Just off Empress of the Seas

Did you get a staggered check in email for Empress? First time we've had one of these come in. It is check in by decks. Decks 8 & 9 check in at 11-12:00, so not a problem for us. Feel bad for deck 3 folks; check in at 2-3 pm! :(

That looks like the general email that goes out to almost all cruises nowadays. It really is just an attempt to alleviate crowds, but most just ignore it and check in when they want.

We did the walk-off and were off the ship and through customs by 8:15.

Thanks! Do you recall seeing any paperwork in your cabin that had the latest departure time?

Edited by DENNAS

Did you get a staggered check in email for Empress? First time we've had one of these come in. It is check in by decks. Decks 8 & 9 check in at 11-12:00, so not a problem for us. Feel bad for deck 3 folks; check in at 2-3 pm! :(

People have been getting those emails regarding staggered check in time for months.....and for months people have ignored them.....and that is just FINE.

Get to the ship when you want....they usually start boarding around 11am....unless of course the ship had some sort of delay arriving that morning.

We just haven't had one of these come in our email. Carnival does it all the time. :)

carnival enforces it now at certain ports. Arrive before your check in window and they won't let you in to the terminal at all.

I doubt RC enforces it at all; the Empress is the smallest ship, they can certainly handle the guest count.

Thank you so much for the review! :D It was very informative and uplifting. Quick question: Are there lots of deck chairs and rail space to view the passing scenery? I was looking at some pictures and the upper deck space looks limited. We enjoy laying out and going into the pool on sea days, will it be too crowded to relax? Also, since we have an OV cabin, we will need to use the upper rails to watch the ship leave. Is there enough rail space for everyone or should we make sure we get up there early?

Thanks again! :D

For many of us, there are many advantages to a small or medium size ship. I will probably sail on the MEGA ships again, but I will still prefer the smaller ships.

Thanks for the review.

So, did the ship arrive by 7am in Miami. It took an hour for check out? I guess no breakfast is served at the last day of the cruise.

Have never been on an RCI ship where breakfast (even if only in the Windjammer) hasn't been served on the last day of the cruise. Arrival time in the port doesn't mean that debarkation will begin immediately but those doing express checkout and carrying all their luggage usually are allowed off pretty quickly.

We were also on this ship and were concerned at first but we had an excellent time. It was great for first time cruisers.

If I had one complaint and there really isn't much the ship can do about it but if you are wanting to lay out on days at sea you better get up early there were no chairs around the pool deck area and also up on the other area (where the hammocks were) The area isn't big enough to accommodate all the passengers. We did find space on deck 6 (outside of the Bolero) where there were some chairs and so we just laid out there for a while.

One thing to remember is the sun can be deceiving-a lot of people had very very bad burns from the 2nd day.

overall we had an awesome time!

We were also on this ship and were concerned at first but we had an excellent time. It was great for first time cruisers.

If I had one complaint and there really isn't much the ship can do about it but if you are wanting to lay out on days at sea you better get up early there were no chairs around the pool deck area and also up on the other area (where the hammocks were) The area isn't big enough to accommodate all the passengers. We did find space on deck 6 (outside of the Bolero) where there were some chairs and so we just laid out there for a while.

One thing to remember is the sun can be deceiving-a lot of people had very very bad burns from the 2nd day.

overall we had an awesome time!

I just want some clarification on what I have highlighted....all pool decks have chairs on every ship I have sailed on....lounge style and regular seats. Do you mean the "chair hog" problem with people who drop off towels and books that appear to be read by 'invisible sun bathers'.....because that is a different problem, faced on all sailings.

I read that the Empress has a "Sunday Brunch" everyday? It says includes a free Mimosa or Bloody Mary. If so, where on the ship did it happen? How was it? Was it really every day? THANKS!

I read that the Empress has a "Sunday Brunch" everyday? It says includes a free Mimosa or Bloody Mary. If so, where on the ship did it happen? How was it? Was it really every day? THANKS!

It is in the Main Dining Room.

From what I've read, it is actually only offered on sea days.

I just want some clarification on what I have highlighted....all pool decks have chairs on every ship I have sailed on....lounge style and regular seats. Do you mean the "chair hog" problem with people who drop off towels and books that appear to be read by 'invisible sun bathers'.....because that is a different problem, faced on all sailings.

The pool deck is extremely small and can't handle the passengers.

It's at 9:30 in the MDR on sea days only. If there are no sea days they won't have it.

Sorry about that...clarification is there are lots of chairs, lounges, in the pool deck area..problem being whether or not you can get one that isn't taken by invisible people. Lol! The pool area is extremely small and not very well situated that's for sure!

Considering Royal Caribbean wants to debut Cuba aboard Empress once allowed, I would've assumed a little more work done onboard. They spent so much time working on the infrastructure, you would think that they would maybe add a small deck above the pool for just some loungers, maybe a new restaurant or two.

However with that said, I am extremely excited to be sailing onboard the Empress of the Seas and I cannot wait to see what she looks like in August!

Itinerary change. Engine trouble (1), just announced by Captain. Reduced speed. We're heading to Nassau and Coco Cay. Still going to Key West. Refund as OBC of 10% of purchase price.

Not a big deal to us. We're enjoying the ship!