Let's Talk Bears In the Woods in September

Naomigruis

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are traveling to the USA and Canada this September. I have added a Alaskan Cruise with NCL on the Sun from Vancouver to Anchorage leaving on the 5th of September then doing the Dome train to Fairbanks then flying back to Seattle for 3 weeks.

I know this is late in the Alaskan Cruise Season but was the only time we could do it. It really will be a once in a lifetime cruise as i cant see us getting another change to cruise Alaska again.

Now for the Bear Question, i really want to do the float plan tour out of Ketchikan, the cost is $399 US which works out to be $550 in Aussie dollars, now this is nearly the cost of the whole cruise for one of us (we got a great deal) and the most i have ever spent on a 3 hour tour. But being so late in the year will the bears be there? if they are not do we get some sort of refund? would you pay that amount of money if the change is more likely they are not going to be there?

Added not to this my two sister-in-laws are doing the same cruise with Holland America about 10 days later and are wanting to do a bear sightseeing tour as well so same questions for mid September.

So will there be Bears In the Woods?

Where is this bear tour going???? Absolutely NEVER book any tour that does not specifically mention a location. How are you booking this?

Are you going to Denali Park?? NO way, would I just take the Alaska RR Anc to Fairbanks without stopping there. That is your BEST opportunity for seeing brown bears. You can just make getting to Wonder Lake on Sept 15. I'd strongly suggest you arrange your touring in preference of this.

No, you do NOT get any refunds if you don't see bears with any tours. Forget about going mid Sept with fly in Ketchikan bear tours, you are out of season. I'd suggest going to Haines.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thanks for the info.

Alas we aren't stopping in Danli National park just doing the train stright through due to time restraints but my sisters in laws are so will pass on the advice to them.

The tour we are looking at is booked through NCL, two leave out of Ketchikan and one our of Juneau. Would one have more chance than to other? Or is it time to give up and book a Different amazing tour.

Thanks in advance for the help.

There are reasons why the end of season cruises are less expensive. Less daylight, businesses start closing down after Labor Day, and some activities aren't available. Perfect example ... your sisters need to check the Denali web site to see if the buses are still operating on their travel date. Bus trips end around Sept 20.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

There are several popular locations for bear viewing. They each have different time frames for peak viewing times. Usually those times are tied to a salmon run. The Alaska Fish and Game web site is a good resource for that info

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearviewing.main

The Ketchikan web site is another resource.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

If bears are a priority, stop in Denali for a bus ride thru the park, or skip the train altogether and rent a car so you can visit fish hatcheries in Seward, Anchorage, or other popular areas where bears are seen.

Another option ... salmon runs are much later in WA and BC, so Sept into Oct is peak. Do some research to find popular viewing spots.

Does your viewing need to be a grizzly fishing ? do you care if it's black or a grizzly?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the time and effort in helping me with this question.

In the end i have chosen not to do the floatplane tour and instead are doing a Misty fjord flight instead.

It cost the same for two of us instead of one and we know what we are going to get.

sylva