Specialty Dining on the Emerald

JohnS43

I'm going on a 14-day cruise in July on the Emerald. I'm a solo, and have a suite. So I gather that I'm entitled to a free dinner at a specialty restaurant on the first night. I've tried the Crown Grill on the Crown Princess, and it appears that the only other specialty restaurant on the Emerald is SHARE. (It doesn't look like they have the Salty Dog, but I can't tell for sure.) So is SHARE something that would be OK for a solo diner?

(I guess I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more specialty dining venues on the Emerald-- but maybe they do the Crab Shack on certain nights? Or something else?)

(I guess I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more specialty dining venues on the Emerald-- but maybe they do the Crab Shack on certain nights? Or something else?)

No Princess ship has more than two specialty restaurants. All have a steakhouse restaurant--Crown Grill, Sterling Steakhouse or Bayou Cafe--plus Sabatini's, with the exception of Emerald, Ruby and Sun which replaced Sabatini's with SHARE. (Dawn and Sea also having an informal sit down pizzeria in lieu of Sabatini's)

Crab Shack--and Fondues on Royal and Regal--are considered upcharge components of the Horizon Court. I've seen no reports of the Suite specialty dining benefit used there as they are usually not offered on embarkation night. Likewise Salty Dog just a menu item served in Wheelhouse on three certain ships, though it would be interesting to know if you could use the Suite benefit there.

(I also do not believe that the Sushi/seafood bars are considered full service Specialty dining on their ships; while carrying a charge, are they not simply "grab-and-go" dining?)

Edited by fishywood

Take a look at the menu for Share, on our last Cruise we ate their twice and really enjoyed it. Some people don't care for the selections. We also ate at the Crown Grill twice and the Salty Dog 3 times. We enjoyed them all. Share has a limited menu and we were told that it will change from time to time offering different selections. Anyone of these restaurants, portions are more then enough and you will be full.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. So it sounds like the only two options for specialty dining (on the first night, with the suite benefit) would be SHARE and the Crown Grill. As I mentioned, I did the Crown Grill on my last cruise, so I'd be interested in trying SHARE (and the menu looked tempting), but I wonder if it's appropriate for a solo diner. Any thoughts?

I would definitely like to try the Salty Dog this time, but I gather it's one of those places you don't reserve in advance, but rather just show up during the appropriate dining hours.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. So it sounds like the only two options for specialty dining (on the first night, with the suite benefit) would be SHARE and the Crown Grill. As I mentioned, I did the Crown Grill on my last cruise, so I'd be interested in trying SHARE (and the menu looked tempting), but I wonder if it's appropriate for a solo diner. Any thoughts?

I would definitely like to try the Salty Dog this time, but I gather it's one of those places you don't reserve in advance, but rather just show up during the appropriate dining hours.

Share would be fine to dine alone. Also Salty dog we reserved a time. It seemed to be busy on our cruise. At the Salty Dog you could sit at the bar and wait for a table or eat at the bar depending on your preference. The bar seemed to always have seats available.

You will be perfectly fine dining solo at SHARE. If Yuana from Chile is still the hostess she will make you feel very welcome. She was also the hostess for the Suite breakfast in Crown Grill so you will see her everyday.

As soon as you are in your cabin on embarkation day call the dine line and make your reservation for the time you desire.