TA or MSC

mafig

TA are assigned commission on the rate offered by MSC. Thus TA are able to discount some of their commission and also offer extra OBC. My TA replies within an hour to any email which is a huge advantage considering its MSC that we have to deal with

I believe the every little helps so I do accept what they offer. The TA has decided to offer it as a means of attracting your attention so why not take it. They seem happy to offer it in the first instance.

I suppose we also have to consider other things, I am not lucky enough to live within driving distance from the cruise port and therefore cannot avail of last minutes much more readily than most. I would love to avail of last minute cruise offers but unfortunately last minute air fares no longer make the complete package a bargain.

In short if I had the same opportunity to avail of cheap cruises that those that live near the port have I might be more than willing to leave the OBC enticement with them too. I have no guilty conscience accepting OBC as I don't get last minute fares, therefore pay higher fares and thus my TA gets higher commission. In fact my TA may be better off selling a cruise at a 'regular' fare and forfeiting USD25 OBC than pocketing 100% of the commission from a last minute fare.

I live well within driving distance of Northern Europe's premier cruise port and took two of last years six cruises from Southampton.

They were both special cruises and I'd have been very surprised if discounting in any form took place - P&O's Britannia Maiden Cruise and Queen Mary 2 for her 175th Anniversary cruise.

Sure there are discounted cruises sailing from Southampton but they are usually what I heard described recently as 'milk run' cruises.

As Travel Agent's commission is based on a percentage it's interesting to note that when some offer good looking rates starting at £xxx they all of a sudden don't have the availability and the punter is enticed to go for a more expensive deal.

It happens all the time. These folk are in business after all.

I sent an email to my "second choice" TA and received a reply of

"due to prior unsatisfactory customer service we no longer book with MSC.":eek:

WOW!

Anyway, I went on the comparison website and have been so pleased with the prices I've received. Hundreds off the published price. Just trying to decide who to go with (OBC vs. low price). No cancellation fees from the agencies either.:)

Not with MSC but a similar thing happened to me some time ago.

I fell out with a travel agent some time ago and found by shopping around I have now saved thousands.

How does the old saying go?

"let your fingers do the walking'

I live well within driving distance of Northern Europe's premier cruise port and took two of last years six cruises from Southampton.

Why would you take your cruises from Southampton if you live within driving distance of Northern Europe's premier cruise port? :p

It also depends on your definition of 'premier'. Might be No 1 in terms of cruise passengers but certainly not great in terms of accessibility and direct air links nor does it offer much as a tourist destination in itself. Most transiting passengers head to London or to Bath / Stonehenge. I have not passed through it yet, but what I gather Southampton is not noted for its swift embarkation processes either. On the other hand Hamburg is a destination in itself along with being close to the Baltic beaches and other historical cities such as Lubeck or Bremen to mention just two. The cruise terminal is extremely accessible with a subway station right by the terminal. Handing in the terminal in my experience is extremely efficient with short boarding times. Warnemunde and Kiel provided similar experiences. Could it be German efficiency or British inefficiency or a bit of both? Hamburg has air links to most major European airports with full service or low cost carriers.

Hamburg wins every time.