Awkward Tipper

Juslaugh

Let me know the day you order a $400 bottle of wine. Until then, your comments are irrelevant as you have zilch to base any understanding on.

haha.....you have absolutely no idea what i do and do not know. feel free to take your hoity toitiness on down the road. :rolleyes:

The servers have to tip out the food runners 20%, the busser and hostess 10-20% each, and the bartender 10-20%. Bottom line, the $5 tip amounts to around $2 to the server when all is said and done.

When I pick up a fill in somm shift I get a salary, keep any cash handed to me, and get a percentage of the bottle sales from each server based on their tips.

I probably do a lot less heavy lifting, but I do a lot of schmoozing and ego stroking to businessmen trying to impress clients with their (dismal) knowledge of the (less than stellar 450% marked up) well known premium wine they ordered. It is my job to keep their glasses full and try to sell them more wine, but at the same time make sure they aren't intoxicated and driving. It's a slippery slope.

I also have to be discreetly sensitive to a young couple celebrating a special event who are obviously on a budget. Knowing the list and being able to suggest the hidden gems and having a happy guest--and not likely one to press a twenty into my palm--is also part of my job. The $1 tip out I might get from the server certainly doesn't cover the 10 minutes I spend trying to make them feel special during the evening.

Working a service floor is not an easy job. I suspect most of the people suggesting servers deserve a few cents and nothing more wouldn't last 10 minutes.

You do realize that not every restaurant works the same way, do you not? My daughter was hired as a hostess and had to work up to waitress. Two nieces at different restaurants had the same experience. None of them made tips as hosts nor did/do they need to tip out anyone else.

You do realize that not every restaurant works the same way, do you not? My daughter was hired as a hostess and had to work up to waitress. Two nieces at different restaurants had the same experience. None of them made tips as hosts nor did/do they need to tip out anyone else.

I am assuming they are working someplace like Cracker Barrel, not a fine dining restaurant.

If you sweat that much, see a doctor. If you leave sand in the bed you need to learn how to shower. As to sex, not sure how anyone typically makes such a mess that they need clean sheets daily.

Ahhh, dlite, you never fail to disappoint, regardless of the board or topic.

You need to get our more so you have a better understanding of the world.

I think I've been around the block a few times...lived in Lebanon, Hawaii for 9 years, Japan for three, Alaska for two, Vietnam for one, been around the world on a sub, been to the Philippines, Australia (Perth) quite a few times, Scotland, Diego Garcia (look it up), Africa, Italy, Panama and probably 80% of the states. I did all of this without stepping onboard a cruise ship which is probably the way you saw the world. Bottom line...you visited; I lived in most of the countries listed.

As I previously stated...you are a bore. Sorry.

Edited by Cushing985

I am assuming they are working someplace like Cracker Barrel, not a fine dining restaurant.

Hahahahahahaha You are just too much. Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about. This has to be an act, right? No one can get through life being this rude.

To satisfy others' curiosity, My daughter does work in a chain restaurant as it's her first waitressing job, however, my niece who is 30 something works in a high end restaurant in the San Diego area. On her own, she makes enough money to own a home (in Carlsbad) has a nice car and goes on exotic trips like Tahiti, the running of the Bulls, Majorca and a cruise to Antarctica. Trust me, she doesn't work at Cracker Barrel. The other one no longer waitresses, but hers wasn't CB or even close either.

Hahahahahahaha You are just too much. Clearly, you have no idea what you are talking about. This has to be an act, right? No one can get through life being this rude.

To satisfy others' curiosity, My daughter does work in a chain restaurant as it's her first waitressing job, however, my niece who is 30 something works in a high end restaurant in the San Diego area. On her own, she makes enough money to own a home (in Carlsbad) has a nice car and goes on exotic trips like Tahiti, the running of the Bulls, Majorca and a cruise to Antarctica. Trust me, she doesn't work at Cracker Barrel. The other one no longer waitresses, but hers wasn't CB or even close either.

While it's rare people like this do exist. You just have to do a good job avoiding them. I've always found they are sad individuals with very low self-esteem so they have to "pump" themselves up usually to the detriment of those around them.

Let me know the day you order a $400 bottle of wine. Until then, your comments are irrelevant as you have zilch to base any understanding on.

How long have you been an experienced sommelier? I seem to remember something from years past when you walked dogs for a living. Or was that someone else?

I admit to having been an oenophile for several decades, but I honestly can't remember the last time I read anything quite so insufferably pretentious. Not to mention irrelevant. Good job.

How long have you been an experienced sommelier? I seem to remember something from years past when you walked dogs for a living. Or was that someone else?

I admit to having been an oenophile for several decades, but I honestly can't remember the last time I read anything quite so insufferably pretentious. Not to mention irrelevant. Good job.

Thank you! An enlightening and very humorous post!