then when I am in a suite. NCL made me feel special when I was in the suite. I expect the same on my next cruise also.

Well, hope this helps.

Love cruising. Was on Anthem of the Seas last December. Loved it. Matter of fact, enjoyed it more than the Allure of the Seas, which is supposed to be one of RCCL's flagships.

NCL is one I've been more interested in lately. Had a nice balcony on Epic. Had a studio and a Haven Spa Suite on Breakaway because I enjoy Bermuda so much. Both were great and unique in different ways.

Going on the Getaway in a Haven Suite in about 3 weeks. Really looking forward to that.

Food is outstanding on NCL and RCL. Haven restaurant is a step above either's MDR. I like the entertainment on NCL better than any other cruise line I've sailed. That includes Celebrity, HAL and Carnival.

Formal nights are not a "thing" for me. I'm glad they are no longer required on any ship I've sailed in the last 5 years, or so. But, for those who like to dress up, you certainly can on NCL.

People make a lot of noise about crowding on all of the alleged "pools" on the cruise ships. At the end of the day, these are all wading pools, at best. And, with the addition of the water slides, probably not nearly as important as before. I don't have issues with the pools on today's cruise ships.

Have never had a suite on Royal, so can't comment.

As others point out, the Haven experience is something to behold.

Edited by graphicguy