Tipping question

I find it crazy that so many pity the crew.

Yes they deserve the tips. But by no means do I feel bad for them or give them extra money because as some would say "they need it more then I do".

That is your opinion.

I find it crazy that so many pity the crew.

What is there to feel sad about? They make a choice to do this for a living just as you or I do when we go to work.

Do you feel just as sad for the server at Denny's who makes $200 a week but busts their butt to serve people? What about the housekeeper at the Hilton? It's hard work to do nothing but clean hotel rooms. Do you feel sad for them as well? Do you throw money at them to show your sadness?

Most people don't give a second thought to the people that serve them in day to day life yet claim to feel so bad for cruise ship workers. And always with the reasoning that they send money back to their families. So what. How does that impact anything. The server at your favorite restaurant isn't doing it because it's fun, they are doing it to support themselves and their family.

I find it condescending that people act like they are poor pathetic children and we should shower them with money to make up for their sad life.

Yes they deserve the tips. But by no means do I feel bad for them or give them extra money because as some would say "they need it more then I do".

People throw money to ease the guilt at having these kids run after them, catering to all their whimsical demands all week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you feel just as sad for the server at Denny's who makes $200 a week but busts their butt to serve people? What about the housekeeper at the Hilton? It's hard work to do nothing but clean hotel rooms. Do you feel sad for them as well? Do you throw money at them to show your sadness?

Well, I tip these folks too.... 20% rounded up to the next dollar to servers and $3-5/night to hotel housekeeping, assuming they provide good service.

With that said, I do not "feel sorry" for these people or think that I am a good person performing some kind of charity. I tip well because I can, and because I think that when someone performs a service well, a tip is a reasonable reward earned for a job well done. Same as other bonuses or incentives earned many earn at work, work hard and do your job well, you then get rewarded (rather than busting their tails for their minimal salaries, as tips are very common in service industries).

It doesn't matter what they are meant to be there for - what do they actually do? 99% of the time they interact with customers to serve them, help them, get them something, etc. Don't you think some FA that goes out her way to find space for that over-sized carry-on that won't fit deserves something extra? Or the one that keeps bringing your favorite drink because she learned what you like? Or find you a blanket when there are none to be found?

Biker, who as a million miler on UA has never needed an FA for anything other than a servant.

Sooo, does Biker tip them?

I have NEVER experienced this!

What I did see in the past (when tips were not prepaid) was a half empty dining room on the last night as people avoided paying tips.

It may be some like us but not all who ate in a different venue on the last night. On a couple of cruises we have ate in a specialty restaurant on the last night which we always make our Head waiter aware the night before, but I have we went to the MDR after we ate in the specialty restaurant on the last night to tip our Head Waiter and Assistant for the excellent service they provided all week. :cool:

The drinks in the CL are not "free". The CL facility is paid for as part of the suite price. One of the perks you pay for!

Saying that.....we stay in suites and do tip the CL hosts and C at the end of the cruise.

Suite gratuities are also higher than other cabins. I can only assume that some of that increase goes to the folks who work in those

lounges. (Part of it goes to the cabin steward, the other increased amount is just listed by RCL as "Housekeeping and Suite services")

Edited by ewenix

We typically tip a dollar per drink - since we get the drink package. I saw mentioned about handing cash vs writing in a tip on receipt. When it's written in- are the tips split with coworkers? If it's split - then. I need to rethink writing in a tip. I just don't always carry cash all the time on the ship.