OPT Embarkation lounge

Howdy cruisers...

Is there a priority embarkation lounge/area at the OPT? From approximately what time can you access it? Can you only access it when boarding is getting ready to start (therefore making it little use for early arrivals)?

We are flying into Sydney early on the day of our cruise and should be at the OPT before 9am. My parents are in their 80s so we won't roam too far from the OPT other than grabbing a light breakfast nearby. We may wander around to the Opera House and back but otherwise will just be sitting around waiting to board.

No priority Embarkation Lounge/Area but there is a Priority line - So basically anyone who isnt a first time cruiser or a C&A member or is booked into a suite.

Whoops, that's based on RCI embarkation!

Edited by tillydog

Not as far as I know.

Early arrivers usually take a break at one of the nearby cafes if they want somewhere nice to sit down.

with what they spent on the renovations they could have built a big waiting area like at White Bay where people could have relaxed under cover out of the rain/hot sun

We are flying into Sydney early on the day of our cruise and should be at the OPT before 9am. My parents are in their 80s so we won't roam too far from the OPT other than grabbing a light breakfast nearby. We may wander around to the Opera House and back but otherwise will just be sitting around waiting to board.

If your parents are OK walking as far as the Opera House, I'd suggest breakfast at the Portobello Caffe, on the eastern side of Circular Quay. Like the Oyster Bar, it's right on the edge of the water so you get great views and can sit and admire your cruise ship while having breakfast. It's a bit expensive but the coffee is excellent and they don't seem to rush you to leave like some cafes do.

Also the OPT is right next to the Rocks if you want to potter around the shops there.

If your parents are OK walking as far as the Opera House, I'd suggest breakfast at the Portobello Caffe, on the eastern side of Circular Quay. Like the Oyster Bar, it's right on the edge of the water so you get great views and can sit and admire your cruise ship while having breakfast. It's a bit expensive but the coffee is excellent and they don't seem to rush you to leave like some cafes do.

Also the OPT is right next to the Rocks if you want to potter around the shops there.

Thanks for the tip. Yes, my parents are pretty good for their age. My dad only retired from work 2 weeks ago :eek:. Good to know we can drop our bags first and then stroll around for a bite to eat. We have an early start that morning (thanks to Qld being backwards with daylight saving)... so I know they won't feel like travelling too far from the OPT. Your suggestion sounds perfect!

with what they spent on the renovations they could have built a big waiting area like at White Bay where people could have relaxed under cover out of the rain/hot sun

Unfortunately due to the size of the footprint and height restriction of the OPT and the total lack of any real possibility of expanding it, the renovations could only optimise what was available ( I believe a fair chunk of the renovation budget was spent on buying back the leases from the restaurants that were there just so they could get more area) so subsequently ( sadly) the OPT is destined to always be just a facility to process passengers off and on cruise ships. The forecourt at the entrance cannot be utilised as I believe there is some sort of electrical " substation" built below it and cannot be moved. Even after the renovations, the introduction of even bigger ships, ie Ovation means the terminal will struggle for the room to handle them so the chance of "luxuries" like priority lounges and shops etc are out of the question.:mad::mad:

Another idea to use up an hour or so......in the past we have boarded one of the ferries and just stayed on board as it did a nice little tour of the harbour e.g. out to Watsons Bay and stopping at a lot of other terminals on the journey. It was very pleasant, sitting down for the full harbour trip and the cost was minimal. If your parents hold a Pensioner Card they can receive discounted ferry tickets as well. A bargain.

Another idea to use up an hour or so......in the past we have boarded one of the ferries and just stayed on board as it did a nice little tour of the harbour e.g. out to Watsons Bay and stopping at a lot of other terminals on the journey. It was very pleasant' date=' sitting down for the full harbour trip and the cost was minimal. If your parents hold a Pensioner Card they can receive discounted ferry tickets as well. A bargain.[/quote']

I like that idea. Considering we booked this cruise as a pre-cruise break before 20+ family members join us on the second part of the b2b, we could jump on a ferry and treat that as our pre-cruise's pre-cruise 🚢.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I like that idea. Considering we booked this cruise as a pre-cruise break before 20+ family members join us on the second part of the b2b, we could jump on a ferry and treat that as our pre-cruise's pre-cruise 🚢.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

if mum & dad havent got an Opal card for getting around Sydney its a cheap way, only cost $2.50 for pensioners for the day....they can order it online and atavate the card before leaving home

if mum & dad havent got an Opal card for getting around Sydney its a cheap way, only cost $2.50 for pensioners for the day....they can order it online and atavate the card before leaving home

Great idea. Thanks :).

Great idea. Thanks :).

i've got a Go Card for travelling around Brisbane and i think its a good idea

when i renewd my Go Card the person at the railway station said to use my seniors card and not the pension card as the seniors card would last for 10 years

i've got a Go Card for travelling around Brisbane and i think its a good idea

when i renewd my Go Card the person at the railway station said to use my seniors card and not the pension card as the seniors card would last for 10 years

Yes, we all use Go Cards for everything. I'll check on my parents' status. I know they have Seniors cards but not sure that they have Pension cards... will look into it.

There's more than one ferry ride your parents might enjoy. You could go to Manly for fish and chips at the beach or up the river the historic Parramatta. Taronga Zoo is also just a ferry ride. Aside from the many places to lunch around Circular Quay and the Opera House there's also the wonderful pubs at the Rocks where there's always a jazz band even at lunch time. Probably too many options to choose from :D