Tivoli Gardens

Hi, can anyone give me information regarding the Tivoli Gardens. I am planning to go independently from the ships tour and wonder how far away from where the ship docs they are? I have been informed that the park does not take the Euro as admittance to the park. Could anyone tell me if this is correct and if it is, what currency is required. thanks

They accept all sorts! From one of the Copenhagen Guides:

It's easy to empty your wallet at Tivoli, and park businesses will happily accept dollars, euros, British pounds, and Scandinavian currencies. Fortunately, the park has two cash machines; see our article on European ATMs and currency exchange machines for advice on using your ATM card overseas.

Check their website for whats on.

We docked near the Little Mermaid, and we walked in, about 1/2 hour from memory. There is a bus service, but it can be very busy. Personally, I was unimpressed by the Gardens, it seemed more like a amusement park with lots of expensive restaurants IMO.

We walked to Tivoli last year from the cruise docks, but this was via a whole day of walking to the palace, around Copenhagen and then to Tivoli. We got there in time for a great popular ballet on the open stage and then walked all around the park. It can be described as having two distinct parts. The older part is older, has very early family outing kinds of structures, and at night is very pretty with the lights. They say that Walt Disney had his first thoughts about Disneyland after visiting.

The back part is the "amusement park" and is rather tacky (as compared to newer US amusement parts, but kind of funky in its own right.

Our timing was such that we were there at dinner time and enjoyed the restaurants (sit down, full meal, service).

It was definitely worth the one time visit.

We were absolutely bushed from a full day of walking and it was late by the time we left, so we found a cab back to the ship.

I think it was at least 2-3 miles away.

We were in Copenhagen in fall of 2014. There was a local bus that came very close to the cruise terminal. I think it was bus 29. However, if you don't want to take the bus, you can walk to public transport (Metro). It is about 2-3 miles if I remember.

Go on TripAdvisor and check the map of Copenhagen. Tivoli is just across the street from the main train station.

Taxis are expensive in Copenhagen.

According to Rick Steves guide to Northern European Ports (well worth having) bus #26 goes from the docks to Tivoli and seems to be the bus that you need for tourist Copenhagen.. Price is around 99Skr entry (about £10; $15) Fairground Rides are extra , I think about 25Skr but you may need more than one ticket hence a 199 Skr multi ride ticket can be good value.

Go over to the ports of call board. You'll find lots of help with doing Copenhagen without ship excursions. The newer terminal is a long walk. I'd bus it so you have time and energy to spend in the park and surrounding area.

Confirm where you are docking. We were a good 20-30 min cab ride from Tivoli.

Tivoli itself is charming. It is an amusement park, plain and simple, but different from those in the states in style and construction. There is an admission only fee if you just want to stroll the grounds and soak up the atmosphere. You can pay to get unlimited rides, or you can buy tickets for just a few rides. We had an excellent Danish dinner at one of the restaurants there.

The view from the tops of the tall rides is awesome, FWIW.

It very much matters where your ships docks as to whether you can walk to Tivoli or whether you will need to take a bus or taxi. The Oceankaj terminal is about 5 miles from Tivoli and you wouldn't want to walk from there. (Danish Viking has great info on "Wonderful Copenhagen 2016 about how to get into Copenhagen proper from Oceankaj using public transportation.)

Edited by GradUT