VOOM Internet... WOM!

Just finished an awesome week aboard the beautiful Allure of the Seas. Purchased the Voom Internet and streeming package for 2 devices. All I can say is WOW!! I had a solid connection the entire week and was able to even skype with my daughter and see our brand new granddaughter.

I am use to the old times of being on the ship with only dial up speed and then with wifi only spotty connections at best. Not any moor, the Voom exceeded my expectations. Just keep your phone in airplane mode and off you go. I used the Whatsapp and was able to text away. I know some people say they want to have that time to stay away from everything... But some of us just can't and need to stay connected to work... And for us, our daughter just gave birth to our first grand child so me and my wife loved the ability to stay connected to her and still enjoy our cruise.

Well done Royal Caribbean! 👍🏼

Just finished an awesome week aboard the beautiful Allure of the Seas. Purchased the Voom Internet and streeming package for 2 devices. All I can say is WOW!! I had a solid connection the entire week and was able to even skype with my daughter and see our brand new granddaughter.

I am use to the old times of being on the ship with only dial up speed and then with wifi only spotty connections at best. Not any moor, the Voom exceeded my expectations. Just keep your phone in airplane mode and off you go. I used the Whatsapp and was able to text away. I know some people say they want to have that time to stay away from everything... But some of us just can't and need to stay connected to work... And for us, our daughter just gave birth to our first grand child so me and my wife loved the ability to stay connected to her and still enjoy our cruise.

Well done Royal Caribbean! 👍🏼

Great post, I was wondering how good the new internet connection was. I am like you not for work, but I like to text back to people and keep in touch, and to be quite honest make people jealous we are on a gorgeous cruise ship and awesome vacation. I can't lie about that.

Question though why do you recommend keeping in airplane mode? What is whatsapp? I never heard of it. Thanks for the posting though, interesting information.

Great post, I was wondering how good the new internet connection was. I am like you not for work, but I like to text back to people and keep in touch, and to be quite honest make people jealous we are on a gorgeous cruise ship and awesome vacation. I can't lie about that.

Question though why do you recommend keeping in airplane mode? What is whatsapp? I never heard of it. Thanks for the posting though, interesting information.

WhatsApp is an app to text.

Airplane mode to avoid roaming charges.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

WhatsApp is an app to text.

Airplane mode to avoid roaming charges.

(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

That is correct! I use WhatsApp to text a few friends that live out of the country!

And yes, VOOM worked very well on Anthem too! :D

That is correct! I use WhatsApp to text a few friends that live out of the country!

And yes, VOOM worked very well on Anthem too! :D

Ok, so whatsapp allows you to text for free or something?

It all depends on the ship - they all sell VOOM but VOOM is not the same on all ships. Just off NAV and it was spotty. But even on the very best days, it was not even close to the quality we experienced on Quantum. RCI needs to step it up so that VOOM delivers consistent and identical quality on ALL ships.

Ok, so whatsapp allows you to text for free or something?

It works on wifi.

It's a clever app that allows kids too young to deal with a proper cellphone, but who are sometimes in places with free wifi, to communicate. My son doesn't have a phone with a SIM, but when he's at the YMCA if I'm doing errands he can text me in between dance classes if he needs something.

So it's very cool for the ship if you buy their wifi.

Did you pre-purchase an Internet package? Online before the cruise, they only sell full cruise Internet packages. Do they only have packages once on the ship or can you use the Internet per hour or day as well? If so, do you remember the pricing? Also wondering if you buy with stream capabilities if the connection is better.

Did you pre-purchase an Internet package? Online before the cruise, they only sell full cruise Internet packages. Do they only have packages once on the ship or can you use the Internet per hour or day as well? If so, do you remember the pricing? Also wondering if you buy with stream capabilities if the connection is better.

The shortest period you can buy on the ship is 24-hours unlimited. This will cost more than the daily price when you buy multiple days.

Do you have to use what's AP? Can't you just use iMessage?

Sure, you can use iMessage, if everyone you want to message is on an Apple platform.

WhatsApp is multi-platform, so it can be used between Apple and Android platforms.

I just purchased the package on the ship. We had a good coupon in our cabin from crown and anchor. On the Allure it worked all over the ship and even out on the pier at destinations.

Everyone responding is correct. I was able to iMessage some folks but the Whatapp worked with everyone else and actually is faster for picture and video downloads.

And yes, stay on airplane mode so you are not using your cell service and racking up cell and roaming charges.

Glad to hear it! I logged into my cruise planner this morning and saw a 30% deal for Voom so am seriously considering getting it. Only works out to about $100 for 8 days I think.

I'm not intending to spend loads of time online whilst onboard, but my teenager will be at home and I'd like to have everyday communication with her.

Glad to hear it! I logged into my cruise planner this morning and saw a 30% deal for Voom so am seriously considering getting it. Only works out to about $100 for 8 days I think.

I'm not intending to spend loads of time online whilst onboard, but my teenager will be at home and I'd like to have everyday communication with her.

Just realize that as of now Explorer does not have the same internet performance as Allure. WiFi texting will work, but any video or other interactive app will be sluggish.

I'll opt for taking time out for myself. If someone really needs to get in touch with me, they've got my cabin number. Otherwise, I'm here to enjoy myself with as much "dis" traction as I can not offer.

No kidding, I work like a dog. Constantly on tablet at home. Checking work emails. Getting after hours texts and resolving issues.

One of the biggest benefit of cruising for us is a week where no one can bother us. But to each their own! I know it is hard for people to unplug. If people want to spend their $1000+ vacation online posting on message boards and making phone calls it's their money, who am I to tell them how to spend it. God bless.