Pre-cruise Ramblings...

Even though it is only DH and myself, we also enjoy using Hilton for many of our trips.

It is free to join their frequent traveler program and they have started giving special discounts if you are a member that are sometimes better than auto club discounts.

They may not always be the least expensive but sometimes the extra space and free pkg and bkfst(cooked not just cold) is worthwhile!

Even though it is only DH and myself, we also enjoy using Hilton for many of our trips.

It is free to join their frequent traveler program and they have started giving special discounts if you are a member that are sometimes better than auto club discounts.

They may not always be the least expensive but sometimes the extra space and free pkg and bkfst(cooked not just cold) is worthwhile!

Agree...we have gotten to the age where I know what I want...nice bed...nice sheets....and Hampton Inns and suites is perfect for us when we are on the road...also love the Embassy Suites!!

Hey Canadaman,

Congrats on your first cruise! I admit, my DH and I are both addicted too. We've never cruised in February though as I was a teacher and we always went in June. Now we are booked on Breeze for Sept. 4th! Can't wait! For us the planning and such are part of the package deal. We love having what we call "cruise time" and watch YouTube videos, hanging out on the cruise critic, and checking out the Galveston Cruise Cams which you can find here. http://www.galveston.com/pier23cam/# We like to watch the ship departing on Sundays around 4-6 PM depending on circumstances and this website also has information on where to stay and such.

Besides what everyone else has mentioned I would consider purchasing travel insurance but not with Carnival. We usually book with Travel Guard. Not an endorsement. Of course if you are on a strict budget, it would be pricy for 6 people. Most likely nothing will happen but if you do have an emergency it could really save your hide.

Driving vs. Flying... I would at least compare the price of flying vs. driving with the expense of hotel rooms, gas, meals, time and so forth. It may be worth splurging here to avoid any potential weather related problems. I would still plan on arriving a day early though.

Parking... We live in Houston so we never book a hotel and just drive down the morning of the cruise. That said, most of the hotels do offer cruise parking and a shuttle to the ship. Otherwise, you might consider booking with these folks. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Galveston+Park+N+Cruise/@29.3070603,-94.7974646,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8c327b684b7440c1!8m2!3d29.3070603!4d-94.7974646

They are directly across the street from the cruise terminal and you can drop off your luggage at the terminal and then go park or just walk across the street bags in tow. May be hard with small children though.

Make sure you have the proper travel documents:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1402/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ2NTUxMDI5MC9zaWQvS0J4QkdFU20%3D

Getting off the ship... I'm really anal about this and I know there are tons of folks who disagree with me. I'm overly cautious I admit so you folks that have other opinions please don't spam me. When you get off the ship, take your passports, credit cards, and a copy of the Fun Times that has emergency numbers printed in it and make certain that you stay on ship's time vs. local time with regard to departure. If for some reason you miss the ship you will need these documents to get to the next port. Highly unlikely but anything can happen. Again, I'm anal.

Excursions... I would book any excursions with Carnival. If for some reason the excursion is delayed, the ship will more likely than not wait until you arrive. Not a guarantee though from what I have read on these boards. We try to be back on the ship at least an hour before departure. Some don't mind cutting it close, real close, in some instances.

Sail and Sign Cards... Use a credit card with enough credit to cover your onboard expenses twice OR you can load your card with cash when you get on board. Carnival makes several preliminary deductions for your onboard charges throughout the week and then charges you the full amount at the end of the cruise. The deductions are reflected on your available balance but eventually fall away over the course of several days after the cruise. If you don't have enough money to cover the deductions AND the full cost of your expenditures you are out of luck! I'm sure others will have better ideas than I do but I've had this happen to me. Luckily, we did have enough to cover everything.

Well, that is all the wisdom I have on this topic. I'm sure all will be fine. We've never had a bad cruise. It is what you make of it. Don't complain about anything, go with the flow and enjoy your time. Just a little careful planning will go a long way into making your dream vacation come true.

This is coming from a Texan here. Be prepared the longest part of the drive will be when you are actually driving through the state. It goes on forever! Also, I know you are looking for two years from now, but we have been getting a lot of rain in April-June lately. East Texas all the way down to Houston keeps flooding and washing out roads. You might want to look into this and plan around the possibilities.

Remember, there are some of us from Ontario. It takes 24 hours to drive from one side of our province to another. Texarcana to Galveston is only 6 hours. Thats less than the difference from Ottawa to Windsor On (8 hours) to start our trip.

Remember, there are some of us from Ontario. It takes 24 hours to drive from one side of our province to another. Texarcana to Galveston is only 6 hours. Thats less than the difference from Ottawa to Windsor On (8 hours) to start our trip.

Never thought of that but you are right. It's crazy to think it is 24 hours or so across our province.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Congrats on booking your first cruise! I think the best gift you can give children is the gift of travel. There is so much in the world to see and do. We have traveled with our kids since they were little. We live in Northern Ontario and did a lot of driving. They will love the little surprises that you find along the way as you travel - stop at parks or waterfalls, or Jolly Green Giants! There will be something to stop and have a break to look at. As for the cruise, our first cruise our son was 15. He declared at the time that when he had a family, he was never taking another vacation besides a cruise because he loved it so much. He loved the kids clubs and met lots of kids to hang out with. Since then, we have gone to Europe,Whistler, and lots of other places. The first cruise has remained his all time favourite vacation. He will go on his second cruise with us this August. Don't believe when people tell you your kids will come to an age where they don't want to travel with you - ours are 20 and 23. They still want to travel with us - our daughter just did an Alaskan cruise with us, and the son will be doing a Carribean cruise and Florida with us in August. Have a great time planning - it will be here before you know it!

For a Galveston hotel check out Inn at the Water Park. Large rooms (2 double beds) with fridge & micro wave, pool, pee wee golf, week long parking and transfers r/t to the pier all included. The rates are reasonable but not sure if you can book this far out....Also if you stay a few days in Galveston there is the Air Museum, Moody Gardens and the Water Park just down the street.

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, don't forget to get passports!

Take lots of pictures and have your pictures taken by the ship's photographers at every opportunity.

A cruise is a wonderful way to see the world. Happy planning.

What a fun journey for your family! It will be a long drive, but when you are used to winter driving, what the heck. Make an adventure out of it. I was going to suggest your make a stop in Minneapolis, at the Mall of America, but then realized that your are much further East than I had originally envisioned.

I remember all the anticipation and planning that went into my first cruise too. That was a big part of the fun! There is some good information somewhere on the CC boards about useful items to pack etc. Maybe do a thread search for items not to forget. Mine would include....an over the door organizer for shoes etc. Maybe bring two and hang one over the bathroom door and toiletries etc. Bring a multi outlet charger strip that doesn't include a surge protector. This comes in handy for charging electronics. I like Tervis tumblers, insulated tumblers that can be used for water, coffee, tea, beverages on board. They have fun ones that you can order online and they last forever...made in USA and guaranteed for life(expect that sunscreen mares them and that is not covered).

Go to the CC boards that list the Ports of Call and see what things other people suggest to do in the ports that you will be visiting. There is a wealth of information about what is worth seeing at the various ports, including the home port.

Not sure what your itinerary is...We are sailing on the Breeze out of Galveston in July of 2016 so I will be available for questions about the Port etc if you need to know. This will be the third time sailing on the Breeze, my favorite ship so far!

Happy planning and travels too...

Deb

I totally get you :D

I decided we need to do something big and fun while the kids are still living at home. So we booked our first ever Caribbean cruise for July 24 2017. Eight days, four ports with Magic, should be fun! We're not American but live over 5000 miles from our embarkation port which is Port Canaveral. It'll mean a lot of planning as we also intend to spend some days in Florida before the cruise. But that just means more fun as I really like to plan WELL and ahead. The wife leaves it all always to me, sometimes it's a bit frustrating to be responsible for everything but in the end I like it. Almost 400 days to go and I, too, check the board almost daily. Have a good wait :D I know I'll do!

In case it hasn't already been mentioned, don't forget to get passports!

As Canadians, we have no choice. To cross over the US/Canada border, the passport is required. (ironically though, you can get back into Canada without your passport if you have to - as long as you have proof of citizenship).

As Canadians, we have no choice. To cross over the US/Canada border, the passport is required. (ironically though, you can get back into Canada without your passport if you have to - as long as you have proof of citizenship).

All six of us needed new passports before this trip We have got my wifes done already....

Love your "ramblings"! I, too, tend to ramble when I am posting on the roll calls that I have joined - in the past and current. But unfortunately, I'm usually rambling to myself and responding to myself!

Enjoy every moment of planning and talking about it. The sad truth is that the vacation lasts a short time out of the year - the planning lasts many weeks (or months). You must make that part of the overall excitement, or it is just a drop in the bucket of time!!

Love your "ramblings"! I, too, tend to ramble when I am posting on the roll calls that I have joined - in the past and current. But unfortunately, I'm usually rambling to myself and responding to myself!

Enjoy every moment of planning and talking about it. The sad truth is that the vacation lasts a short time out of the year - the planning lasts many weeks (or months). You must make that part of the overall excitement, or it is just a drop in the bucket of time!!

Completely agree!!!

There doesn't seem to be any hotels with a park and cruise rate for 6 people to a room. We could choose to do 2 rooms I guess but it adds to the cost. The port parking at Galveston is just $65 for a 7 day cruise I believe it said. There are also a few private lots right across the street that offer week long parking for closer to $50 for the week.

Being that I live down the road from Galveston, when we cruise, we just park at the parking lot on the strand. There are hotels in Galveston that let you park and they will shuttle you to the port. Not sure of the cost but it can be costly to stay on the seawall as we call it. It just depends on when you make it to the island.

Well I hate to be the one that bursts your bubble... but you're going to find that after you've completed that first cruise, you'll want to cruise again, and again... and again!! :D It's called the "cruise bug", and many of us have it now. It's terribly contagious!!

It is one bug I do not want a cure for!!!

Great reply!! It makes me even more excited!!

We looked at flying, but with 6 of us it is roughly $2500-3000. Then with us sailing from Galveston you still need to get a transfer to the terminal from the airport which isn't cheap. Driving will cost maybe $1500 round trip. And create many more memories....

We drive from Newmarket, Ontario, the drive is not bad at all :)

Take your time, take frequent short breaks get out of car at those rest stop, race the kids across the grass, quick bathroom break and back in the car again. Make a world of difference when you can stretch your legs. I still remember as a kid travelling with my parents and when we would get antsy they would roll all of the windows all the way down, we would scream as loud and as long as we could and shake our arms and our legs (not the driver!). Amazing the amount of energy that that gets out :)

Anyway, enjoy your cruise, I am sure everyone will have a blast!

We drive from Newmarket, Ontario, the drive is not bad at all :)

Take your time, take frequent short breaks get out of car at those rest stop, race the kids across the grass, quick bathroom break and back in the car again. Make a world of difference when you can stretch your legs. I still remember as a kid travelling with my parents and when we would get antsy they would roll all of the windows all the way down, we would scream as loud and as long as we could and shake our arms and our legs (not the driver!). Amazing the amount of energy that that gets out :)

Anyway, enjoy your cruise, I am sure everyone will have a blast!

What route do you take down to Texas?

Some suggestions for keeping the kids busy on the drive:

Give them some iTunes cash to update ipods

Puzzle books

Crafts (DD would make braided anklets and beaded lanyards)

Car Bingo

License Plate Game (look up other car games on line)

Start an improve story where each person adds one word to a story

A new one for us this last trip was adult coloring books

At hotels (especially ones like Embassy Suites with a managers reception and a table in the room) we would bring different card games and play as a family. Examples are Euchre, Uno, Phase 10, Scramble Slam, Monopoly Deal, Mille Bornes, etc.

When my kids were younger I would have them make a travel journal with a 3 ring binder with clear slide in cover and slide in page protectors. They would color a picture to slide in for the cover and then make their own pages taping things to a blank piece of paper, (pictures, post cards, shells, S&S card, etc) or sliding papers in (fun times, color pages, kids activities, etc). I would find travel journal pages on-line that we would print ahead of time and they would fill in during the trip. It makes for some nice memory books to sit out at their graduations.

We would have each kid have a back pack that they could bring their own stuff in (not clothes). They could only bring what they could carry. My DD's 10 cent garage sale lambie has been on as many cruises as she has with pictures taken with many towel animals...the last when being last month (DD is 19 :D)

When you stop at rest areas have them race to the rest rooms, jump, do cartwheels, or dance as my DD would do. Anything to stretch and let off some energy.

P1010023.jpg.0be1300d5707f05995bae2cef693bb67.jpg

Edited by Warm Breezes

Some suggestions for keeping the kids busy on the drive:

Give them some iTunes cash to update ipods

Puzzle books

Crafts (DD would make braided anklets and beaded lanyards)

Car Bingo

License Plate Game (look up other car games on line)

Start an improve story where each person adds one word to a story

A new one for us this last trip was adult coloring books

At hotels (especially ones like Embassy Suites with a managers reception and a table in the room) we would bring different card games and play as a family. Examples are Euchre, Uno, Phase 10, Scramble Slam, Monopoly Deal, Mille Bornes, etc.

When my kids were younger I would have them make a travel journal with a 3 ring binder with clear slide in cover and slide in page protectors. They would color a picture to slide in for the cover and then make their own pages taping things to a blank piece of paper, (pictures, post cards, shells, S&S card, etc) or sliding papers in (fun times, color pages, kids activities, etc). I would find travel journal pages on-line that we would print ahead of time and they would fill in during the trip. It makes for some nice memory books to sit out at their graduations.

We would have each kid have a back pack that they could bring their own stuff in (not clothes). They could only bring what they could carry. My DD's 10 cent garage sale lambie has been on as many cruises as she has with pictures taken with many towel animals...the last when being last month (DD is 19 :D)

Cool! Thanks!!

I LOVE the enthusiasm of first time cruisers! Doesn't matter how many cruises you go on, there's nothing like that first time! While you definitely want to take lots of pics, make sure you're not experiencing the entire cruise through your camera. Take time to just take it all in. Go to the very back of the ship and watch the wake. It's mesmerizing. Looking forward to your ramblings. :)

I'm a planner too :) I've only cruised three times now, with a fourth booked in January 2017 but it is definitely my very favorite way to vacation so far. 2 of the 3 cruises I have taken were booked about a year out so I spent untold hours planning for them. My most recent cruise, last April, was booked on a whim (my kids are finally grown so I could do that) with my sister and we had only 4 weeks to plan. It was crazy how little time I had to iron everything out, especially considering it was from Galveston. That can be a tricky port if you aren't driving. I generally dislike long roadtrips, especially if I have to be the driver, and we flew.

One bit of advice I have for you is to be careful not too put every tip you read to practice, considering the very long time you have to research. I am a researcher. ANY new thing in my life gets a ton of internet searching, reading and general obsessing. With a cruise, you can pick up so many tips, find so many things to worry about, you can drive yourself nuts.

On our first cruise, I packed a ton of things that we really didn't actually need. I think I still have the fancy schmancy sail and sign card holders that no one actually used. We went way too far over the top for elegant night, and spent way too much money on it. You will pick up a million little tips that sound like such a good idea, they become necessary in your head. The reality is, remember your sunscreen, swimsuits and passports and you're going to be fine. I have made it through three cruises without an over the door organizer and lived to tell the tale :) That said, this next cruise we are being insane and putting four of us in a balcony room, and I'm actually going to bring one this time. Bottom line though, many of these little cruise necessities add up to quite a bit of money spent. Be careful of that.

I'm a rambler, obsesser, and like to type long posts. There are quite a few of us on this site. We'll keep ya company. I'm jealous of your first cruise experience! There's nothing quite like that first time you step into the atrium on your first ship.

Edited by DenaInWyo

Oh hey..two more random thoughts:

Audio books for the drive. Pick something the whole family will enjoy like Harry Potter or some such. Great way to shorten the miles.

You're quite a ways out, but be sure to be watching for your roll call group. I am still in touch with friends made on all three of my cruises and they really enhanced my experience and were great for the long wait. Apparently FB roll calls are pretty popular now too, so check this site and also do a search for your ship + date on the other.

Oh hey..two more random thoughts:

Audio books for the drive. Pick something the whole family will enjoy like Harry Potter or some such. Great way to shorten the miles.

You're quite a ways out, but be sure to be watching for your roll call group. I am still in touch with friends made on all three of my cruises and they really enhanced my experience and were great for the long wait. Apparently FB roll calls are pretty popular now too, so check this site and also do a search for your ship + date on the other.

Audio books sounds like it could work. Never thought of that.