Gibraltar questions

I'll be in Gibraltar Sept. 14, 2016 on the Emerald Princess. Unfortunately, we have a very small, inactive Roll Call w/little action on pvt. tours.

I want to do a 2-3 hr. taxi tour, but I also want to do the cable car up the Rock. I understand the cable car line gets quite long after mid-morning. But the taxi/tours may be full by the same time.

So, should I get a taxi to the cable car first & hope to arrange a tour after or reverse? I'm a solo senior w/walking issues so I need to plan on "transport".

Also -- will I have a problem getting a tour seat as I'm solo? The taxi/vans are all 6 or 8 passenger, right? How do the drivers handle an odd number of passengers?

Thanks!

Have you checked to see if one of the Princess excursions covers the cable car ride and anything else you want to see? That will probably be the best option.

Also, I have organized many independent tours in a few Med ports and often we had a uneven number participating. Some were solo passengers and some were extra family members. So don't worry about that at all. :)

I'm not sure what your itinerary is but there are shared tours sites for most of the Italy ports that you can join. Very easy to do on line. Let me know if you need some links.

Thanks, Linda

Yes, Princess has an excursion that includes the cable car; I'd just like to do it without the large group/bus style. It's also rather pricey for the short time offered.

I have booked short excursions in the 3 Italian ports (I've been to those before), but I'm trying to figure out what to do at the Marseille stop. As a single, senior female, I hesitate to do a taxi tour on my own. The Roll Call for this cruise is very small & not active so creating tours hasn't worked.

Suggestions for tours in Marseille? Yes, I've scoured that forum.:confused:

I was just in Gibraltar and wandering as a single (husband sick on board ship) and I can tell you getting a taxi was not easy. There was van transportation by the dock selling RT for (I think) 6 Euros. I walked into town. When done, no transportation vans available at drop off spot to get back to the ship .... so if I bought the RT ?????? :rolleyes:

In the end, I had a hard time finding a taxi to take me back to the ship. They were only interested in doing multi-person tours.

If you REALLY want to do the cable car, take the ship's tour. That's the only way you can be guaranteed to do what you want to do. I wouldn't place my plans in the hope of getting a taxi as a single person.

Matter of fact, I was so annoyed with the situation, that I complained at the tourist information desk inside the terminal. The woman I spoke with was very understanding but just rolled her eyes, like she's heard this before.

If you want to take a van tour of the Rock from the cruise terminal, being a singleton isn't a problem - one isn't the only odd number, there's threes and fives too. And even if the van goes with one empty seat, it's no big deal and not your problem.:)

But getting a Rock tour rom the cruise terminal later in the day will be difficult, even for a group.

If you also want to ride the cablecar (though I don't really see the point cos it takes you to the same place) it's probably best to ask the driver to drop you at the cablecar station at the end of the van tour. but I don't know what the cable car lines will be like, or how easy to get a taxi after your cable car ride from the cable car station back to the ship.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I was just in Gibraltar and wandering as a single (husband sick on board ship) and I can tell you getting a taxi was not easy. There was van transportation by the dock selling RT for (I think) 6 Euros. I walked into town. When done, no transportation vans available at drop off spot to get back to the ship .... so if I bought the RT ?????? :rolleyes:

In the end, I had a hard time finding a taxi to take me back to the ship. They were only interested in doing multi-person tours.

If you REALLY want to do the cable car, take the ship's tour. That's the only way you can be guaranteed to do what you want to do. I wouldn't place my plans in the hope of getting a taxi as a single person.

Matter of fact, I was so annoyed with the situation, that I complained at the tourist information desk inside the terminal. The woman I spoke with was very understanding but just rolled her eyes, like she's heard this before.

I get disappointed when I hear the occasional story like this. At times the taxi service can be frustrating. There are "city service" only taxis that cannot refuse a service, but tourists don't have the time to exert any pressure by reporting the vans who do refuse them. However in the taxi's defence at the time you were looking for your ride there may have been a plane arriving so they had all gone to pick up the arriving passengers. There could have been some big traffic hold up somewhere and so the taxi service was slow.

My office overlooks the taxi rank in Casemates (on the hill going up to Pizza Hut) and i noticed several times this week that there were loads of taxis queueing up for passengers - they were actually causing traffic congestion. I recall thinking that they are rarely there at 3 am on a Saturday night when I want a quick ride home.

So that just gives some context. The taxi service can be patchy for many reasons.

Obviously I have never done a Rock tour from the port, but I do believe that the taxis encourage individuals to join other groups. Being a solo should not be a problem. The most typical tourist would choose between the taxi or the cable car as a way up to the Nature Reserve and the tourist sites. If you want to avoid taxis completely you can walk into town and take a bus £1.50 single I think, from Casemates bus station up to the Cable car. A 2, 4 or 9 will take you there. The walk into town is flat and very clear. Lots of passengers do it.

I rarely pass by the Cable Car station in the day time. I do believe that if big ships are in that there can be queues. The early bird catches the worm.

The taxi gives you a guided tour. The Cable car is a fun way of getting quickly to the top of the rock. There is no one there to interpret it for you. I went to a reception at the Top Station a few weeks ago and reminded myself that the views from up there are stunning. The taxi gives you great views, the Cable Car is just a few metres higher. You can get a return cable car or go to the top and walk down. Walking down and visiting the sites along the way (St Michael's Cave, Apes Den, Tunnels, Tower of Homage) is fairly straightforward and you will end up in the Old Town Area with a short walk down to Main Street where you can shop, have lunch and get back to the ship. If you are going to be visiting all of the sites, you need to allow yourself 3 or 4 hours.

To the OP, I hope that you enjoy your trip to Gibraltar. Enjoy the stunning views but be like a local and don't feed the Apes.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been many years since we were in Gibraltar. We took the cable car up and loved the amazing views. Can someone tell me what the rates for the cable car is nowadays? Thanks!

Edited by mississauga

It has been many years since we were in Gibraltar. We took the cable car up and loved the amazing views. Can someone tell me what the rates for the cable car is nowadays? Thanks!

This link gives you all of the information

http://gibraltarinfo.gi/en/tickets/

You can walk from the ship to the cable car station - probably takes about 40 minutes through town. You can also catch a Number 2 4 or 9 bus from the Casemates although if there are a group of you, it is easier to get a taxi to take you to the Cable Car station (but they will try to encourage you just to take a taxi tour of the whole rock - it is about £22 per person I think and a perfectly good option of seeing the same product).

If you are on a big ship and if there is more than one ship in port (on Weds I noticed there were two big ships in port) then I recommend if you do want the Cable car, then you go early. The queues can get quite long. If it is a misty day you will have chance to have a coffee up there while you wait for the clouds to melt away.

This link gives you all of the information

http://gibraltarinfo.gi/en/tickets/

You can walk from the ship to the cable car station - probably takes about 40 minutes through town. You can also catch a Number 2 4 or 9 bus from the Casemates although if there are a group of you, it is easier to get a taxi to take you to the Cable Car station (but they will try to encourage you just to take a taxi tour of the whole rock - it is about £22 per person I think and a perfectly good option of seeing the same product).

If you are on a big ship and if there is more than one ship in port (on Weds I noticed there were two big ships in port) then I recommend if you do want the Cable car, then you go early. The queues can get quite long. If it is a misty day you will have chance to have a coffee up there while you wait for the clouds to melt away.

Thank you Ollie and Bert's mum. Do you know if there are ATM's by the port to exchange into pounds or should we have pounds exchanged back home? We are from Canada.

Thank you Ollie and Bert's mum. Do you know if there are ATM's by the port to exchange into pounds or should we have pounds exchanged back home? We are from Canada.

I am sorry but I have no idea about ATMs at the port. I don't ever go into that area!!

Maybe another cruiser who has visited Gibraltar can tell you that.

There are ATMs on Main Street (quite near to Casemates), at some of the petrol stations, at Morrisons superstore which is actually not that far from the port if you decide on an early morning walk to the Cable Car.

You could just plan for about £25 per person to cover the tour and any other purchases would be done on a credit card. Be warned that if you don't ask for your change in sterling you may get Gibraltar pounds. They are worth exactly the same for us, but Gibraltar notes are not accepted as Sterling outside Gibraltar (in the same way that notes from Scotland currently are accepted).

If memory serves me correctly there were several places to change money along the main street. However, I had no problem using Euros for my one cab ride. From what I've read, Euros should be fine although you probably won't get the best exchange rate. However, I thought it was better than ending up with leftover Gibraltar pounds.

If memory serves me correctly there were several places to change money along the main street. However, I had no problem using Euros for my one cab ride. From what I've read, Euros should be fine although you probably won't get the best exchange rate. However, I thought it was better than ending up with leftover Gibraltar pounds.

Ah yes there are ATMs on Main Street and lots of Exchange Bureaux that give good rates. The question had been about an ATM at the Port. As a resident, I do not go in to the port area so I wouldn't really know.

Edited by ollienbertsmum
Is that the plural of Bureau ???

I am sorry but I have no idea about ATMs at the port. I don't ever go into that area!!

Maybe another cruiser who has visited Gibraltar can tell you that.

There are ATMs on Main Street (quite near to Casemates), at some of the petrol stations, at Morrisons superstore which is actually not that far from the port if you decide on an early morning walk to the Cable Car.

You could just plan for about £25 per person to cover the tour and any other purchases would be done on a credit card. Be warned that if you don't ask for your change in sterling you may get Gibraltar pounds. They are worth exactly the same for us, but Gibraltar notes are not accepted as Sterling outside Gibraltar (in the same way that notes from Scotland currently are accepted).

Again, thank you or your wealth of information. It always helps when someone local chimes in

Maybe ok for a cab ride but I am sure we will need local currency for a bus or cable car ride.

Edited by mississauga

Ah yes there are ATMs on Main Street and lots of Exchange Bureaux that give good rates. The question had been about an ATM at the Port. As a resident, I do not go in to the port area so I wouldn't really know.

When we were in Gibraltar in 2013 the cruise terminal had an ATM. When we returned in October 2015 there was no ATM in the cruise terminal. My husband checked with the visitor info center in the terminal to confirm that there was no longer an ATM (ie, check that it hadn't been moved), and they provided a map which had ATM locations clearly identified.

When we were in Gibraltar in 2013 the cruise terminal had an ATM. When we returned in October 2015 there was no ATM in the cruise terminal. My husband checked with the visitor info center in the terminal to confirm that there was no longer an ATM (ie, check that it hadn't been moved), and they provided a map which had ATM locations clearly identified.

Thank you. That is helpful info.

Thank you. That is helpful info.

If you have Euros use them, because of the BREXIT (UK went out of the EU)

Pound went down and now they offered me better prices when you pay in EURO cash, they have fear that the pound will going down further.

No need to have their currency

Pound went down and now they offered me better prices when you pay in EURO cash, they have fear that the pound will going down further.

We only have the same unease as anyone in the UK. You still are usually better off paying in sterling in Gibraltar. Just keep an eye on the exchange rate though - if someone wants your custom they may well offer a good rate as part of any discount you are bartering.

The UK is still in the EU and will be for at least 2yrs,as under the EU regulations there is a 2 year period of talks to agree the terms of the separation, this starts when the UK activates Article 50 of the EU constitution which it has not done yet and may not do till later this year.

Does anyone know of any tour companies that would visit nearby Spain cities from Gibraltar? I'm not finding anything. Ronda looks pretty close & id love to visit from Gibraltar. I've been to Gibraltar before & don't really want to spend the day there again.

Does anyone know of any tour companies that would visit nearby Spain cities from Gibraltar? I'm not finding anything. Ronda looks pretty close & id love to visit from Gibraltar. I've been to Gibraltar before & don't really want to spend the day there again.

The problem for many tours to Spain that might seem reasonable in distance is the risk of delay at the return border crossing. As noted in these boards sometimes the spainiards just elect to close or dramatically slow down the border and then your stuck in no mans land.

There are a few tours from Gib to Ronda (and elsewhere in Spain), but the timings don't work for a cruiser's port-of-call day, eg

http://www.blandstravel.com/spain-tours/

Operators daren't gear tours that suit cruisers because of the delays at the Spanish order crossing, mentioned by the wheezer.

If a tour returns late, locals & those vacationing in Gib will have a late dinner. But those returning to a cruise ship will have a long swim to the next port. :eek:

Yes, like many Caribbean islands, Gib is small so has its limitations second-time-around. But there will be things to see & do that you didn't do last time.

Tour the WW2 tunnels? (not the same as the Great Siege tunnels seen by folk on an upper Rock taxi tour).

Take the cable car up if you did the taxi tour last time, or vice-versa?

A strenuous hike up the Mediterranean Steps?

A little taxi circumnavigation at sea level (Europa Point & the Med tunnel) & get dropped at Catalan Bay for a lazy day on the beach?

A ship's dolphin-spotting boat trip?

A more in-depth exploration of the town's minor sights? And pubs.

If you want to cross into Spain, the only practical way to do it is by taking a bus or taxi to the border, crossing on foot (usually no significant delays for those on foot), and renting a pre-booked car there. There are several agencies a short walk from the border, google "car hire, La Linea de la Concepcion". Nearest, and a reputable international brand, is SixT.

(btw, on the Spanish side you'll see hundreds of cars parked in the streets & parking lots - folk who drive to La Linea & cross to Gib on foot)

But that complication will cost at least 30 to 40 minutes each way - longer if the road to the border is closed while an aircraft is taking off or landing, because the road crosses the runway.

Add about 90 minutes each way for the drive to Ronda (you can make a pleasant round-trip by going to Ronda via Gaucin & back via San Pedro), plus at least a couple of hours in Ronda, including parking - which can be problematic.

That comes to a bare minimum of about 6.5 hours.

Alternatively Tarifa, an attractive walled Moorish town on the Atlantic coast, is only about a 45 minute drive from the border. Doesn't compare to Ronda, but very pleasant. And en-route at the top of the hill near El Pelayo (parking in the café/kiosk) there's a viewpoint with stunning views of the Straits & north Africa.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull