Heavy Winter Ski jacket needed?

villager13

No, you don't. However, since you're from Florida, you may feel the cold more than some of us northerners do. The best thing to do in Alaska is layer your clothing. Bring a waterproof outer layer and a warmer inner layer and remove/put on as necessary.

I've been a Florida resident for 7 years and definitely feel the chill much more quickly than when I lived in Northeast Ohio.

That being said, I brought a down jacket on my cruise last week and never even took it out of the stateroom. For each day, I wore a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt, a zip-up fleece jacket as a middle layer and a waterproof (not water resistant) jacket on top. If I didn't need a one or both of the jackets, I put them in my backpack.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just cruised and layers are best. I am from Louisiana and fairly sensitive to cold. We used a thin raincoat/windbreaker along with a lighter weight jacket and layers of sweaters and turtlenecks. It was different every day and we removed layers as it warmed up during the day. On the Glacier Bay day I needed a hat, scarf and gloves. That was the coldest day on the boat and on land. If you are on Princess they have blankets to check out.

Don't weigh down your luggage with a heavy coat. Yes it gets chilly out on the decks by the glaciers but you are better with a tee shirt, a long sleeve tee, a sweater and fleece and a windbreaker. A hat, scarf and gloves will help too. I'm only saying all of this since you are from Florida lol. But no seriously just layer and windbreaker is your friend.

Do we need to lack heavy winter ski jackets for Glacier Bay cruising and also the land portion of our land tour?
Thoughts...

• which month are you sailing?
  • in sunny August..... something light is all I needed
  • in damp windy days.... you need something warmer, otherwise you'll be viewing it inside.

In both our cruise in early June and our Mid August cruise we never needed the heavy

coats, and as others pointed out...layering is best

But DO take gloves and a hat. Those do not take up as much room in your suitcase

like a heavy coat, and something we were very happy to have when touring the glacier.

Makes holding your hot cocoa much easier! :)