florida resident special offers

michmike2

now that we'vew switched over from snowbirds to full time FL residents, I've heard over the years that there are all these last minute "Let's get the ship filled" offers for the Florida folks. Any ideas on where to find those offerings, if, in fact, they do exist?

now that we'vew switched over from snowbirds to full time FL residents, I've heard over the years that there are all these last minute "Let's get the ship filled" offers for the Florida folks. Any ideas on where to find those offerings, if, in fact, they do exist?
We live 3 hours north of FLL and have asked several times to be put on "last minute" lists for FLL or Tampa. Only once have we received an offer for a cruise about two weeks away, and it was no big bargain. Maybe those in the FLL - Miami area get those deals.

Edited by jtl513

thanks for the response. We're over north of Ft Myers, so an easy 2- 1/2 hrs to FLL or Miami and less than 2 hours to Tampa. Guess we'll see what the other responses bring.

Just as an aside, this is our first summer in FL so I'm sure I'll be hearing from all those folks up north that I gloated to about the weather over the winter, asking how we like the heat and humidity. *L*

thanks for the response. We're over north of Ft Myers, so an easy 2- 1/2 hrs to FLL or Miami and less than 2 hours to Tampa. Guess we'll see what the other responses bring.

Just as an aside, this is our first summer in FL so I'm sure I'll be hearing from all those folks up north that I gloated to about the weather over the winter, asking how we like the heat and humidity. *L*

Enjoy the heat & humidity. We've lived in west central Florida since 1975, and in the summer when we get daily temps of 95, we head to the Caribbean, where in St. Maarten in August, it's 84-86 and cooling trade winds.

Just tell them that your weather is "pool" weather......... That's what I say! I love the summers here in Florida...... Same weather as Maryland only a lot less pollution!

We have never received any last minute cruise deals from Hal for being a FL resident either. I think you would need to call Hal and just ask if there are any resident rates.

Edited by Hflors

If you are not married to HAL, you can sign up with Princess - they send me last minute fares, I believe called "Drop and Go", or something like that.

They are all for Europe and the Med right now, not interested so I scan and delete. They do seem reasonable.

Last year my sis got a 14 day circle Great Britain in a balcony cabin on the Royal Princess for $899 on a last minute offering.

Of course, airfare and excursions killed, but you get the idea. Last minute fares do exist.

Agree, probably a good local TA could help with other lines.

Princess is the only one that I know of that you can sign up specifically to get last minute deals emailed to you.

I think it's got a lot to do with your ZIP code. Ours is the same as Port Everglades' and I can tell you, without a doubt, that we get offers galore. You have to remember how email campaign marketing software works though. If you want to keep getting emails, you need to:

1. Make sure that your mail programs downloads the graphics in the email. (That's how they track "opens.")
  2. Click on the links in the emails on a fairly regular basis. (That's how they track "engagement.")
  3. Expect to get emails and possibly phone calls from the cruise lines' sales agents. If you've given them your phone number, you'll get calls. If all they have is your email address, you'll get emails.
  4. Remember that the cruise lines will do a merge/purge clean up and you might fall out if the database if you don't book anything. The amount of time you'll stay active varies by cruise line. HAL & Celebrity are relatively quick to clean up. Carnival & Royal Caribbean will leave you in longer. Near as I can tell, Seabourn, Silversea & Crystal leave you in for years.
  5. If you can, use a discardable email address and supply a ZIP Code close to the port you're interested in. Use 33316 for Port Everglades and 33140 for Miami. (Port Miami's ZIP is 33132, but it's got a low average income. You want to be from a ZIP with "disposable cruising inclement.")

Hope that helps. In case you're wondering, the last minute fares aren't tied to your ZIP code. They won't care where you're from. Your money will still work.

You may need a good TA to help here. Have a friend who lives about 30 minutes from FLL and she gets phone calls from her TA with unbelievable offers - like $500 for 14 days in the Caribbean - but the ship leaves in 2 days. Do not remember she mentioning that she was ever contacted by HAL though.

We live 3 hours north of FLL and have asked several times to be put on "last minute" lists for FLL or Tampa. Only once have we received an offer for a cruise about two weeks away, and it was no big bargain. Maybe those in the FLL - Miami area get those deals.

We're full time Fla residents & have only received an offer a few times over the years...However have had several PCC's both call us & e-mail us to ask if they could be of assistance in making a booking, as recently as two months ago, when they found that I was looking at an itinerary.... I e-mailed the last one back & said we were planning to book, which we did but have not told them what our dates were yet.. No super sales that our TA couldn't give us..:eek:

Edited by serendipity1499

I think it's got a lot to do with your ZIP code. Ours is the same as Port Everglades' and I can tell you, without a doubt, that we get offers galore. You have to remember how email campaign marketing software works though. If you want to keep getting emails, you need to:

1. Make sure that your mail programs downloads the graphics in the email. (That's how they track "opens.")
  2. Click on the links in the emails on a fairly regular basis. (That's how they track "engagement.")
  3. Expect to get emails and possibly phone calls from the cruise lines' sales agents. If you've given them your phone number, you'll get calls. If all they have is your email address, you'll get emails.
  4. Remember that the cruise lines will do a merge/purge clean up and you might fall out if the database if you don't book anything. The amount of time you'll stay active varies by cruise line. HAL & Celebrity are relatively quick to clean up. Carnival & Royal Caribbean will leave you in longer. Near as I can tell, Seabourn, Silversea & Crystal leave you in for years.
  5. If you can, use a discardable email address and supply a ZIP Code close to the port you're interested in. Use 33316 for Port Everglades and 33140 for Miami. (Port Miami's ZIP is 33132, but it's got a low average income. You want to be from a ZIP with "disposable cruising inclement.")

Hope that helps. In case you're wondering, the last minute fares aren't tied to your ZIP code. They won't care where you're from. Your money will still work.

Excellent response!

From Nov15 to Apr16 we planned two cruises a year in advance but sailed five times; three were last minute deals; all two weeks prior to sail date; one on HAL, one on Celebrity, one on Oceania.

You need to be hooked up with good (right TA) and check cruise prices daily on line.

HAL cruise was 15 day Caribbean on Veendam; $66/day/person for Vista Suite

Oceania cruise was 10 day Caribbean on Riviera; $154/day/person for Verandah

Celebrity cruise was 13 day Caribbean on Ecilspe; $150/day/person for Conceige Cabin and free drinks, prepaid tips and $600 cabin credit.

Count me among the Florida residents who have never gotten a special short notice deal that wasn't available to everyone. Like one poster indicated, just keep checking the fares on a regular basis and a real bargain might turn up or the ship may be sold out, as the case may be.

I understand that at one time in Miami, guests could go down to the pier on day of sailing and pick up some real bargains. However, that all changed on 9-11.

Michmike2-

We moved to Englewood Nov 2014 so this is our 2nd summer here. Actually were surprised because not as bad as anticipated. Just hang by/in pool a lot. Nice to be close to various FL ports. Wish knew how to get on list for those last minute cruises they talk about.

SW Florida does not get as hot as Chicago, at least not in my six Summers here. Yes most of the season is warmer and wetter, but when you add Winter to the comparison, well, there is no comparison. :)

Just searched my email for FL resident promos from HAL. There were 5, all in 2014.