Mendenhall question, Harv and Marv drop off/pick up

PixiTrix

I have a whale watching trip booked with Harv and Marv and added the Mendenhall visit.

I received an email to clarify that the Mendenhall part is a 1 hour DIY tour - so no tour guide/drop off type situation. The email is just confirming the request and wanting to make sure that we wanted to keep that part or instead switch to the bridge visit.

Having never been, I have no idea what to expect. I understand there is a visitor's center on Mendenhall?

What "bridge" visit??? Do YOU want to go to Mendenhall? Is the Mendenhall drop after or before the whale watch? What did you want to see and do there? Yes there is a visitor center there, is that is all you are planing on doing? Interested in any hiking? In my opinion- at least Photo Point trail needs to be taken, highlight is Nugget Falls Trail.

Any other touring interests in Juneau? You need to determine how and where you wish to spend your short port time. :)

We just have the whale watching planned in Juneau. The other thing I wanted to do is at the same time, so can't do both (glass blowing). So, haven't thought about other options afterward.

Brotherhood Bridge. Both would be after the whale watching. I think the email might have been sent out because of a change in plan, but not certain. Originally I thought it was a shorter trip to Mendenhall, so that is why they were confirming that we still wanted to include it. I booked that so long ago now, I couldn't remember.

Okay, to clarify, I reread the email.

The email was sent out to clarify because someone else was confused about the Mendenhall addition to the whale watching trip. There are two options - 1) stop at Brotherhood Bridge to get a VIEW of the glacier, or 2) get out and go to the visitor center, walk around for an hour.

I think when I originally booked, I did not know we could get out. I think my understanding was that we made a trip over to view it from the boat. So, this was news to me when I got the email. Probably should check on the extra cost, if there is one.

there is glass blowing in Juneau? Only glass blowing I know about is in Skagway.

As for the Brotherhood Bridge- I'm shaking my head that, that is mentioned as a stop option? Hardly worth a stop with a rental car, and a 10 minute stop at that. You would be driving right by it anyway with any whale tour shuttle. Hardly a highlight and absolutely no way in any comparison to just going to the nearby Mendenhall Glacier visitor center area. IF you wish to spend your time there?? Depends on you?? If you want time to have nice views and information about glaciers, clearly worth the time. IF not, there is plenty else to see and do in Juneau.

Yes, my mistake. Head is whirling with so many different types of activities. :eek: Glass blowing is in Skagway, and it is the train that interferes with that one, so had to bypass. However, I did find that there are local glass blowers where I live - but I will probably never sign up to do it here.

I don't think they were highlighting the Brotherhood Bridge, just telling the route and differentiating from the Mendenhall visit itself.

We definitely don't want to just drive by, so will be getting out.

Edited by PixiTrix

We had a wonderful trip with Marv and Harv last September. We've booked with them again this August. After the whale watching (and we saw a LOT of whales) they stopped at the Mendenhall Glacier and allowed us to wander about the visitor center area for a while. I'd say we were there for about a half hour. Time to see the glacier and explore a bit. But, not enough time if you wanted to hike back to the waterfall (which looked pretty spectacular). If you wanted to do that, you just departed the trip there and found your own way back later.

Not 100% sure on all this, but I believe that Harv & Marv has changed the short stop at Mendenhall that used to be included in all tours because of the way the park service is now charging for admission to certain areas. The new stop is a quick one at the bridge for a photo op.

T

We definitely don't want to just drive by, so will be getting out.

It is a lackluster very distant partial view. As I mentioned, maybe 10 minute stop. :) Being at the visitor center is way superior for views.

We got the same email from H&M for our booking in a couple of weeks. It does sound like there's some change on their side that is causing them to reconfirm intent with everyone. In my mind, at time of booking last year, there was no question that we were signing up for a post-boat trip over to the visitor center for about an hour. The option of a shorter stop at the bridge wasn't ever part of the conversation.

I thought that the wording of the email (i.e. that there "was some confusion on the Glacier stop") was a bit disingenuous. No confusion on our side. :) At the end of the day it is not a problem that they offered us an additional option - when I said we wanted the full visit they were quick to confirm that this was no problem.

We did Harv & Marv last year too it was awesome we are going again next year . But this time I am walking back to the falls and spending more time there you can get a bus back from Mendenhall glacier.

As for the Brotherhood Bridge- I'm shaking my head that, that is mentioned as a stop option? Hardly worth a stop with a rental car, and a 10 minute stop at that. .

Budget Queen - I think that you may be overestimating the time that you should spend at the Bridge. I have not been there or maybe I have been and did not know it as we spend several days in Juneau with a car and drove over it but I would give it maybe 22 seconds max.

DON

Budget Queen - I think that you may be overestimating the time that you should spend at the Bridge. I have not been there or maybe I have been and did not know it as we spend several days in Juneau with a car and drove over it but I would give it maybe 22 seconds max.

DON

Hello Don. :) Well, I was adding in- the car pull in, parking, getting out of the car, dropping something underneath the car that I have to fetch out, walking to the bridge, watching a raft come in, walking back to the car, getting back in the car, waiting to merge with traffic. :) :)

I did a Harv & Marv whale watch on June 2, and although we did a photo stop at Brotherhood Bridge, they told us they could not take us all the way to the glacier for those who wanted to go there. The options were to take a cab from Auke Bay or take Harv & Marv's transportation back to the cruise ship pier and get one of the other shuttles available to Mendenhall.

We did Harv & Marv May 25, 2016 and experienced the confusion you're referring to. When we booked, the Mendenhall stop was to be for ~15 minutes, just a quick photo op. When we actually got checked in, they mentioned I had the one hour stop at Mendenhall and did I want it. I was confused but we went with the one hour stop. It's the perfect amount of time to go through the visitor center and hike out to Nugget Falls. I'm so glad we ended up there.

<a href=http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49/abcgreys/2016%20Alaska/IMG_0066.jpg' alt='IMG_0066.jpg'>

We did Harv & Marv May 25, 2016 and experienced the confusion you're referring to. When we booked, the Mendenhall stop was to be for ~15 minutes, just a quick photo op. When we actually got checked in, they mentioned I had the one hour stop at Mendenhall and did I want it. I was confused but we went with the one hour stop. It's the perfect amount of time to go through the visitor center and hike out to Nugget Falls. I'm so glad we ended up there.

This is how it was for us last summer. This year we're going with our daughter and son-in-law and hope it will still be the same.

Edited by BigGuy25

This is how it was for us last summer. This year we're going with our daughter and son-in-law and hope it will still be the same.

If they don't give you enough time, call for a taxi (about $35). Don't cut your Mendenhall visit short.