Gibraltar questions

There are a few tours from Gib to Ronda (and elsewhere in Spain), but the timings don't work for a cruiser's port-of-call day, eg

http://www.blandstravel.com/spain-tours/

Operators daren't gear tours that suit cruisers because of the delays at the Spanish order crossing, mentioned by the wheezer.

If a tour returns late, locals & those vacationing in Gib will have a late dinner. But those returning to a cruise ship will have a long swim to the next port. :eek:

Yes, like many Caribbean islands, Gib is small so has its limitations second-time-around. But there will be things to see & do that you didn't do last time.

Tour the WW2 tunnels? (not the same as the Great Siege tunnels seen by folk on an upper Rock taxi tour).

Take the cable car up if you did the taxi tour last time, or vice-versa?

A strenuous hike up the Mediterranean Steps?

A little taxi circumnavigation at sea level (Europa Point & the Med tunnel) & get dropped at Catalan Bay for a lazy day on the beach?

A ship's dolphin-spotting boat trip?

A more in-depth exploration of the town's minor sights? And pubs.

If you want to cross into Spain, the only practical way to do it is by taking a bus or taxi to the border, crossing on foot (usually no significant delays for those on foot), and renting a pre-booked car there. There are several agencies a short walk from the border, google "car hire, La Linea de la Concepcion". Nearest, and a reputable international brand, is SixT.

(btw, on the Spanish side you'll see hundreds of cars parked in the streets & parking lots - folk who drive to La Linea & cross to Gib on foot)

But that complication will cost at least 30 to 40 minutes each way - longer if the road to the border is closed while an aircraft is taking off or landing, because the road crosses the runway.

Add about 90 minutes each way for the drive to Ronda (you can make a pleasant round-trip by going to Ronda via Gaucin & back via San Pedro), plus at least a couple of hours in Ronda, including parking - which can be problematic.

That comes to a bare minimum of about 6.5 hours.

Alternatively Tarifa, an attractive walled Moorish town on the Atlantic coast, is only about a 45 minute drive from the border. Doesn't compare to Ronda, but very pleasant. And en-route at the top of the hill near El Pelayo (parking in the café/kiosk) there's a viewpoint with stunning views of the Straits & north Africa.

JB :)

John Bull has given some good options. I would go for the Med Steps or a Dolphin Safari but it depends on the weather. We have had a really windy couple of days so I don't think a boat trip would be such fun.

The only way I think a trip across the border would work would be if your next stop was Malaga and you are prepared to make your way up the coast on your own if you miss sailaway. Tarifa, Ronda, Jerez, Marbella, Estepona - they all make great trips but the frontier can cause such delays. There is no predictable pattern to the queues, apart from political tension makes them longer.

I have a tour when we visit and the tour company will drop us at the ship or in town. My question is what type of transportation from town back to the ship? Someone mentioned no cabs readily available. If there is a shuttle bus can you buy a one way ticket or do I need to purchase a round trip? And, is it purchased from the ship or somewhere else? Thanks for any info. I just know I can't make a long walk back to the port.

I have a tour when we visit and the tour company will drop us at the ship or in town. My question is what type of transportation from town back to the ship? Someone mentioned no cabs readily available. If there is a shuttle bus can you buy a one way ticket or do I need to purchase a round trip? And, is it purchased from the ship or somewhere else? Thanks for any info. I just know I can't make a long walk back to the port.

The taxis run a shuttle service from the centre of town (Casemates Square) to the cruise ship. After your tour you may well want to stop to make a few purchases or to have a drink if it is sunny. The walk is actually not that far, if you are reasonably healthy. I am in my late 50s and would not dream of getting a taxi for that distance - my walk in to work is further.

There are usually taxis, but if it is busy you may have to wait. Some of the factors are the day of the week, the size of your ship, if there is more than one ship in port and perhaps if the time you want the shuttle clashes with taxis going to do pick ups at the airport (speculation on my part).

My office over looks where the shuttle stop is presently situated. The other day I heard some shouting and kerfuffle. I think someone was trying to jump the queue!!! It sounded as if it could have got unpleasant. The queue looked really long. I thought to go down and tell them they would be back on board quicker if they walked - but unsolicited advice is never usually appreciated:o

I suppose it depends on how much time you have, there surely will be a taxi eventually - just don't cut it too fine.