Steak in cagneys

The cowboy ribeye is (as I recall) a large, bone-in steak around 16 - 18 oz.

I personally like the filet mignon in Le Bistro much better than Cagney's.

They (Cagney's) also have strip steaks, veal chop and prime rib among the many entree selections.

Tracy

Edited by TracyE

Impossible to answer this. I would say the filet. My husband would say the 32oz porterhouse (which is the largest cut offered). I'll bet you can get every steak on the menu listed here. Who's to say what's best? It's a subjective thing.

Edited by LrgPizza

Tried Cagney's twice and wasn't impressed. I did like the tiny filet, but the ribeye was a disappointment. The best steak was in Le Bistro and I recommend it highly. Having said that, I have not tried Cagney's now that they updated the menu and went a la carte, so I have no idea if my past experiences with their steaks still hold true.

They have a huge steak now called the tomahawk ribeye. I did not try it, but a gentleman we ate with had it several times and liked it a lot. It was huge, like the steak Fred Flintstone orders that tips his car over.

My favorite steak on our recent cruise on the Sun was the regular ribeye in La Cucina. Much better than any of the Cagney's steaks. Go figure. I was never a La Cucina fan until this cruise.

Tried Cagney's twice and wasn't impressed. I did like the tiny filet, but the ribeye was a disappointment. The best steak was in Le Bistro and I recommend it highly. Having said that, I have not tried Cagney's now that they updated the menu and went a la carte, so I have no idea if my past experiences with their steaks still hold true.

Did Cagney's twice on my last sailing, and totally agree with you about the ribeye. It was really gristly and tough. Had the filet the first time, and found it very good.

A couple of comments. After trying Cagney's about 20 or so times over the years, I've never had a "bad" steak. With that, I've noticed first hand that several people have sent back a steak there and had it replaced without issue.

Also, for those that say Le Bistro or any other venue have better steaks, each ship gets their beef from the same vendor, so the chance of a "bad" steak is slim in any venue. They do not serve Morton's quality steaks on any NCL ship, but they do serve decent beef. Order your favorite cut, if you don't like it, send it back. I prefer the Ribeye, but they are all pretty good.

Last trip in April DH got the 32oz porterhouse. Loved it! I got the filet mignon, and even well done (don't like my steak mooing) it was perfectly done and so good! Can't wait to go back again in September, but DH probably won't partake in the 32oz again; it was a little too much!

I recently had the large prime rib at Cagneys...was not impressed...loaded with fat and grizzle...

DH's rib eye was ok...

We both preferred the steak at LeBistro..

On second visit to Cagneys...had the lobster...best ever!

Edited by jaja

I was on the breakaway last week and visited Cagney's twice. Had the large porterhouse the first time and the tomahawk ribeye the second visit. Both were great and I was unable to finish either. The ribeye is supposed to have fat in it. With the tomahawk you have such a big piece of steak you can cut away the fat and still have plenty of tender juicy steak. The porterhouse is probably the safer bet if you are afraid of getting a fatty steak. The tomahawk is the largest steak they serve by weight but you probably have more steak to eat by ordering the large porterhouse. The filet has two sizes and both are great choices. I believe the filet is available for an upcharge in the main dining room so if you go to Cagney's try a steak only available there.

I've eaten in Cagney's 5 times on 3 cruises and my preference is for the larger size filet mignon med. rare. It's much better than the chain R. Chris but doesn't quite approach a true steakhouse like Morton's. More like a triple trimmed Omaha filet, no fat at all, and maybe no cholesterol (LOL).

Evelyn however always orders the rack of lamb.

I believe there was a 32 oz portehouse on the menu.

Edited by evandbob

I'm a Ribeye guy so opted for the 16oz as I knew I would end up having some of my wife's Prime Rib. She ordered the queen cut and judging by the size, I swear they brought her the king cut. None the less, both choices were fantastic.

To me filets are over rated unless you are ordering it because it is a lean piece of meat. If you are going to have steak have one with some fat in it for the added flavor and richness. I did however order the filet at the Haven restaurant as it was topped with a generous piece of sautéed foie gras.

Side note, we were on the Escape for the May 14th sailing and we ate at Cagney's as we were leaving St. Thomas out on the water front. 6:00 reservations were perfect if you want to be dining as the sun sets and the ship sails out of the harbor.

IMG_4045.jpg.61befef9ca35d2bdc9410f5e8b39d6ea.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg.417b7e1e6bc45b6ffb8d49a791986574.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg.2237907021a170d21d4231291c826677.jpg

A lot of people do not understand what the different cuts really are. I have gotten the 18oz rib eye about 10 times and the 32oz porterhouse 3 or 4 in the last 3 years, all good. Every one of them was loaded with marbling(fat) like they should be. When someone wants a steak with no fat they should choose the filet mignon. If cut the right way there should be zero fat on it or in it. If there is fat then it was cut to far down on the whole piece when it was butchered. Now as far as flavor goes the rib eye has the most of any cut followed by sirloin, ny strip then the filet. In fact the only real flavor the filet has is what it is seasoned with.

If they tomahawk is something other than the 18oz rib eye, then I can't wait for September to try it out.

I'm always surprised by the critiques of Cagneys when I read them. I've eaten there many times over the years, and have considered the steaks I have had there to be consistently above-average.

I live in the New York area and have eaten at many very good steakhouses, so I'm not sure by what standard folks are judging it by.

The other thing that has confused me is that some people mention that the steaks are fatty - it's considered a good thing to have some level of fat (esp in something like a ribeye) for flavor purposes.

People like what they like, so I can't debate that, but I've just always been curious if other folks are simply getting a different experience than I am, or perhaps just have different tastes.

We have always gotten better steaks too in Le Bistro in fact we never eat steak at Cagney's as we've had to many bad steaks that we've given up.

We go to Cagney's for shrimp cocktail and there Salmon Oscar is really good although it hasn't been on the menu but Ive been able to get them to make it.

While we know how to order steaks most Canadian don't realize that in the US cooking temperatures are 10 degree's lower than Can. standards thus goes the same for steak.

Edited by FranknBeans

I'm always surprised by the critiques of Cagneys when I read them. I've eaten there many times over the years, and have considered the steaks I have had there to be consistently above-average.

I live in the New York area and have eaten at many very good steakhouses, so I'm not sure by what standard folks are judging it by.

The other thing that has confused me is that some people mention that the steaks are fatty - it's considered a good thing to have some level of fat (esp in something like a ribeye) for flavor purposes.

People like what they like, so I can't debate that, but I've just always been curious if other folks are simply getting a different experience than I am, or perhaps just have different tastes.

Different tastes.

Mike

I agree but...

Just an explanation of my post re: fatty..

the prime rib I had was not marbled...but rather had many unappetizing large chunks of way undercooked fat and grizzle throughout..making trimming it for eating very difficult . The flavor of the meat itself was fairly good...but certainly not one of the better pieces of prime rib I have had.

In hindsight..I really should have sent it back..but I did not..my bad..

You've been to NY steakhouses and think NCL's steaks are on par? Which one in NY are you basing that opinion on? Tad's steaks?

There's a difference between fatty and marbled. Marbled is good. A chunk of fat attached to a lean piece of beef is not the same thing. A good ribeye should be marbled.

Marbled is good. A chunk of fat attached to a lean piece of beef is not the same thing. A good ribeye should be marbled.

I agree. I love Filet Mignon very rare as it has no fat at all. Other than that I like marbled steak but do not like steaks with lots of fat either round the outside or through them.

That is why I order FM when eating in specialties on cruises, I can usually guarantee what I am going to get is what I want.

Mike