Upselling on the Escape / cabin advice

dcipjr

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I booked a BF balcony on a B2B on the Escape back in September of 2015, and we're finally getting close to sail date. Final payment has come and gone.

I've been watching prices for a while, and they dropped significantly today. For the first time since the cruise went on sale, the price of my cabin is below what I paid—and significantly below. I won't get any money back, being past final payment, but I'm looking at upgrade options.

We have an angled balcony on deck 11 aft, angled so that it faces aft. It's a pretty good cabin from all indications.

The prices of the mini-suites (MB and below) are below what I paid, so presumably I could upgrade to one of those, but I don't know if it would be worth it. It's just a better bathroom, from what I've read, and the balcony would be smaller, as far as I know, due to lack of an angle. Would this really be much of an upgrade?

I could snag a B6 for $50 per person, but my wife isn't keen on the lack of privacy. Anyone have one of these, who can comment?

B1s are $300 more per person. Tempting...but I'm iffy on whether I want to shell out $600. We had a B1 on Breakaway last year and loved it.

I was also thinking of calling the Upsell department and seeing what offers they have (since supposedly you may do better than just the price difference between your cabin and the cabin category you want) but I'm wondering whether it's too early to do so? We're still 8 weeks out. I would love to try a suite, but the prices of those are double what we originally paid, so an Upsell deal is probably our best chance for that (not a very good chance, I guess).

So...stay with the angle? Upgrade to B6? Upgrade to Mini? Get a B1? Try the Upsell department?

I'm leaning towards staying with our current cabin, but curious as to what others would do.

Booking early does not get you the best price but it does get you the best cabin selection. A mini will get you a bigger bathroom but if you have a aft balcony you are giving up a lot of balcony for a bigger shower and sink. Not worth it in my book and I love the Minis.

Once you are within 2 weeks (some people say 4 weeks) call upsell and see if you get into the Haven.

The worst case is you got the cabin you wanted a price that you thought was fair when you booked.

Well, we don't have an aft per se, we have an angled balcony, and the angle is facing aft (as opposed to facing forward). If we were in a real aft balcony, there's no way I'd even be thinking about moving to a mini suite.

We're just in a standard BF balcony, but have one of the ones on the angle caused by the deck bump-out, so we have a bit more room.

Agreed that booking early doesn't guarantee the best price. I'm happy with the price I paid. That said, if there are opportunities to upgrade at the right price, I would definitely be interested.

Sounds like you have the room we have booked (11896) or the one across the ship from us. I think I would have a hard time sacrificing the larger balcony for a larger bathroom in a mini. I'd have to seriously think about any other upgrades though. Right now I am pretty happy with my choice in rooms.

That's the one! It seems like a pretty good cabin, and I'll probably stay with it unless the B1's price comes down far enough that it's within reach. $600 more is a bit much at this point.

Or, if I can snag an upsell, but it sounds like it's too far out for that. Guess I'll have to look again in 4 or 5 weeks or so.

Edited by dcipjr

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I booked a BF balcony on a B2B on the Escape back in September of 2015, and we're finally getting close to sail date. Final payment has come and gone.

I've been watching prices for a while, and they dropped significantly today. For the first time since the cruise went on sale, the price of my cabin is below what I paid—and significantly below. I won't get any money back, being past final payment, but I'm looking at upgrade options.

We have an angled balcony on deck 11 aft, angled so that it faces aft. It's a pretty good cabin from all indications.

The prices of the mini-suites (MB and below) are below what I paid, so presumably I could upgrade to one of those, but I don't know if it would be worth it. It's just a better bathroom, from what I've read, and the balcony would be smaller, as far as I know, due to lack of an angle. Would this really be much of an upgrade?

I could snag a B6 for $50 per person, but my wife isn't keen on the lack of privacy. Anyone have one of these, who can comment?

B1s are $300 more per person. Tempting...but I'm iffy on whether I want to shell out $600. We had a B1 on Breakaway last year and loved it.

I was also thinking of calling the Upsell department and seeing what offers they have (since supposedly you may do better than just the price difference between your cabin and the cabin category you want) but I'm wondering whether it's too early to do so? We're still 8 weeks out. I would love to try a suite, but the prices of those are double what we originally paid, so an Upsell deal is probably our best chance for that (not a very good chance, I guess).

So...stay with the angle? Upgrade to B6? Upgrade to Mini? Get a B1? Try the Upsell department?

I'm leaning towards staying with our current cabin, but curious as to what others would do.

How do you get ahold of the upsell department??? Do you have a number???

That's the one! It seems like a pretty good cabin, and I'll probably stay with it unless the B1's price comes down far enough that it's within reach. $600 more is a bit much at this point.

Or, if I can snag an upsell, but it sounds like it's too far out for that. Guess I'll have to look again in 4 or 5 weeks or so.

Well if you end up staying there I would love to see some pictures and your opinion of it. I've been wondering if we could get a lounger chair out there if we asked. I've asked on here before but received conflicting answers.

Well if you end up staying there I would love to see some pictures and your opinion of it. I've been wondering if we could get a lounger chair out there if we asked. I've asked on here before but received conflicting answers.

If we wind up there, consider it done.

I'm a first time cruiser with a mid-ship mini-suite booked for October. I called my PCC to ask about the possibility of switching to an Aft Balcony (not angled, just standard) and it turns out both the room and balcony are smaller SF than what I have already booked. So I'm a little torn. I've heard wonderful things about Aft Balconies.... is the view that much nicer to sacrifice the square footage (and bath)?

Current cabin is 207 sf and balcony 44; the Aft Cabin would be 175 sf and 32 sf balcony.

What do those who've experience both think? TIA.

Edited by TenForward

The mini-suite bathroom on NCL Escape is awesome. Wife loved it. Sink has 2 faucets and large common 3' long rectangular sink basin. Shower (no tub) is large enough for 2 people, with rainfall shower head, AND 6 horizontal body jets. Highly recommend to get a minisuite for the bathroom alone. Room is large too with full size couch. Balcony is not large tho in our 12th deck minisuite. If you have a large balcony on your aft angle room, then you have to decide what you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The upsell dept will be dangling that H6 in front of you,,, but probably closer to your cruise date.

I wonder how much they'd want for it...I've seen pictures and I would be very tempted!

I wonder how much they'd want for it...I've seen pictures and I would be very tempted!

I just upgraded to Haven yesterday for a July 2nd sailing and it was under $1000 per person. I actually got a aft balcony and super excited!!! It was hard deciding between the aft and the courtyard. LOVE the aft balcony!!!

I just upgraded to Haven yesterday for a July 2nd sailing and it was under $1000 per person. I actually got a aft balcony and super excited!!! It was hard deciding between the aft and the courtyard. LOVE the aft balcony!!!

I upgraded to H6 on the 7/2 Escape yesterday as well ! Which deck are you on ? We are on 9. My wife was very surprised !

i called general reservations yesterday and got upgraded from a balcony to a mini-suite at no charge. no need to call a special number - reservations will offer you an upgrade too.

Upgrade and upsell are not the same thing.

In your case you upgraded, the mini-suite going rate must be equal or less than what you paid for a balcony. This can be done at any time and yes can be done through general reservations.

Upsell is a reduced fare which is less than the published rate. Mostly used to fill empty haven cabins a couple weeks before sailing.

-Matt

I upgraded to H6 on the 7/2 Escape yesterday as well ! Which deck are you on ? We are on 9. My wife was very surprised !

Glad to see they are on to the 7/2 sailing, im impatiently waiting for them to get to my 7/16 sailing! lol

-Matt

The mini-suite bathroom on NCL Escape is awesome. Wife loved it. Sink has 2 faucets and large common 3' long rectangular sink basin. Shower (no tub) is large enough for 2 people, with rainfall shower head, AND 6 horizontal body jets. Highly recommend to get a minisuite for the bathroom alone. Room is large too with full size couch. Balcony is not large tho in our 12th deck minisuite. If you have a large balcony on your aft angle room, then you have to decide what you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are in a 12th deck mini suite next month! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded to the Haven today for the 7/16 sailing, only 750 per person, and no charge for our third person. I chose the courtyard penthouse up on deck 17, but I am left to wonder...what in the hell do I do with a butler???

• 1 month later...

Hey Warm Breezes, we wound up not staying in this cabin after all. We upsold to a H7 Courtyard Penthouse in the Haven, and it was awesome...so I don't have any angle balcony pictures for you...sorry about that.