Two Nights Pre-Cruise - Venice

leongcpa

We have two nights pre-cruise in Venice. This will be our fourth visit to Venice so we have seen all of Venice and are looking at spending the two nights pre-cruise somewhere else. We've narrowed our options to: (1) Verona, (2) Trieste or (3) Ljubljana, Slovenia. Has anyone been to all three? Opinions?

Thanks!

We've not been to any of those three ports, but for our upcoming cruise on NCL Jade out of Venice in September, we are staying 2 nights in Padova pre-cruise, for the Scrovegni Chapel and the Basilica. Easy transport from Marco Polo to Padova and then to Venice. Really looking forward to it. Wherever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks! I'll look at Padova too.

We've not been to any of those three ports, but for our upcoming cruise on NCL Jade out of Venice in September, we are staying 2 nights in Padova pre-cruise, for the Scrovegni Chapel and the Basilica. Easy transport from Marco Polo to Padova and then to Venice. Really looking forward to it. Wherever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'm sure you know Verona is famous for Juliet's balcony (which is fake, of course - it's an old building but the balcony was added on for the tourists!). Other than that, it's a nice city with some typical Italian historic buildings, but if you've seen Florence, for instance, you're not going to see anything you haven't seen before.

I can't comment on Trieste or Ljubljana. However if I had a couple of days free, I would go to the lakes. Trains go from the Santa Lucia train station in Venice to Peschiera del Garda.

While Verona is famous for Romeo and Juliet....its real fame these days is the amazing opera program during the summer months. Verona has major opera in the ancient Roman Arena, and it is actually the largest Opera venue in the world...holding somewhere near 15,000 (and it is often sold out). So, if you will be in the region on the right night (check the online schedule) this is something not to be missed (even for those not big opera fans). And if they happen to be doing Aida.....run...don't walk to buy tickets.

We cannot comment on the other two options since we have not been to those places.

Hank

We travelled from Treviso to Ljubljana with Opti shuttle, it's about 3 hrs over the mountains. Ljubljana is lovely and worth visiting. The centre if the town is well preserved and charming. We stayed in Hotel Slon. It's a Best Western and was good. Easy bus trip to Lake Bled. Ken

• 1 month later...
We travelled from Treviso to Ljubljana with Opti shuttle, it's about 3 hrs over the mountains. Ljubljana is lovely and worth visiting. The centre if the town is well preserved and charming. We stayed in Hotel Slon. It's a Best Western and was good. Easy bus trip to Lake Bled. Ken

I am thinking of using the Opti shuttle. Did you book the transfer for the day that you arrived via flight? I'm thinking of having them pick us up at the airport in Venice, and then going directly to Ljubljana. Ljubljana looks lovely; it's a little tight but I was also thinking of packing in a visit to Postojna Caves during the 1.5 days we will be there...

Padua, Verona and Vicenza are very nice and close together. You can also rent a car and tour the Palladian villas. You are also close to the mountains and can visit where they make Prosecco. Asolo is a lovely town, and nearby Maser has a great villa by Palladio. Bassano Della grappa is very cute, a lot to see in that area. Trieste is an interesting city with a mix of Eastern European feel to it. The coast line nearby is beautiful and there is a lovely castle to visit on the waterfront. Either way you won't be so rushed. So many choices. You can also stay partway to Trieste and visit the lagoon and the church with great mosaics. One other thought is nearby Ravenna. The mosaics are stunning as is the food in this lovely town. Love Italy!

I am thinking of using the Opti shuttle. Did you book the transfer for the day that you arrived via flight? I'm thinking of having them pick us up at the airport in Venice, and then going directly to Ljubljana. Ljubljana looks lovely; it's a little tight but I was also thinking of packing in a visit to Postojna Caves during the 1.5 days we will be there...

We booked it online well before the trip. You put in the time of your flight and you're given a window within which your shuttle should arrive. For your return, you select the time by which you need to be back at the airport and they give you a pickup time.

Verona is lovely, I spent a bit of time there but would NOT bother visit Juliet's balcony....over crowded and a tight space, it's a sight built to fulfill fictitious, albeit wonderful Shakespeare, whim.

Otherwise, indeed the Arena di Verona is a glorious 2,000 year old roman amphitheater that is home not only to a glorious Opera series but also Jazz and Pop concerts too.

The city has great dining, shopping, architecture and other cultural options...it is nice to stroll through both the Piazza Erbe and Piazza Bra, there are markets. A lot of course depends upon the time of year and days of the week that you visit but it is overall an enchanting Northern Italian city that most people enjoy - I certainly did.

If I had the option, I might want to go to Ljubljana - it has been on the list of up and coming Eastern European cities for quite a while now...hard to say how long it will stay on the quiet and undiscovered list. Once upon a time, Prague was on that list! ;)

We booked it online well before the trip. You put in the time of your flight and you're given a window within which your shuttle should arrive. For your return, you select the time by which you need to be back at the airport and they give you a pickup time.

How was the service? Was it pretty easy to find the shuttle at the airport? I also wonder what would happen if you get delayed in mid-air?

Thanks!