Purchasing Carnival's Insurance

Racegirl6

If we choose to purchase insurance, is there a time limit as to how long we have to get it if we want. We have only paid the deposit so far and sail on September 12.

You can generally get trip insurance right up to the day you leave. My recommendation is to purchase it when you start making large non-refundable payments, such as airfare or final cruise payment. Some policies require purchase right after initial deposit for coverage of pre-existing medical conditions, financial default of tour operators, etc.

You can generally get trip insurance right up to the day you leave. My recommendation is to purchase it when you start making large non-refundable payments, such as airfare or final cruise payment. Some policies require purchase right after initial deposit for coverage of pre-existing medical conditions, financial default of tour operators, etc.

And for cancel for any reason. We purchase insurance the day we book the cruise. We never go through the cruiseline. You can get a better deal else where. We use Travel Guard the Gold Plan. DH and I are over 60 so we want the additional insurance JIC we have to be airlifted somewhere. Don't ever cruise without insurance no matter how old you are. We've heard horror stories from the young and the old.

Edited by elliair

And for cancel for any reason. We purchase insurance the day we book the cruise. We never go through the cruiseline. You can get a better deal else where. We use Travel Guard the Gold Plan. DH and I are over 60 so we want the additional insurance JIC we have to be airlifted somewhere. Don't ever cruise without insurance no matter how old you are. We've heard horror stories from the young and the old.

I'll second that. On one cruise, I spent 20 hours in the ship's medical center, final bill $18,000....covered by travel insurance.

I think it's before final payment but you should check other insurances. They have much better coverage and can be less expensive. I like Nationwide Cruise Choice.

We use USAA for our travel insurance. Much better than what you can get from Carnival

We use USAA for our travel insurance. Much better than what you can get from Carnival

We also use USAA which is Travel Insured International.

I have USAA as well, but when I compare coverages, I have found the Nationwide plans better not only in price but also the fact that I don't need to purchase within 30 days of initial trip payment to have preexisting conditions covered (I don't have any, but you never know), and also the cancel for work reasons at no charge.

But whichever way you go, it's much better than going without! I hope none of us ever need to use it.

I have USAA as well, but when I compare coverages, I have found the Nationwide plans better not only in price but also the fact that I don't need to purchase within 30 days of initial trip payment to have preexisting conditions covered (I don't have any, but you never know), and also the cancel for work reasons at no charge.

But whichever way you go, it's much better than going without! I hope none of us ever need to use it.

Agree! We went several cruises without it. The 1st time we bought it, we only did as my dad was having health problems, and were afraid we would have to cancel. Now, never cruise without it. That cruise my husband had a slip and fall by the water slide. Over $40K surgery. 3 months off work.:eek: But, just as a heads up to any that don't know, the ship doctor (at least in our case) is NOT a Carnival employee, they are contract labor. So, Carnival is not responsible if he gives a wrong diagnosis. Such, as saying, bad bruise, versus, torn rotator cuff, bicep torn off bone, (sorry bad spelling), thank goodness we insisted on a copy of the xrays. Just saying.....

Agree! We went several cruises without it. The 1st time we bought it, we only did as my dad was having health problems, and were afraid we would have to cancel. Now, never cruise without it. That cruise my husband had a slip and fall by the water slide. Over $40K surgery. 3 months off work.:eek: But, just as a heads up to any that don't know, the ship doctor (at least in our case) is NOT a Carnival employee, they are contract labor. So, Carnival is not responsible if he gives a wrong diagnosis. Such, as saying, bad bruise, versus, torn rotator cuff, bicep torn off bone, (sorry bad spelling), thank goodness we insisted on a copy of the xrays. Just saying.....

Holy cow! Glad you had insurance. Who would have thought he would fall by the slide? Stuff really happens when you least expect it. Hope he's completely healed now.

Holy cow! Glad you had insurance. Who would have thought he would fall by the slide? Stuff really happens when you least expect it. Hope he's completely healed now.

We've personally seen several instances of people falling on a cruise ship and just recently. An older gentleman missed the last step in the Atrium and headed head first into the metal railing. It knocked him out! Saw a man take a fall in front of the International Cafe on a Princess ship. He broke his hip. Also people have passed away and they were young too--in their 50's. Know what it costs to ship a body home? None of us are immune from Ship Happens.

As other have said other insurance options are cheaper and better.

That said, I hear a lot of people think the offered insurance is somehow better better because "Its Carnival's Insurance". Well the truth is, it isn't. The Insurance company is actually AON and the policy itself in underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company.

So weather you choose "Carnival's Insurance" or not. You will still have to file a claim with someone who isn't carnival.

I think it's before final payment but you should check other insurances. They have much better coverage and can be less expensive. I like Nationwide Cruise Choice.

We went with Nationwide Cruise Ins as well........thought the added cruise only benefits that other travel ins cos dont include were good and the price seemed very reasonable for the $100,000 medical and $500,000 evac plan . Hope we never need it now but better safe than sorry

We've personally seen several instances of people falling on a cruise ship and just recently. An older gentleman missed the last step in the Atrium and headed head first into the metal railing. It knocked him out! Saw a man take a fall in front of the International Cafe on a Princess ship. He broke his hip. Also people have passed away and they were young too--in their 50's. Know what it costs to ship a body home? None of us are immune from Ship Happens.

Wow! Thankfully I haven't seen anything like that and I hope I never do. Same goes with hoping I'm not the one that has an unfortunate incident. It's just smart to protect yourself.

Often for the price of FTTF (sometimes less, sometimes more) you can make sure you're not out of your trip costs if something happens and you can't go. But more importantly you won't be saddled with huge medical bills if there's an emergency. Everyone thinks it will never happen to them, but eventually something does happen to somebody. I don't want to be unprepared.

We went with Nationwide Cruise Ins as well........thought the added cruise only benefits that other travel ins cos dont include were good and the price seemed very reasonable for the $100,000 medical and $500,000 evac plan . Hope we never need it now but better safe than sorry

I agree with you 100%. I did a LOT of research comparing plans and weighing the options and that's the best that I could find out of them all.

Thanks! It was 2011. He went early, 1st full day of cruise, had suit on, carrying towel, checked out the stairs, etc... kinda just looked around. Then went to put towel and crocs on a table close by, said the floor underneath him was slick, not a water feeling slick, more like oily, BOOM! He was very overweight at the time and believe it or not, this whole experience probably ended up saving his life. The ship Dr. never advised a follow up with his own Dr., but it was obvious this was not just a bruise. When he went in for pre-op, they saw his sugar was so high, he had to go to the emergency room for that, as they would not do the surgery, as it was stroke level. After they brought it down and he had the surgery, (by the way he had never been diagnosed as having diabetes, and he has regular visits with his Dr.), I researched menus and I cooked and measured his food and he stayed on that diet until he actually was able to not have to take insulin shots. We learned diabetes, at least in his case can be manageable without insulin by diet and exercise. And he was almost 60 at that time. Sorry, off subject, but you and I have interacted on other threads and you seem to care about other people so thought you might want to know how it turned out.:) People we know can't believe we still cruise Carnival as the insurance part was very sketchy. Oh well ship happens!

But, as a heads up to others, we always take new shoes, with good tread on cruises. I, myself, have noticed some areas, especially walking through the Lido aisle through the buffet areas towards the back of the ship, seem to feel like the floors have just been waxed. Floors should be rougher, not so slick. Everyone one have a great cruise and DO buy insurance!:)

As other have said other insurance options are cheaper and better.

That said, I hear a lot of people think the offered insurance is somehow better better because "Its Carnival's Insurance". Well the truth is, it isn't. The Insurance company is actually AON and the policy itself in underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company.

So weather you choose "Carnival's Insurance" or not. You will still have to file a claim with someone who isn't carnival.

You are certainly correct about that! After all we went through, AON is imprinted in my brain for life!:(

You are certainly correct about that! After all we went through, AON is imprinted in my brain for life!:(

I've never had a chance to ask this of someone who had a major medical incident. If you don't mind me asking, do you think there was any benefit to having "Carnival's insurance" with regard to the ship services or paying for those services? Do you think having another insurance been more of a problem?

I think I already know the answer, it would a great reference to point to for people who insist Carnival insurance is better because its "Carnival".

Thanks! It was 2011. He went early, 1st full day of cruise, had suit on, carrying towel, checked out the stairs, etc... kinda just looked around. Then went to put towel and crocs on a table close by, said the floor underneath him was slick, not a water feeling slick, more like oily, BOOM! He was very overweight at the time and believe it or not, this whole experience probably ended up saving his life. The ship Dr. never advised a follow up with his own Dr., but it was obvious this was not just a bruise. When he went in for pre-op, they saw his sugar was so high, he had to go to the emergency room for that, as they would not do the surgery, as it was stroke level. After they brought it down and he had the surgery, (by the way he had never been diagnosed as having diabetes, and he has regular visits with his Dr.), I researched menus and I cooked and measured his food and he stayed on that diet until he actually was able to not have to take insulin shots. We learned diabetes, at least in his case can be manageable without insulin by diet and exercise. And he was almost 60 at that time. Sorry, off subject, but you and I have interacted on other threads and you seem to care about other people so thought you might want to know how it turned out.:) People we know can't believe we still cruise Carnival as the insurance part was very sketchy. Oh well ship happens!

But, as a heads up to others, we always take new shoes, with good tread on cruises. I, myself, have noticed some areas, especially walking through the Lido aisle through the buffet areas towards the back of the ship, seem to feel like the floors have just been waxed. Floors should be rougher, not so slick. Everyone one have a great cruise and DO buy insurance!:)

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I do care about people. There are a few that can get under my skin and a couple topics that can really set me off but I like to think I'm a good person [emoji4].

I agree about then buffet floors. I have to be very careful when walking through there especially when wearing my wedges. They do feel like they are greasy or just been waxed like those old linoleum floors that you had to wax and buff. Makes me nervous going through there.

I guess it was a blessing in disguise and I'm glad it turned out to be a good thing. Diabetes is no joke.

I've never had a chance to ask this of someone who had a major medical incident. If you don't mind me asking, do you think there was any benefit to having "Carnival's insurance" with regard to the ship services or paying for those services? Do you think having another insurance been more of a problem?

I think I already know the answer, it would a great reference to point to for people who insist Carnival insurance is better because its "Carnival".

This probably won't make any sense, but believe it or not, and I am embarrassed about it, I still go through Carnival. Not, because it is better, but, because when I research others, my head is swimming. It is just easier to click on "purchase vacation protection" when I book. I read and reread all the others and still don't know what is better. We actually sued and got hosed. But, would it have been any different with another insurance provider? I think not. As it is out of the insurances hands when you sue the cruise line. My husbands regular insurance picked up 80% of his medical bills and the cruise insurance paid the 20%. Eventually. His work time lost (3 months) and the money we spent to go to Florida for the law suit, BIG joke. But, it was better to have had the insurance than not. And, as I said before, if any law suit comes up regarding ship Dr. diagnosis, Carnival is not responsible as they are contract labor. We were actually afraid that this would put us on a "flagged" list on our next cruise after the event, but, wasn't treated any differently than any other time. The points others have made about if you have to be airlifted back to the states have a lot of merit, as to researching, but, again I just can't seem to figure it out. And as far as it being a benefit to go with Carnival insurance, I know we had to contact them for months with nothing but runarounds until we actually filed a lawsuit.:o

Cruzelover55--I am so sorry you went through all of that. Next time, you could try tripinsurancestore.com. They are very responsive to questions, and have a handy side-by-side comparison tool to help you see what is available through each company, with the premiums listed. And again, you can call and speak to someone or email with questions. Worst case scenario, you still wind up purchasing Carnival's insurance, but they might be able to help you out in sorting out the details and you find someone new/better/cheaper. For our very first (and only!) cruise to date, I purchased insurance through a company I had researched through Tripinsurancestore, and we actually had to use the policy when my 8 year old broke his leg 3 weeks before the cruise and we had to cancel. While there was a TON of paperwork and a few calls to ask the status, we did get reimbursed and were able to rebook that cruise for later that summer.

Edited by lolavix