Back to NCL...what's new?

jlat

If you get the "free" beverage package, how much do they charge you additional for the 18% for a 7 day cruise?

Also, the 18% gratuity on any specialty dining package .... is that payable before the cruise also, or after eating in the restaurant. I remember reading one review recently where the people couldn't get into the specialty restaurants they had with their package, does this mean they paid the gratuity anyway?

The terms and conditions state that there are no refunds on unused portions of the package, so it's use it or lose it. I would think it would be very rare that someone couldn't get into a single specialty restaurant during an entire 7 day cruise, considering that you can make reservations precruise beginning 90 days out, can also make reservations on the ship on your stateroom tv, I concierge and restaurant res # by phone, and every restaurant allows walk ins as well, space available, no reservations needed. There are availability boards stationed around the ship, indicating, green, yellow and red for available, filling up, or full. Also shown on your stateroom tv I believe. Keep in mind that being told there are no reservations available for a certain date or time does not mean that you could not walk up at that date and time and get seated after a brief wait. We have done it several times.

I would make some reservations pre cruise if possible. You can probably change them on board if need be. If you go sans reservations, try to call the res desk for availability each day for the place and time you want. Be willing to be flexible. If you just want to go spur of the moment, look to see where it's "green" for availability and just walk up.

The restriction on the Platinum dining perk applies only to that, not the SDP. If you are considering the purchase of an SDP, you can click on the terms and conditions to see any exceptions.

Aside from that, with SDP it doesn't matter if it's an an la carte restaurant or one with a flat cover charge, you pay nothing additional.

Did you get a 3 or 4 night SDP when you booked?

Figure out your per night cost, price of package plus the 18%, and compare it to the a la carte prices for what you would order at an a la carte, or the cover fee with no package for Moderno and Teppanyaki to figure out where you'd get the best bang for the buck with the package vs your costs in going without packages.

Thanks for all this. I had read the terms. I did not get the SDP (free DSC). Yep, except for dessert prices (I may still find some), I'm doing just that with prices. The 5 night package is $116.83 USD pre-cruise + a service fee so it looks like savings won't be very much even for Moderno. I have a while to figure it out-probably. There's a sign on each package that states "Limited Availability."

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all this. I had read the terms. I did not get the SDP (free DSC). Yep, except for dessert prices (I may still find some), I'm doing just that with prices. The 5 night package is $116.83 USD pre-cruise + a service fee so it looks like savings won't be very much even for Moderno. I have a while to figure it out-probably. There's a sign on each package that states "Limited Availability."

If anyone has ever tried to buy a dining package and been turned down, I've never hear about it. They just add that in order to have the option of limiting it if ever they ever chose to.

If the price you mentioned for 5 nights already includes the 18%, your price per night is only about $23 pp. In an a la carte place like Cagneys, that $ would probably only cover the steak. Were you to be dining there without a package, you could easily spend $50 per person, so you'd probably get a good savings over the $23 paid. The difference is not so great with a cover charge place like Moderno where you are only paying @$30 with a cover charge. That's why people often recommend you use your SDP at the a la cartes Cagneys, Le Bistro and La Cucina.

Lobster is no longer included in your cruise fare. If you want it you will have to pay an upcharge in a main dining room restaurant (to the tune of $24.99), or eat in an upcharge restaurant where you pay too. We love lobster, and yes we can eat it at home and we do, but something about being on a cruise . . . Other cruiselines still have lobster nights at no additional cost in their main dining venues.

So, yes, there have been cutbacks. Charges for things that used to be included. Yes, all cruiselines have had cutbacks over the past few years, so I don't know why NCL's are more noticeable to me, but they are.

Also about 1.5 years ago smoking became prohibited on balconies, yet people still do it. I did not enjoy being smoked out by both neighbors a few months ago. Maybe some day NCL will decide to enforce its own policy.

I was skeptical about the limited part.

I finally got it figured out by locating the posted base cost for the SDP. The 5 day plan is $99 + 18% = $116.82. That's $19.80 per meal plus 18% on the $19.80. Since many entrees alone come close to that, it makes sense. Further, a regular fee (Modernos, for instance) will cost more $ and more $ in gratuities.

Thanks, punkincc and others for the help.

Edited by Rhea98

Lobster is no longer included in your cruise fare. If you want it you will have to pay an upcharge in a main dining room restaurant (to the tune of $24.99), or eat in an upcharge restaurant where you pay too. We love lobster, and yes we can eat it at home and we do, but something about being on a cruise . . . Other cruiselines still have lobster nights at no additional cost in their main dining venues.

So, yes, there have been cutbacks. Charges for things that used to be included. Yes, all cruiselines have had cutbacks over the past few years, so I don't know why NCL's are more noticeable to me, but they are.

Also about 1.5 years ago smoking became prohibited on balconies, yet people still do it. I did not enjoy being smoked out by both neighbors a few months ago. Maybe some day NCL will decide to enforce its own policy.

True about the MDR lobster, but if you have been given the SDP as a promo, or purchased a package, you can have lobster for no additional up charge.

What they are doing away with (biggest thing is the Zahrkanian (sp?) restaurant. I was never fond of it to begin with. Overpriced for what you got. So, no great loss there.

Shanghai noodel bar is now free. I love that place.

Epic is (or has already) changing Blue Man Group, but it's been on that ship for awhile and probably needed to be changed.

They've added more "perks", like choosing SDP, UBP, internet packages or some others I can't remember right now.

Food has always been good in restaurants, but now is better. I think service has improved (not that it needed much improvement).

I'm leaving next weekend on the Getaway, and it's probably the most anticipated cruise I've taken in years because it's on NCL. And, that's including some cruises on the "best" available from CCL, RCCL and Celebrity.