Port canaveral boarding question

sc4125

It's been awhile since I sailed out of Pt. Canaveral - and I wasn't Platinum the last time - so I have a general question for any who has sailed recently from this Port.

For the last couple of years I have been sailing out of Miami (about a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive for us). I normally arrive really early (10ish) mainly because I'm afraid I may have some difficulty (traffic or car trouble) on the way and I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time. This means that I check in quickly and then sit around for a couple of hours before they let Platinum board. Not a big deal, BUT

Pt. Canaveral is only about a 2 hour drive so leaving early just in case is not as important - if my car breaks down half way there, I could call a family member to come pick us up & drive us to the port if I really needed to.

I will be able to board pretty quickly after the ship is ready since I'm platinum, and I'm thinking that I would rather get there once boarding has started so that I can check in & then go directly onboard. I know that Lido can get really busy, but we usually hit the Italian Restaurat the first day and most people haven't found it yet so it's never really busy.

I know that boarding times vary - but can anyone give me an idea of about when boarding starts? And - is it crazy busy at Pt. Canaveral (like it is in Miami) to check in if we wait until 12:30 or so? We will be parking at the port also and I know if you show up at the Miami port anytime after 11 or 11:30 the parking garages are CRAZY!!

I appreciate any opinions.

Boarding should start barring any customs problems, inspections of the ship around 11:30am. Being platinum you will go through the platinum and diamond boarding area and should have no delays boarding anytime you arrive. Have not sailed out of PC for a few years but when we did the checkin was smooth and quick. This is our favorite port.

Boarding should start barring any customs problems, inspections of the ship around 11:30am. Being platinum you will go through the platinum and diamond boarding area and should have no delays boarding anytime you arrive. Have not sailed out of PC for a few years but when we did the checkin was smooth and quick. This is our favorite port.

Thank you for the response. I know I really liked the port when I sailed from there 4-5 years ago. Glad to know it doesn't seem to have changed - Miami is just crazy!! Not so much once you get inside, but getting inside can be a challenge. Even getting there early - 10:30 or so - we had to go up and down the garage before we could find a parking space.

I would throw a word of caution. It is probably fairly RARE that this happens, but just so you know. I went out of PC on a recent cruise and they had a coast guard drill that delayed the boarding. Now with boarding delayed, the inside of the terminal quickly reached capacity, no seats anywhere P&D included. There were even P&D members outside the terminal waiting to go through security in the hot sun for about an hour. My crew got there early enough, even with F2F to breeze through and be seated. Thank goodness because we sat there for almost 2 hours. I can't imagine the people who had to stand or be outside in the heat for that long.

I'm not blaming Carnival for this, just FYI. But there is more than one reason to arrive early to port.

It's been awhile since I sailed out of Pt. Canaveral - and I wasn't Platinum the last time - so I have a general question for any who has sailed recently from this Port.

For the last couple of years I have been sailing out of Miami (about a 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive for us). I normally arrive really early (10ish) mainly because I'm afraid I may have some difficulty (traffic or car trouble) on the way and I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time. This means that I check in quickly and then sit around for a couple of hours before they let Platinum board. Not a big deal, BUT

Pt. Canaveral is only about a 2 hour drive so leaving early just in case is not as important - if my car breaks down half way there, I could call a family member to come pick us up & drive us to the port if I really needed to.

I will be able to board pretty quickly after the ship is ready since I'm platinum, and I'm thinking that I would rather get there once boarding has started so that I can check in & then go directly onboard. I know that Lido can get really busy, but we usually hit the Italian Restaurat the first day and most people haven't found it yet so it's never really busy.

I know that boarding times vary - but can anyone give me an idea of about when boarding starts? And - is it crazy busy at Pt. Canaveral (like it is in Miami) to check in if we wait until 12:30 or so? We will be parking at the port also and I know if you show up at the Miami port anytime after 11 or 11:30 the parking garages are CRAZY!!

I appreciate any opinions.

While most times sailing out of PC is a delightful experience, our last cruise was not?

If you sail out of the new terminal 6 (Magic, I think) you will be delayed even getting to drop you luggage, as the entrance to the area is JOKINGLY too small. Traffic exiting, entering to 2-3 other terminals etc. :confused: Even the traffic cop is overwhelmed!

It takes at least 30-40 minutes to approach the luggage drop off area! So if you arrive at10:30am, you won't even be through that process until around 11- 11:15. After drop off/parking, it is only a short walk to check in!! :)

If you are as lucky as we were, the boarding process started at 11:00am, not the normal time on most ships!! A good thing, it made up for the wait in traffic!:)

SO, the tip here is to expect delays, but thank everyone, if they start boarding early!!:D We did!:)

Edited by jwjax

We live in Lakeland as well and find Port Canaveral very convenient, but it seems we do the majority of our sailing out of Miami (better itinerary I guess as we generally sail during Thanksgiving). But we've gone out of PC a few times, as well as Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale, but we're sailing on the Sunshine out of PC again this year. It's nice being home by (or before) 10:00 AM on the morning you dock.

As I remember it we had no issues on previous occasions - but I'm also interested in hearing recent experiences.

Leon

I just checked their site and all it lists is the ones that already have it. Nothing is mentioned about adding any new ports.

"Staggered Check-In has been rolled out to all vessels sailing from Galveston, Honolulu, Miami, New Orleans and Norfolk."

We are sailing Saturday, June 25, on the Valor. My boarding pass states "check in" time 12:30 pm. It says not to arrive to the port until the time listed. It is later than I wanted but hopeful all goes smooth!

The last time I sailed out of PC was 4-5 years from this last time in May. So, I'm not a frequent PC cruiser. I do have to say that we used an Uber to get to the terminal and the people directing traffic, were complete A-holes! I'm always like to give the benefit of the doubt. It is hot out there and lots of traffic and people coming through and I'm sure its stressful and a PITA of a job. However, two in a row treated our driver and us like idiots. The first one got mad because our driver was following the signs to the terminal and almost didn't stop to talk to him even though he was far from the road and gave us no indication we needed to stop until he yelled. We then went to where he directed us and stopped because there was another man dressed the same as the first, so.........we decided we should stop and talk to him first before pulling through as to the advice of the first guy. When we did we got a "are you stupid look" and when we asked where to drop off, he pointed and in a very sarcastic tone, "Where it says drop off."

Not sure you'll have this problem though, because when we got back there were police doing those jobs. Come to find out from our hotel taxi driver that someone had got hit the next day crossing at the crosswalk. He said since that happened they will demand new protocols for the port now.