Volendam to Alaska Inside Passage in August - newbie q's

eloisegirl

Hello, first time post - going to Alaska on HAL Volendam in late August to do the Inside Passage.

Will there be any part of the trip where land is not visible? Travel companion would feel better being able to see land.

I checked Weather.com for weather but they said Alaska temps can range from an average 50-65 F, thirty degrees either way. Can anyone tell me of their temperature experiences in mid- to late August? I have a Colombia vest and raincoat, will bring a scarf and hat and gloves as well for walking on ship outside.

Is the Le Cirque restaurant a truly awesome experience?

More questions to come as our posse of 3 travelers come up with other concerns.

I must say, the thread for 1st time cruisers is Fantastic and I have made lots of notes! Thanks for sharing all your knowledge! Bringing an extension cord, power bar and battery-operated tealight, as recommended. :)

From the top of Vancouver Island to the Queen Charlottes it is open ocean. Not for long but you won't see land for a while.

August is usually very nice weather, the summer month. You can get rain at any time for any length of time. You should pack capris and t-shirts, plus regular wear and your winter clothes as you outline, which you may not need at all. We've seen 85 degrees and 50 degrees on the same cruise. Clothing also depends on which shorex you plan.

Food is such a personal thing. Some pax love Le Cirque, some don't. 49 pp is lot for what you get. In my opinion the Pinnacle for dinner (29 pp) or lunch (10 pp) are both much better value.

I think yours is an inside passage cruise R/T Vancouver. This travels between Vancouver Island and the main land. We did this cruise a few years ago and as I recall land was visible throughout the cruise. Weather in Alaska is never predictable. The best advice is to layer your clothing. JMHO, and I'm sure others will disagree, but we prefer the Pinnacle Grille to Le Cirque. Alaska is fantastic. You're going to have a wonderful trip.

From the top of Vancouver Island to the Queen Charlottes it is open ocean. Not for long but you won't see land for a while.

SilvertoGold has given you the correct information. There is a part of the cruise where you cannot see land.

As for weather, expect pretty much anything :) so go prepared. Take layers. I see you mention having a vest. You might want to add something that has sleeves as a layer for under your jacket. I take a fleecy or two, light weight, and they don't take loads of suitcase room. Sometimes I take along a cashmere sweater, lightweight, doesn't take up much room, can be used as a layer or to wear in the evening as a top.

I'm just back from the cruise you are going on. Others have noted there is a period when the ship is in open ocean, but for the vast majority of the time you can see land - and it is beautiful! You'very described packing a rain layer and a warm layer. In addition to your regular clothes, that should be fine. The Volendam is a great ship, manageable size and fresh flowers everywhere. Bonnie voyage!

Vicki

Besides the section already mentioned of the top of Vancouver Island until Port Alexander to head for Juneau, you will be in open water from Cross Sound (after leaving Glacier Bay) going past Sitka Sound until Dixon Entrance for Ketchikan. It takes approximately 24 hours to traverse that section. If you are on the port side of the ship, land should be visible for a portion of that. Of course, the course taken by a ship is dependent on sea conditions and other ship traffic.

We were on the Niew Amsterdam two weeks ago and the seas grew from two meters to four meters during the night after Ketchikan but lessened during the day. It settled to being calm after re-entering the Inner Passage. That was also the same day that the Infinity damaged Pier 3 in Ketchikan due to high winds gusting to 45 mph.

Not interested in cigarettes, and I would only buy truly unusual alcohol that I can't get at home. Not much of a drinker, which is good, as it should save me some money! LOL

I'm thinking more about the perfumes on board - do they have a large selection or is it just a basic selection; I know there are travel exclusives for sale at the airport but I'm flying YYZ to YVR so no DF for me. :( Would they have perfume exclusives? And do they sell Swarovski? If anyone has pics of the DF onboard store, would love to see pics of the layout and products. :) Eloisegirl

• 1 month later...

Only a few days now, and almost all packed. Is it true that you can ask for Gravol? I have bought the 10 pack of meltaway Gravol (and Imodium, always be prepared!) but wonder if there will be extra if I run out - the regular tabs, doesn't have to be meltaway.

I have packed a surge protector power bar and extension cord for my CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with that?

I'm also taking a steel travel mug along as well as powdered ice tea mix. I don't drink soda or alcohol usually.

I have packed a surge protector power bar and extension cord for my CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with that?

You should not use the surge protector, as that can be problematic. Swap it out for a cord without one, or add another extension cord, just in case more length is needed.

Took out the surge protector, just using the extension cord (a neon green one so I can see it and not forget to take it home!) and it has 3 plug holes.

I'm taking a Gladware tub for extra servings of Bread Pudding before bed! LOL

Took out the surge protector, just using the extension cord (a neon green one so I can see it and not forget to take it home!) and it has 3 plug holes.

I'm taking a Gladware tub for extra servings of Bread Pudding before bed! LOL

Good ideas. Both of 'em. ;)

The Gladware doesn't even take up any space if you pack something in it before you put it in the suitcase. Might also help it from being crushed as the suitcase gets tossed around.

Can anyone tell me about the sales they have at the end of the trip? My friend was just on a HA Alaska ship (different one than Volendam) and said they had 75 per cent off on the last day. I like the sound of that! :)

B.

I checked Weather.com for weather but they said Alaska temps can range from an average 50-65 F, thirty degrees either way. Can anyone tell me of their temperature experiences in mid- to late August? I have a Colombia vest and raincoat, will bring a scarf and hat and gloves as well for walking on ship outside.

if you are going to glacier bay it will be a lot colder than the ports. You will need a thick fleece/ jacket, hat and gloves in GB as you will want to stand on deck to get max effect.