Cruise Traditions

macfam76

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2016 at 7:06 AM, bury me at sea said:

Two things. I stop at the edge of the gangway and jump onto the ship, leaving everything behind me.

Then I find a place to sit down, make one phone call to family to say "We are on the ship" then change my phone to airplane mode.

Then an unforgettable and unconnected journey begins.

We always make the "we are on the ship" call from our balcony. Just a last minute check-in with everyone at home. Unpack and get ready for sail away.

On 4/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, olemissreb said:

I guess we have a few traditions. My first 3 cruises, I didn't do it, but since the first one with the kids, we now get to the port at least a day early. Love being able to relax and totally get in the vacation mood before boarding. We've also added at least a day on post cruise before we fly home. Kind of nice to extend the vacation a little!

We also get a Christmas ornament to put on the tree. It's great reliving those memories with the boys.

We also will share a bottle of champagne - maybe at sailaway on our balcony from our first ever aft suite!:D

On the last night (this time probably as we sail by the Na'apali Coast) I will stand on our balcony and cry because it's almost over.

We love getting to the port days before and staying at least a day after the cruise. It really cuts down on the stress of traveling. 

• Like 1

We enjoy boarding asap…often by 11AM…go directly to MDR to tweek reservations and scope out our table…wander up to the Viking CrownLounge to sit… one of us goes to grab coffees and a snack to bring back and enjoy in the basic solitude away from buffets/crowds while playing cards,reading,napping.   The calmness and the view welcomes us to vacation!  On an inclement day we might be found doing same in the solarium or perhaps a quiet lounge.  If boredom should happen to set in, we can always go for a walk. 😉

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

We buy a refrigerator magnet from places we travel to by land or sea.  A person can only use a certain number of coffee mugs or key chains, and every time I open the fridge, I'm reminded of the places we've been.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, AlanRRT said:

We buy a refrigerator magnet from places we travel to by land or sea.  A person can only use a certain number of coffee mugs or key chains, and every time I open the fridge, I'm reminded of the places we've been.

We've started collecting the magnets too. It's great to be able to look at the fridge and be reminded of our past adventures.