Katakolon - 2nd Visit

Two from Virginia

Hi

We will visit this port twice during our cruise. We have booked a tour to Ancient Olympia the first time but are wondering what we can do in Katakolon the next time we are in port. Are there any "must sees" or things to do? It seems most of the most on here are relatively old.

Thanks in advance.

We have been there 4 times, taken various tours, rented cars. and probably done just about everything in the region. Bottom line is that Olympia is the only decent tourist attraction. With a rental car (or tour) you can visit the nearby winery (it sucks), go to a beach area (nothing great) or visit a nearby city such as Pyrgos (not worth the effort).

Hank

We have been there 4 times, taken various tours, rented cars. and probably done just about everything in the region. Bottom line is that Olympia is the only decent tourist attraction. With a rental car (or tour) you can visit the nearby winery (it sucks), go to a beach area (nothing great) or visit a nearby city such as Pyrgos (not worth the effort).

Hank

We were thinking of taking the city sightseeing Piraeus/Athens sightseeing bus. It's a hop on/hop off bus. Any thoughts on this? Would you recommend it: http://www.citysightseeing.gr/

• 10 months later...

Two from Virginia,

Katakolon is a different port to Piraeus/Athens.

We took the hop on hop off from Piraeus port in 2013 and it was ok, will probably do it again when we return this October.

Katakolon we took the bus to Olympia and really enjoyed our time there. It happened to be the day prior to the anniversary celebrations, so we were able to observe the celebrations dress rehearsal. Was so special being there watching the procession, and the members all dressed in ancient roman clothing. Was an added bonus that it was free entry that day too.

No hop on hop off bus in Katakolon, the port is very small. As Hank has said, nothing much there.

We visited the Temple of Apollo Epikourios the last time we were in Katakolon. The temple itself is probably only a 30-45 minute tour but the site is up in the mountains and you pass through a number of beautiful local villages that overlook stunning valleys. We were rushing over to Olympia after our visit so we didn't stop in the area but I could see spending the day exploring the surrounding area such as Andritsaina.

We visited the Temple of Apollo Epikourios the last time we were in Katakolon. The temple itself is probably only a 30-45 minute tour but the site is up in the mountains and you pass through a number of beautiful local villages that overlook stunning valleys. We were rushing over to Olympia after our visit so we didn't stop in the area but I could see spending the day exploring the surrounding area such as Andritsaina.

Would you recommend this? I've considered visiting the temple but was a bit put off by the protective covering I've seen in photos -- seems like it would be hard to get an idea of the grandeur of the place. (Not really interested in local villages, my only reason for going would be the temple...)

I didn't really mind the tent. If you are interested in the scenic shots of the Temple and the surrounding mountains then it's definitely a bummer... But from my memory the whole temple is under the tent so I didn't really notice it while looking at the restoration. If scaffolding and other restoration efforts impact your enjoyment then be aware that there is a lot of that around and you can't wander into the temple. We were limited to three sides of the temple as the restorers were working on the back. Personally I thought it was worth going to the temple since it's in magnificent shape considering it's construction material. However, we hooked this on to an Olympia tour. If the temple was the only thing on your itinerary and you aren't that interested in the countryside then it might not be worth the 3 hour round trip from Katakolon.