Statue of Liberty View on Summit

Janie001

Hello, we are cruising soon to Bermuda aboard the Summit. I understand if the weather is good they will do a 'drive-by' of the Statue of Liberty.

If that does not happen and they just go straight by, is there one side of the ship versus the other that you would need to be on to have a view? We have a port side balcony and hope to see it from there. Also, roughly how long after leaving port would we be near the SOL and the bridges?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The port is south of the Statue of Liberty so unless the Captain sails north a bit to see it before heading south you will only get a view from far away and it will be behind you. You sail under the Verrazano Narrows bridge soon after leaving port.

If you do sail north you will also get a good view of the Freedom Tower and Empire State Building.

IMG_5883.jpg.31aa4b05691a652f3dba0c37d3b69168.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg.5411f45d51b1c92e3614e85e8a6acb1f.jpg

The port is south of the Statue of Liberty so unless the Captain sails north a bit to see it before heading south you will only get a view from far away and it will be behind you. You sail under the Verrazano Narrows bridge soon after leaving port.

If you do sail north you will also get a good view of the Freedom Tower and Empire State Building.

Thanks, I didn't realize that. We booked this cruise last minute and I haven't sailed out of this port before. Hopefully we sail North!

We have done this northbound turn twice now on Celebrity Summit.

First time was on our Canada/New England cruise on September 6 last year and then just last week, May 29 Summit to Bermuda.

The May 29th sail away was the best sail away from Bayonne we have ever had and we have sailed out of Bayonne 15 times. The weather was perfect, we got so close to the Statute of Liberty and the NY Skyline. Then we went t hrough t his eerie fog like cloud going under the Verranzo Narrows Bridge. I am work now so can't post pictures but the ones I got were really nice.

On the Summit now, we did not do the circle around the Statue because of the weather but your best view will be on the Starboard side if they do it. If they don't it will be on the port side but at a greater distance.

On the Summit now, we did not do the circle around the Statue because of the weather but your best view will be on the Starboard side if they do it. If they don't it will be on the port side but at a greater distance.

Good information. I assume we would know fairly quickly if they are going to go North. Does anyone know if it is announced prior to sailaway or if it just happens?

Good information. I assume we would know fairly quickly if they are going to go North. Does anyone know if it is announced prior to sailaway or if it just happens?

The Captain always comes on over the PA before leaving port and will then let you know weather conditions and route of departure.

The Captain always comes on over the PA before leaving port and will then let you know weather conditions and route of departure.

Thank you for that valuable piece of information! We're sailing 10/2 and I will make sure I'm topside and listen for the announcement.

Great! Thank you - we will be sure to listen for the announcement!

It is not only a function of weather, but by maritime control (sorry, do not know the technical term). Last year, there was a sailboat regatta and Capt. Kate could not get permission. Again this year, she could not get clearance, although I do not know the reason.

Great! Thank you - we will be sure to listen for the announcement!

FYI - PA announcements are typically not heard inside your stateroom. If you have your TV on the ship's channel (that shows the outside of the ship and the helipad) you can hear it but otherwise you will miss it.

Captain Kate was pretty on time or early with our departures. When leaving Bermuda we were not suppose to leave until 4:30 PM, all aboard was 4 PM. She came on the PA before 4 PM as everyone had been back on board and we departed early.

This is the view from the port. You can see the Statue of Liberty from the port side of the ship. Bring binoculars or have a good camera zoom.

DSC_6335.JPG

A little zoom

IMG_2138.JPG

More

IMG_2139.JPG

I can do that!!!! :D

FYI - PA announcements are typically not heard inside your stateroom. If you have your TV on the ship's channel (that shows the outside of the ship and the helipad) you can hear it but otherwise you will miss it.

Captain Kate was pretty on time or early with our departures. When leaving Bermuda we were not suppose to leave until 4:30 PM, all aboard was 4 PM. She came on the PA before 4 PM as everyone had been back on board and we departed early.

This is all good information as it is our first time on Celebrity, I appreciate it.

RTC0101 - Statue of Liberty - Hudson River - Freedom Tower, NYC from Celebrity Summit A1 Cabin 1140 5-8-2016.

27051677281_502344f757_b.jpg

New Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal and Tear Drop Memorial from Celebrity Summit A1 Cabin 1140 NYC to Bermuda 5-8-2016.

26807554590_5a74371681_b.jpg

CaptDave

RTC0101 - Statue of Liberty - Hudson River - Freedom Tower, NYC from Celebrity Summit A1 Cabin 1140 5-8-2016.

New Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal and Tear Drop Memorial from Celebrity Summit A1 Cabin 1140 NYC to Bermuda 5-8-2016.

CaptDave

Those pictures are stunning - especially the first one. I am very much looking forward to this trip!

Those pictures are stunning - especially the first one. I am very much looking forward to this trip!

WOW......nothing else....just WOW!!!!! Thanks for sharing, I hope I can get something half as good :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

CaptDave

WOW......nothing else....just WOW!!!!! Thanks for sharing, I hope I can get something half as good :D