Help! NCL or Celebrity

sowindct

Please help us decide which cruise to take!

10 nights Norwegian Dawn, 5 ports, 2 connecting mini suites or

12 nights Celebrity Constellation,6 ports, 2 connecting concierge class balconies

More nights, less money ($1000) but smaller rooms.

There are 6 of us, but we figure the 2 kids 16 and 14 will probably only sleep in the rooms and won't be around during the day.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We have yet to do our first Celebrity Cruise (coming up in just over 2 weeks), but we've been on 4 NCL cruises. Without hestitation, I would take the 2 extra nights on Celebrity at $1,000 less! I think the CC class amenities will compensate somewhat for the smaller cabin, and if it gets a little crowded, it's only at night. And if the teenagers are like ours were on our first cruise, they'll be coming in late and staying in bed late and you'll hardly notice them.

BTW, this is not a putdown of NCL at all - we've loved our 4 cruises with them. But to me, the Celebrity Cruise sounds like a much better deal!

This is a no brainer.

I have been on both and Celebrity is definetly the winner.

Food, Service is much much better.

We also found their 100% open seating not working very well. A few times there was a long wait, up to an hour to get seated. Reservations is not accepted for parties less than 8.

We've sailed with NCL twice and Celebrity six. Our last NCL cruise (which will probably be our last with them forever) was my 40th birthday celebration with about 25 family and friends. Quite honestly, NCL did a lousy job in every aspect (too long to detail here)....but we still had fun :)

We began sailing Celebrity after that and haven't been back to NCL. We've sailed with other lines since (RCI and Princess) and all have provided a better cruise experience than NCL.

So the decision for us would be easy -- Connie, hands down.

Hi,

I would go Celebrity every time, but here is a suggestion, why not try an inside cabin for the teenagers, (same deck- close by), it would give you extra space and as you say they will probably only sleep in the cabin, also tthe cost would be about the same as NCL.

Have a great trip.

Guest THE EDS

Celebrity HANDS DOWN, I agree with Host Anne sailed NCL twice the last time on the Crown in an owners suite will NEVER sail NCL again. There is no comparison between Celebrity and NCL. I consider NCL the McDonalds of cruising

The Eds

Hi,

I would go Celebrity every time, but here is a suggestion, why not try an inside cabin for the teenagers, (same deck- close by), it would give you extra space and as you say they will probably only sleep in the cabin, also tthe cost would be about the same as NCL.

Have a great trip.

I think this is a great sugestion. You are saving $1000, put it toward an inside cabin and let everyone be paired off in twos. That way room is not an issue.

CELEBRITY, hands down!! I have been on Mercury twice and just got off NCL Spirit five day. Celebrity wins for service and food. One friend who was on the same cruise, called NCL the 'Montgomery Ward' of cruising. That was my first AND LAST NCL cruise.

Wow ! after reading all those kudos for Celebrity I'm gonna board Holland America twice in the next few months wishing all the while I was on one of Celebrity's ships INSTEAD !!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Just remember one thing, Celebrity fans are the most loyal out there. They think nothing can compare. HAL is a great line, it is subdued, if you are younger there isn't as much to do as on Celebrity or some other lines.

Celebrity is also subdued and offers a first class experience but not as active as NCL, RCI and certainly Carnival. Each line has something special. It is also hard to compare unless you are comparing like products. We had to decide between Celebritys Galaxy and NCLs new Jewel a few months ago. The Galaxy was less expenisve for a 14 day cruise than the Jewel for 10. Because of the timing and the itinerary we choose NCL. I can guarantee anyone, there is no way the Galaxy could offer a better time than we had on the Jewel. In Dec we have chosen Celebrity. Which line is best for you depends on what you are looking for. Relax anfd have a great experience. NMNita

We just completed a weekend cruise to nowhere on NCL's Spirit. Wanted an inexpensive way to sample NCL. Sure glad we found this deal and did not waste a week's vacation on another NCL cruise.

Left San Fransisco Friday night. NCL was x-raying every piece of luggage and confiscating all liquor with the exception of wine. Allowed wine on board as long as you pre-paid $15 per bottle corkage fee. (Then had to argue with the waiter Saturday that the sticker on the bottle meant we had already paid. He wanted to charge us again.)

Saturday morning, the wait was 40 minutes in line for the buffet breakfast. Then you get to the front and most items were gone. Forget waiting for more. That would take another 20 minutes.

Never had a hot meal, mostly luke warm. Cabins were the smallest I have ever seen. Bars plentiful but far more expensive than even Celebrity. Constant announcements over the loud speaker, requesting people to come to the reception desk.

The one positive was the entertainment on Saturday, a performance by Chicago's Second City.

In spite of recent problems with Celebrity, no question where my vote would go.

Don

As I always tell my clients: anything less than 4 days on a ship is a big waste of time. I am sorry you had such an awful time. Sounds like the convescation of the booze set you off. NCL does have this policy; guess what, when we cruised Celebrity 2 years ago they took ours as well. While they were holding our booze, they did the same to maybe, 10 other couples. I think this is a crazy policy, but one all lines state and any one of them might inforce it next cruise.

Cold food is totally unacceptable. We have cruised NCL 7 times, never had cold food except on rare occassions in the buffet just like any other buffet. I am sure almost everyone on a 2 day cruise choose the buffet, thus a long wait for meals. Small cabins, I can't speak for the Spirit, but the Sun has cabins exactly the same size as the Connie; the Jewel same as most RCI ships, but a little smaller than the Celebrity.

booze wise, the prices are high and I hate it, but we found them to be, to the penny the same as Celebrity and the wine a tab cheaper, but not much. Drinks on the Jewel (last month) ranged from $4.95 to $5.95 for a basic cocktail; higher for top brands: wine ranged from $20 a bottle to anywhere else you can imagine. A glass of wine started at about $5.50. This is what we paid on Celebrity 2 years ago, but the least expensive bottle was $25.

Constant announcements may have had something to do with a 2 day cruise. We have had very little problems with this on our last few cruises. NCL does announce Bingo and the Art Auction: a pain I agree. Celebrity can pride themselves on not using the loud speaker.

I am not trying to put you down, just pointing out: either you are so biased that you are finding little flaws that are either not a big thing or apply to all lines or you haven't cruised Celebrity recently. I am happy you liked 2nd City, we see it everytime we go to Vegas.

Do try to remember you are comparing a 2 day cruise with a real cruise. NMnita

Up front I'll state we've never cruised on NCL, but my bil (who's never been on X) likes them the best b/c of the freestyle dining.

Personally I like having an assigned table where we become well acquainted with other pax. I took my sil on a 2-nt ctn on Carnival (her first ever). I requested a larger table, but we were assigned a table for 2. She greatly enjoyed breakfast and lunch where we met others and endorsed my preference for a larger table. Next mo sil and I again--along with the guys this time--are sailing on Zenith, and I've requested a larger table.

I think the dining difference is a major consideration. I'm not saying I'd never cruise NCL, but given a choice, I'd go with X hands down.

M/R

I have done both. I used to really enjoy NCL but that was in the "old days" of the Sunward II, Skyward, etc.

I you are interested in traditional dining, European service and very good food, I would go with X. They also have larger cabins and more elegant ships.

NCL's new ships are bright and well decorated. I do not care for Freestyle dining, period, but did find the food in the pay restaurants to be quite good. Entertainment and activities are more lively on NCL, IME.

NCL offers a casual cruising experience, X is more formal and understated. These are two very different cruise lines.

These boards have been so very informative to me; and, I certainly appreciate the wealth of information which has steered me in the 'right' direction. Alot of people have suggested that they sometimes allow the intinerary to be very helpful in their choice of cruise lines--I can't help but to agree. We have very limited choices to have a R/T cruise from San Francisco--usually only Summer months only--but now my particular favorite, Crystal, will no longer have a presence in SF. Too sad!! I have just completed a 5 day NCL Spirit R/T SF--beautiful ship with extraordinary Asian art--however, no more NCL for me as they seem to charge a cheap or resonable price while, on the ship, passengers are squeezed our of every 5 and 10 cents (read dollars) that they can extract from their passengers. However, I believe NCL is a good choice for families. The alternative restaurants (for an additonal fee) had excellent food served at dinner which was certainly worth the extra charge. Bottom line is that I think that there is a combination of decisions which affect where you may choose to spend your vaction money; the particular cruise line in addition to the initerary. We are so fortunate to have such a wealth of choices at so many different price levels. Personally, I have come down to Crystal or Celebrity as my personal preferences. Everyone has their own prefernces, which I respect. So many cruise lines have loyal clients--I think that's great! This is certainly as it should be! The important issue is, whichiever you choice, enjoy your cruise! You deserve to have the best time for your vacation, regardless of your cruise line and your choice of itinearary and ship. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the cruise you choose!

Nita..............................please, I am not trying to start anything here but we were also on the Spirit and we weren't "so biased we were looking for little flaws." I consider getting handed a bagel that is as hard as a hockey puck TWICE isn't such a small thing. The staff member manning the toaster thought nothing of it?We are experienced enough to overlook the small stuff on a 2 day sample cruise, there was a lot of small stuff and they took our money.

" I can guarantee anyone, there is no way the Galaxy could offer a better time than we had on the Jewel. "

How can you make a statement like that and then find fault with what ever John felt?

Really, is there any doubt that Celebrity offers a more refined cruise experience. I think all of our conjecture and opinions mean nothing here. More days, less money......Celebrity? Of course.

Archived