Have you sailed solo on Princess?

elycelynne

If so, and if you've had traditional dining, what has been your experience on how well Princess does assigning your tablemates? I don't necessarily need to have only singles or solos at my table, but having requested a table for six I would hate to think that they might do something like sticking me with a family of five.

I assume that I could request a change from the dining room manager if that happened, but I'm hoping that they wouldn't do that to me in the first place.

I'm a male solo traveler, and always request Traditional Dining, Late Seating at a large table.

Yes, one time I was last to be shown to a full table. And as everyone introduced themselves around the table: mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather, son and daughter, I asked if they preferred their own table. "No" means no; and I didn't notice anyone nodding "yes" as they said "no". It was a short 4 day Caribbean Cruise, and I indicated the night prior when I would be dining in each specialty restaurant. We did have nice conversations the two nights I was there.

Worst was a table for 5. I was the second to arrive, and the first couple announced that they much preferred to have dinner with "French-speaking Canadians." Thankfully the other couple was very nice, and after the first night, the three of us enjoyed dinner together.

I used to sit at community tables for breakfast and lunch in the MDR. I've met some very interesting people. And on those occasions where there were complainers, it was easy to endure since the meal takes 45 minutes or less.

My last cruise in April was a 15 day Panama Canal Full Transit on Coral. It worked out that I had my own assigned table for breakfast and lunch. I could read my book, relax and enjoy the meal. I faced a community table and was in earshot. And while our cruise included a variety of nationalities, the subject just about ALWAYS turned to American Politics. Some days it would be comical, such as the day at lunch a British couple stated: "Oh, it's not us, not our personal opinion. But let us tell you what our country as a whole is saying about...." Another time I was seething, gripping my table to resisting countering a Texan couple steadfast in their beliefs. Perhaps it was the wife of the Texan couple a few days later who gave me a chance to discretely chuckle as she told her breakfast mates, as she gripped an imaginary string of pearls, about the previous night's comedian in her deep, DEEP, southern drawl: "... he got a bit too SEX-u-AWL with his jokes." It reminded me of one of his funniest, about the stupid tourist woman at the excursion desk who stated she was going snorkeling and wondered if she'd get WET.

My Panama Cruise was by far the BEST TIME I've had at the dinner table. I was seated with a couple from Australia, widow from Switzerland, and a career Army Veteran. We at dinner together all 15 nights, including a night each in the specialty restaurants as a group. Everyone participated in our conversations and we laughed as a group, usually one of the last tables to leave every evening. (Excellent service by Vangie & Jesus only added to our delight.) As an inside joke for anyone in the dining room on this cruise, let me share our goodnight every evening: "Weeeeeeee!"

So as one solo traveler to another, I say that no matter what your style and personality --introvert as one poster mentioned or extrovert as did others-- the cruise is what you make of it. There's plenty of quiet places to be alone and read a good book. Or, if you enjoy sharing, many people are outgoing and friendly, willing to talk with others.

Don't be so quick to ask for another table, unless someone is truly offensive at the first meal together. Many times people warm up and open up.

Enjoy!

I have traveled twice solo to Alaska next year it will be Hawaii. On the first cruise, I became the organizer of the meet and greet. Met some great people on that trip and we traveled again to Alaska last year and will be going to Hawaii next year.

I've done Anytime dining. The only time I ate in MDR was formal night and the last night. Other times was in the buffet or specialty restaurant. Buffets were by myself but MDR and Specialty was with the group.

The reason I didn't do Standard dining is I wanted the flexibility to eat when I wanted and if I was late from and excursion, I didn't want the rest of the table waiting for me to show up. Thought that would be rude.

Breakfast was usually by myself as I'm an early riser and I liked to sit by the window and look out. Someone who was also eating by themselves would ask if they could sit with me and we usually just ate in silence or struck up a conversation.

I just completed my first solo cruise- and I wrote a live from all about it. I did talk a lot about dining.

Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326900

Happy to answer questions!

I have on occasion traveled solo (and liked it) so I clicked over to your blog to see what you had to say. What a treat! I was laughing out loud at points:). You are a wonderful writer; I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for entertaining me this evening!

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled solo for the first time last year. I did anytime dining and ate alone in the MDR every night. I'm an introvert so large groups don't do anything for me. I much prefer to suffer my own company than have to put up with people I may not like. I had a lovely time getting to know the head waiter! I feel that some of the staff were a little thrown off with a female dining by herself, but that's to be expected with such a multi-cultural crew. But overall, I think I got phenomenal service and attention. And I find that the stories of the crew members I have met are way more fascinating than the passengers. And they are very open to talking to you if they know you are alone. :)

I've usually traveled solo. The cruiselines usually attempt to seat solos together, but that can be hit or miss. With Princess, first I was seated with a couple and a solo gentleman, second was with a extended family, third time was a homerun...all solos :) I've had similar experiences on the other lines.

A cruise tends to be a wonderful vacation for single/solos such as myself. My personality tends to fit right in :cool:

If it helps, one of the best ways to meet people when you're traveling solo is in the organized games like trivia, putting competitions, etc. I've met some of the neatest, most interesting people that way. It helps to be doing an activity.

Have a great time! :)

exactly my strategy !

I play every trivia game possible and sing every night in karaoke.

I generally use traditional dining when cruising solo. Remember if you don't have anything in common with your table mates you can always see the Maitre d and ask for a change. Saying this I have nearly always met interesting people at dinner. After all most of them are like you, there to have a great time and meet nice people.

I've cruise solo on Princess several times and have always done anytime dining. I like the flexibility and freedom it affords as I tend to be on a different schedule every day. Often I have met lovely people over dinner and agreed to meet up with them the next day for dinner again, including visits to specialty restaurants. I've never been made to feel unwelcome as a solo on Princess and they are my go-to line for my solo cruises.

Breakfast, when traveling solo, is ALWAYS MDR and ALWAYS a table for one - believe me when I say no one should have to suffer me before the 3rd, possibly 4th, cup of coffee!!!!! I like a quiet. sit down, uncrowded breakfast! If I don't do full breakfast then a latte and granola parfait (and maybe a cronut) at the International cafe will do nicely :D