Just off Oasis 6/11-6/18-Review

Thanks for the sharing the great photos.

Unusual itinerary, I had been on the eastern and it was Nassau, St. Maarten,

and St. Thomas the last time, which is the route we are doing next January.

Interesting how they are mixing it up. :)

Edited by island lady

Happy Saturday All!

Just returned back to CT after debarking Oasis this morning. We had a great time, and she is definitely a beautiful ship. HUGE!!!!

Just a little background: On this cruise was myself, Kristin, 45, DH 43, and DD 17. We have cruised 4 other times, all on Carnival. This year the pricing between the Carnival Magic and Oasis for summertime was only a couple hundred dollars difference. Since we knew we always wanted to try one of the "BIG" girls, this seemed like the right time.

We left CT on Friday, 6/10, and stayed at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th St, based on everything we had read on here, and also Trip Advisor. While the location of the hotel was good, the room definitely needed some upgrading. We had a premium suite on the 12th floor, overlooking the port. The room had a "funky" smell to it, but other than that, it served it's purpose.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at noon, so they took our bags and we had a great lunch at Duffy's, just right down the road ( 1 block ). Headed back and was able to get into the room. Well, the skies opened up, and it continued to rain for a couple of hours, so we called a cab to take us where we needed to go. DH wanted to get some cigars and found a HUGE cigar store, so he was thrilled. Stopped at CVS for some last minute items, and Winn Dixie to grab my wine. Back to the hotel in time for the free reception of drinks and snacks. After that, we just went back to the room and chilled out. It was an early morning and a long, hot day of travelling.

Woke up Saturday morning, and stepped out on the balcony, and there she was, in all her glory. We couldn't believe our day had finally arrived. We hurried to get ready and repack what we needed to and headed down for the free breakfast. It was EXCELLENT!!!! Headed back up to the room to grab the luggage and back down to the lobby. We decided to just call a taxi, since the port was only 5 minutes away. Got to the port before 10. No line to get checked in. We got our sea passes, etc, and then went upstairs and waited. Honestly, I think we waited a little over an hour before they started boarding.

We were on the ship by 11:30. Again, we were in awe when we stepped into the Promenade. Not overly surprised, as we had read so many picture reviews, we pretty much knew exactly what it looked like.:rolleyes:

We made our reservation for Chops for Friday night, and we already had reservations for Izumi the first night. Both were delicious and exceeded our expectations.

I should also mention that DH and I had purchased the Premium Drink Package at the time it initially went on sale, and were able to get it for $320.00per person, which included the 18% gratuity. This was before Royal realized they made a mistake and stopped honoring the price. We really lucked out.

And I will say, we got 10X our moneys worth on that package.:D

We were finally able to get into the cabins at 1. We had 6602, which was a Superior Oceanview Balcony, on the hump. The balcony was very deep, but also, very narrow, again, compared to Carnival. The cabin was very clean, however, it was very SMALL, in comparison to Carnival. The bathroom was TINY.:eek: We had the sleeper sofa for DD, and while it was HUGE and comfortable, when it was open, you had to shimmy your way out onto the balcony. lol It made for some funny jokes and memories. Also, our cabin was a connecting cabin, however, we heard ZERO noise from our neighbors, as a matter of fact, we didn't see them all week.

Then there was our room Steward, Jason from Jamaica. By far, the BEST ROOM STEWARD EVER!!!!!!! He had the best personality, funny, and very caring and attentive to our needs. So much so, we ended up giving him an $80.00 tip last night. He was moved to tears......this guy was PHENOMENAL!

So, after we checked out the cabin, we went to explore and try to get acclimated with the ship. Let me tell you, thank GOD we had DD with us, because up until last night DH and I still didn't know to go left or right when we left the cabin.:o

We went up to Deck 15 to check out the pool area, we found the smoking section, was pretty large and pretty well appointed. Got a lot of our drinks from the Sky Bar, right there. All of the bartenders were very friendly and we tipped an additional dollar for each drink. No complaints there.......

Went up to check out the Flowriders, mini-golf, zip line, etc. Love the way that deck is laid out.

Went back to the cabin to find DH and DD's bags had arrived, but not mine.

Jason informed me that Security needed to see me:eek: He asked if I had anything in there that I shouldn't, as he was laughing. DH and DD knew I had a 3 liter box of wine in there, and they just stood there giggling. I made them come down to the "naughty" room with me, and there were about 6 suitcases total. Saw mine right away and pointed it out. He asked me if I had a power strip in there, and I did. I didn't realize they weren't allowed, as they are allowed on Carnival. Nothing about the wine, just the damn power strip. Looked over at DH and DD with a nice big GRIN on my face...I opened the bag and there it was, right on top. He told me the room steward would give it back to me on the last night, and he did. Live and learn........

Dragged the monster of a bag back to the cabin and unpacked.

I should mention we attended Muster in the Opal Theater. It was painless. 20 minutes and we were out.

For this cruise, we had YTD on 5 out of the 7 nights. Sadly, we only went once, and were not impressed. First of all, the menus posted both at the dining room, and on the TV in the cabin were wrong. So we missed the lobster and that was disappointing. Carnival definitely wins, hands down with the food. Windjammer was meh. Did Johnny Rockets for breakfast one morning and it was just OK. We did Sabor for lunch on Monday, after the belly flop contest in the Aqua Theater, and again, we were not impressed. The service was horrible, it was HOTTER than HE** in there. Granted, it IS an open air restaurant on the Boardwalk, and it WAS 2:00 in the afternoon, so, not much you can do about that. But, again, not impressed with the food.

In St. Maarten, we booked a private tour with Bernards and it was wonderful.

He took us sightseeing on the island, we got to hold sea urchins, and other sea creatures (DD's favorite part of the trip). lol Then he took us to Maho, as the KLM flight was landing at 10:55 that morning.....it was AMAZING. Got a great video, that I will post later, along with my other pictures. Had a few drinks at the Sunshine Grill (?) and then headed to Orient beach for 2 hours in the sun. Beautiful beach, beautiful warm, aqua blue/green water. GREAT beach day. We then headed over to Phillipsburg and did some shopping for about 2 hours and headed back to the ship. Great port day. I should also mention, we were the only ship in port that day.

San Juan, we were only there from 7-2, so the beach was out.

Decided to get off late and just wander around. DD wanted to get some gifts for the boyfriend and friends back home, and then we decided to stop in Senor Frogs for a drink or two, before heading back to the ship. Well, the place was an absolute ZOO, so that didn't happen. Got myself a t-shirt though. Beautiful city, but incredibly HOT and HUMID to walk. I was dripping sweat by the time we walked back to the ship. Today we had company. The Carnival Magic and Carnival Glory were in port with us.

Labadee- Not a fan. Decided to go to Columbus Cove, based on reviews we read on here. Little bit of a hike and it was HOT. Should have taken the tram, but we didn't. Live and learn, again. lol Tried the Labadoozie, one sip and in the garbage. It was like drinking PURE RUM. It was GROSS!!! And yes, I did stir it up. Still gross. lol Sorry!!! I really did want to like it. We actually enjoyed the BBQ lunch. The food was fresh and tasty, but we went pretty early, too. We left after lunch. We smartened up this time and took the tram back......much better. lol

The last sea day is always depressing, so we spent time at the pool, looked for the small wonders (got the list from Guest Services). DD loved these things.

Pretty much just chilled yesterday......

Finally dragged the suitcases out after we returned from Chops and began the tedious job of packing to come home. BOO!!!!

Woke up at 5:30 this morning to see us already docked in port. Saw people walking off at 6:15. :eek: We originally had an 11:45 flight booked back to BDL via TPA. I went on Southwest's website and saw a 10:20 flight through BWI with plenty of seats still available. We got ready and were off the ship by 7. Got to the Southwest counter and they were able to get us on the earlier flight for $87.00 total. Not bad. Got home 2 hours earlier than planned.

I am going to add pictures later tonight or tomorrow, but through Tapatalk, as you don't need to download them first.

So, overall, we had a great time, and we are so happy we were able to experience the Oasis. BUT, we all agreed that we missed Carnival, and Carnival just feels more like home to us. The ship was just TOO big. It took 10 minutes to get ANYWHERE. And while there are things that Royal DOES do better, at the end of the day, there is just more that Carnival does better. This does not mean we will never cruise on Royal again, but just not the Oasis class. Freedom possibly? Our next cruise will be on the Carnival Vista, next June for DD's HS graduation gift.

Again, I will be adding pictures later, or tomorrow. Until then if there are any questions, or comments, feel free to fire away. Sorry this got so wordy. I talk a lot, so I guess I type a lot too!!! lol

Ok I have to ask, did they take the power strip, wine or both? Going this same itinerary next month.

Just the power strip.:D:D

Never said a word about the box of wine.:D:D

Great news for you!!! Was looking to do the same thing next month, I dont drink soda normally, and when I buy a wine package they often run out of the wines I would prefer on my package.

Great news for you!!! Was looking to do the same thing next month, I dont drink soda normally, and when I buy a wine package they often run out of the wines I would prefer on my package.

I'm not sure that you'd be so lucky with bottles. I have read multiple times that the cardboard wine boxes go undetected, and that just happens to be my favorite wine. Franzia Sangria, on ice. Just refreshing and sweet.:D:D

But, if you're a box wine kinda girl, like me, I think you'll be fine.

I just buried the box half way down in between my clothes.:D

Good Luck and have a GREAT cruise!!!:D

Great review and pics.

You said you missed lobster night because of the menus being wrong on your tv. That is what I am afraid of with this same itinerary. Do you remember what night it was really on?

Thanks

Our waiter told us that our cruise was the LAST cruise with the OLD menus.

Effective Saturday (yesterday), BRAND NEW MENUS.

Figures.......:rolleyes:

Hopefully someone will post the new menus in the next week or so.

It really was frustrating. Both the menus at the restaurant (digital) at the entrance and the ones on the TV's were wrong. We told the waiter and that's when he told us about the new ones starting yesterday.

Good Luck!!!!!

Edited by KPfromCT

Thanks for the response about the new menus, but the formal nights should remain the same. Do you remember which night lobster night really was. Anyone posting the new menus in the future won't be for this itinerary, which is an unusual one.

Edited by Smokey Mountain Tim

Thanks for the response about the new menus, but the formal nights should remain the same. Do you remember which night lobster night really was. Anyone posting the new menus in the future won't be for this itinerary, which is an unusual one.

Formal nights for us were Sunday and Wednesday. Enjoy!:D

Lobster would have been on Wednesday night.:mad:

Lobster was on Wednesday night, along with a second chance at Prime Rib. It was formal night.

I never saw the menus on TV, and I looked!

DH was upset when the fruit medley he saw posted downstairs wasn't available till the following night. That's when our waiter told us the menus were changing. Definite communications gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lobster was on Wednesday night, along with a second chance at Prime Rib. It was formal night.

I never saw the menus on TV, and I looked!

DH was upset when the fruit medley he saw posted downstairs wasn't available till the following night. That's when our waiter told us the menus were changing. Definite communications gap.

Frustrating, right?:mad:

Huge communication gap!

Edited by KPfromCT

By the way, breakfast at Wipeout Cafe was pretty good, and sitting on deck to eat under a roof was great. Scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, grits, fruit and toast. DH asked about English Muffins and two minutes later they were delivered to our table right out of the toaster!

Thank you for your review of the cruise -- it is always interesting to see others' points of view; as a fellow passenger I can attest to the crazy heat and humidity during this cruise (San Juan in particular).

For those inquiring:

I have all the compasses and kids compasses on hand ready to start scanning today depending on how work goes.

Good review and pictures. Sailed Allure in April. My choice as I was curious about the Rising Tide Bar. I found the ship huge but very manageable. I have cruised Carnival several (14 or 15) times. Was on Victory in January. I found the Carnival experience to be less than in the past. Royal is OK but we prefer Celebrity by far. A little more $$ but well worth it. Booked on Silhouette in January 2017. Trying MSC Divina in 111 days.

I am on this same itinerary in July. What nights were formal?

Formal nights for us were Sunday and Wednesday. Enjoy!:D

Lobster would have been on Wednesday night.:mad:

Day 2 & 5

Thank you for your review of the cruise -- it is always interesting to see others' points of view; as a fellow passenger I can attest to the crazy heat and humidity during this cruise (San Juan in particular).

For those inquiring:

I have all the compasses and kids compasses on hand ready to start scanning today depending on how work goes.

I would love to see these.... On Oasis in about 30 days! Will you post them here in this thread??