VOOM "Surf" or "Surf and Stream" question

Can someone who has experience with the new Internet VOOM tell me if I can do FaceTime, Skype video "calls", Facebook chat message with Surf package or do I need the Surf and Stream? (DH and I have a long cruise in October - Explorer (24 nights) Seattle to Sydney. On shorter cruises we each take advantage of D+ 2 free consecutive 24 hours - and find Internet in ports - on this trip on Explorer there are not as many ports as there are sea days. The better price deal is the 30% off either VOOM before boarding. We will only do 1 device and share with each other. We don't really care about streaming movies and TV shows. But does the Surf package do what I need?

First, realize that as of now, Explorer does not have the O3B internet. So, while SURF would be enough on a ship like Anthem, some of those apps may not function well even with STREAM on Explorer. While all will likely "work" on SURF, it will be so choppy as to make it useless - upgrading to STREAM may not fix that. If you have an app that strictly streams (like YouTube or Netflix) that will improve with STREAM (tho it will work on SURF as well, just slower) any app that is interactive, will be very iffy due to the high ping rates with old school internet.

There was a thread on the eastbound TP this spring on Explorer on which some commented on WiFi performance - it was not good.

If you wish to do any form of audio or video streaming (such as skype/facetime etc..) then you need the surf & stream package. The surf only as it suggests allows none real-time applications like browsing web pages, accessing your emails, posting FB or twitter pictures etc..

Question for those of you who understand this stuff - not like me. For several cruises this year I have been able to watch a few Directv shows on my iPad while on Grandeur. Reception was sometimes spotty but it was better than RC tv programming. On my last trip I purchased surf and stream thinking I would have better connection but there was absolutely no difference. So now my question. In the future should I bother with the more expensive package? Or should I just purchase surf? The way I connected to Directv was my nephew put a Directv app on my tablet and I was able to access using my account number. Thanks for any info. Katherine

First, realize that as of now, Explorer does not have the O3B internet. So, while SURF would be enough on a ship like Anthem, some of those apps may not function well even with STREAM on Explorer. While all will likely "work" on SURF, it will be so choppy as to make it useless - upgrading to STREAM may not fix that. If you have an app that strictly streams (like YouTube or Netflix) that will improve with STREAM (tho it will work on SURF as well, just slower) any app that is interactive, will be very iffy due to the high ping rates with old school internet.

There was a thread on the eastbound TP this spring on Explorer on which some commented on WiFi performance - it was not good.

Biker19 - I read the comments of the posters on eastbound TP on Explorer thread - with one CC member actually going to hotels overnight in ports so she could have internet access for her thesis.) I thought VOOM was being installed once the ship reached US. On my reservation for the westbound it shows VOOM is available. (Didn't show as available on the spring crossing.) I think I will post in a few Explorer roll calls to (ship is doing Alaska runs) to see how Internet is working.

Question for those of you who understand this stuff - not like me. For several cruises this year I have been able to watch a few Directv shows on my iPad while on Grandeur. Reception was sometimes spotty but it was better than RC tv programming. On my last trip I purchased surf and stream thinking I would have better connection but there was absolutely no difference. So now my question. In the future should I bother with the more expensive package? Or should I just purchase surf? The way I connected to Directv was my nephew put a Directv app on my tablet and I was able to access using my account number. Thanks for any info. Katherine

If you just purchase surf you won't be able to stream any realtime TV, you'd have to download to the app first.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Biker19 - I read the comments of the posters on eastbound TP on Explorer thread - with one CC member actually going to hotels overnight in ports so she could have internet access for her thesis.) I thought VOOM was being installed once the ship reached US. On my reservation for the westbound it shows VOOM is available. (Didn't show as available on the spring crossing.) I think I will post in a few Explorer roll calls to (ship is doing Alaska runs) to see how Internet is working.

VOOM is just RCI marketing speak for internet - it has no direct relation to the performance on a given ship - every ship has VOOM (as far as RCI is concerned as of May 1), but every ship does not have O3B VOOM which is what you need for good performance. Unless they are installing O3B during the turn around days in Seattle (like they did with Freedom) your VOOM experience will suffer.

If you just purchase surf you won't be able to stream any realtime TV, you'd have to download to the app first.

While the name implies you have to have STREAM to actually stream anything, you can stream a number of things (like YouTube) even with the SURF package even on non O3B ships. The .5MB limit on non-O3B ships and about 4MB limit on O3B ships is enough. What you won't have is smooth video - it might be pixilated, slow and sluggish but it will likely work. To get better video, yes, for that you would need STREAM.

DD is on the harmony now with the Surf package. She can text on whatsapp, and use FB BUT She cannot make calls over wifi which is why I bought the darn package in the first place. :mad:

Did she try WiFI calling on land before and had it working? Has it ever worked? Are you sure it is an issue with the ship's WiFi? We've had many reports of WiFi calling working so it could be an issue with the phone, her carrier, the app, or any number of other things.

My friends and I were on the Ovation, on a France and Belgium cruise, and were were able to FaceTime with the surf package. You could try it out, and then upgrade if it doesn't work for you.

Ovation has the new O3B internet while many of the other ships in the fleet do not. So what may work on Ovation may not work on a ship without O3B internet.

Just got off the Allure today and had the Surf package - was totally unable to watch periscopes, FB live videos, You Tube or anything of the sort. The stream would stop about every five seconds.

Unlikely that upgrading to STREAM would have fixed that. The down speed is already about 4 MB (which is enough to stream an HD video) with SURF on a ship like Allure so speed was not likely the issue.

Unlikely that upgrading to STREAM would have fixed that. The down speed is already about 4 MB (which is enough to stream an HD video) with SURF on a ship like Allure so speed was not likely the issue.

In November 2015 I was on the Allure. FLL, Bahamas, St. Thomas. St. Martin. Stateroom 12240. I had problems using the internet - in my stateroom. Others in the area of my stateroom also had problems - as I would see people sitting outside their doors on the floor. I had several tech people trying to fix my problem/ they even went into the ceiling of my stateroom and out in the hall. I had no issues anywhere else on the ship. They took off the internet cost plus I received a future cruise certificate offered by the Hotel Director on board.

I sure hope internet will be working well on my 24 night Explorer. And Biker19 - you are correct. Everyone at C&A believes Zoom has been installed on all ships as of May 1 - because that is what is being promoted and marketed and is in their "fact sheets." As Aretha sang - "Who's zoomin' who..."

Just got off the Allure today and had the Surf package - was totally unable to watch periscopes, FB live videos, You Tube or anything of the sort. The stream would stop about every five seconds.

Well on Harmony last week I had stream and was watching tv episodes on YouTube without any buffering in my stateroom..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be on Oasis in September, if I get the surf and stream package does anyone know if you can connect your iPad with cables to the TV and stream Netflix on the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll be on Oasis in September, if I get the surf and stream package does anyone know if you can connect your iPad with cables to the TV and stream Netflix on the TV?

Possibly. You should have no problem streaming Netflix. However, getting the TV to select an alternative input has been problematic for some. Try bringing a universal remote, just in case the supplied remote does not allow switching inputs.

Possibly. You should have no problem streaming Netflix. However, getting the TV to select an alternative input has been problematic for some. Try bringing a universal remote, just in case the supplied remote does not allow switching inputs.

Thanks Bob!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did she try WiFI calling on land before and had it working? Has it ever worked? Are you sure it is an issue with the ship's WiFi? We've had many reports of WiFi calling working so it could be an issue with the phone, her carrier, the app, or any number of other things.

Worked fine on land while she was in barcelona. It's all good now anyway. she was able to call us with the whatsapp app from the ship. :)

Just got off the Majesty and was able to face time with no problem. Gave my daughter a tour of our crappy stateroom. VOOM was one of the few good points of this cruise. Ours,was free although they will be charging on the Majesty soon.