Newark airport area hotel or Staten Island

mpcaruth

We are driving from Virginia to cruise out of Cape Liberty. We will be staying in a hotel the night before the cruise. Given equal price and amenities offered for a hotel, which is the better location? Newark airport area or Staten Island? I am interested in an easy drive to the port with the least possibility of traffic jams. We plan to arrive at the port around 10:30.

Please note, I already have a hotel booked after the cruise for two nights on Staten Island, so that may make a difference on toll costs. Also, I have checked the Bayonne bridge closings and it appears the bridge will be open.

Thanks!

We are driving from Virginia to cruise out of Cape Liberty. We will be staying in a hotel the night before the cruise. Given equal price and amenities offered for a hotel, which is the better location? Newark airport area or Staten Island? I am interested in an easy drive to the port with the least possibility of traffic jams. We plan to arrive at the port around 10:30.

Please note, I already have a hotel booked after the cruise for two nights on Staten Island, so that may make a difference on toll costs. Also, I have checked the Bayonne bridge closings and it appears the bridge will be open.

Thanks!

Ok - so you're doing this on this Saturday? Personally, coming from the south I'd be staying at Exit 8 or Exit 8a on the NJ Turnpike, which is about 45 minutes from the port. That way you don't have to deal with either the Newark Airport traffic or finding your way around Staten Island. What time do you expect to arrive in the area?

Ok - so you're doing this on this Saturday? Personally, coming from the south I'd be staying at Exit 8 or Exit 8a on the NJ Turnpike, which is about 45 minutes from the port. That way you don't have to deal with either the Newark Airport traffic or finding your way around Staten Island. What time do you expect to arrive in the area?

Yes, we will arrive in the area tomorrow around 4 or 5 pm. I have reservations that I can cancel at a northern airport hotel. I found a good deal on Hotwire today for a hotel on Staten Island. I want to get to the port on Saturday morning as easily and quickly. I want to be one of the first ones to board the ship and try to make show, dinner, and activity reservations. Most reservation slots were unavailable when we booked our Anthem cruise. And the few reservations we were able to make got switched by Royal earlier this week.

We will be coming into NY/NJ from I-78, not I-95.

Edited by mpcaruth

Which Newark Airport hotel? Coming in I78 I would stay at the airport and not mess with trying to get to Staten Island during the Friday afternoon rush hour. It's going to cost you some turpike toll and a hefty bridge toll to get onto Staten Island.

The hotels on the north side of the airport are easily accessed from I78.

Which Newark Airport hotel? Coming in I78 I would stay at the airport and not mess with trying to get to Staten Island during the Friday afternoon rush hour. It's going to cost you some turpike toll and a hefty bridge toll to get onto Staten Island.

The hotels on the north side of the airport are easily accessed from I78.

Thanks for your advice!!! We will keep our airport hotel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To get to the port you get back on the turnpike at exit 14 and follow the signs to exit 14A. The latest directions from our Bayonne locals say to stay left at the toll plaza and follow the signs to route 440 south. Once on 440 you stay left and make a left at the first light into the port.

What are your plans for getting to Staten Island the following Thur morning? If you self disembark, you should be able to make it across the Bayonne Bridge, which is scheduled to close at 9 am. If that doesn't suit, you will have to get back on the turnpike west to the airport, go south to exit 13, and take the Giethals bridge to Staten Island.

Is going out to the Statue of Liberty in your plans? If so, you might want to do that when you disembark. It's an easy drive to Liberty State Park from the port and parking is only $7! With your Statue of Liberty ticket stub, you can go into Manhattan after the statue, do lower Manhattan and the 911 stuff, and return to Liberty State Park via the Liberty Landing ferry for $5/pp. it appears that the Bayonne Bridge will be open after 3 pm.