Elation 6/4: Shorts and Crabcakes

DH and I needed a quick getaway so we booked the Carnival Elation sailing on 6/4/16. The cruise overall was relaxing. The staff was WONDERFUL, the ship was always clean and we had no complaints, except for shorts in the dining room and the Crabcakes. Let me explain.

Shorts: We have sailed with Carnival numerous times, so we are familiar with the dress code in the dining room. I have seen many posts about guests not following the dress code, but never really paid much attention until this cruise. The majority of the guests were 1st time cruisers with Carnival (there was a sea of blue cards) and the dress code in the dining room was not enforced. Shorts were worn by men and women and there were men in the dining room with baseball caps every night. Since the majority of the cruisers were 1st timers, I think not enforcing the dress code set a precedence for any other cruises that may be taken which will make it more difficult for Carnival to enforce. The mentality will be "I did it the first time, why can't I continue to do it?" Whose job is it to enforce the dress code?

Crabcakes: On each cruise I look forward to ordering crab cakes. It's one of my favorite foods and I always order two. This cruise was no different, until they arrived at our table. Who told Carnival to change the recipe for the darn crab cakes? I received 2 plates of what I can only consider fried dough. THERE WAS NOT ANY CRABMEAT IN THE CRABCAKES!! I was HOT! Has anyone else noticed a difference in the crabcakes? I don't usually complain, but the fried dough has got to go!

I agree totally with your observation about shorts in the MDR. I would like to add it is not just limited to Carnival. I have seen the same thing on RCL& NCL. I wish they would pass a rule of "No shorts in the MDR" (along with a requirement of a collared shirt). There will be people who respond with "I am on vacation....". Fine, no prob, GO TO THE BUFFET

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Carnival's dress code for MDR now allows for men to wear "dress" shorts (Dockers type) on non-elegant nights. DH wears these with a collared, polo-style shirt. On elegant night he wears long pants (Khakis, chinos) and a button down shirt, usually with a tie. No sport coat.

Carnival's dress code for MDR now allows for men to wear "dress" shorts (Dockers type) on non-elegant nights. DH wears these with a collared, polo-style shirt. On elegant night he wears long pants (Khakis, chinos) and a button down shirt, usually with a tie. No sport coat.

See you can learn something new everyday. I had no idea the dress code has changed. We are accustomed to packing business casual for non elegant nights and I guess I want everyone to to dress like me. I may have been a little judgmental, especially without accurate information

I agree totally with your observation about shorts in the MDR. I would like to add it is not just limited to Carnival. I have seen the same thing on RCL& NCL. I wish they would pass a rule of "No shorts in the MDR" (along with a requirement of a collared shirt). There will be people who respond with "I am on vacation....". Fine, no prob, GO TO THE BUFFET

NCL allows shorts in the less formal dining room.

DH and I needed a quick getaway so we booked the Carnival Elation sailing on 6/4/16. The cruise overall was relaxing. The staff was WONDERFUL, the ship was always clean and we had no complaints, except for shorts in the dining room and the Crabcakes. Let me explain.

Shorts: We have sailed with Carnival numerous times, so we are familiar with the dress code in the dining room. I have seen many posts about guests not following the dress code, but never really paid much attention until this cruise. The majority of the guests were 1st time cruisers with Carnival (there was a sea of blue cards) and the dress code in the dining room was not enforced. Shorts were worn by men and women and there were men in the dining room with baseball caps every night. Since the majority of the cruisers were 1st timers, I think not enforcing the dress code set a precedence for any other cruises that may be taken which will make it more difficult for Carnival to enforce. The mentality will be "I did it the first time, why can't I continue to do it?" Whose job is it to enforce the dress code?

Crabcakes: On each cruise I look forward to ordering crab cakes. It's one of my favorite foods and I always order two. This cruise was no different, until they arrived at our table. Who told Carnival to change the recipe for the darn crab cakes? I received 2 plates of what I can only consider fried dough. THERE WAS NOT ANY CRABMEAT IN THE CRABCAKES!! I was HOT! Has anyone else noticed a difference in the crabcakes? I don't usually complain, but the fried dough has got to go!

1. Carnivals dress code allows for shorts. When was the last time you cruised, or maybe you are not as up to date as you though?

2. Dough for crabcakes? Never seen crabcakes made with dough in my life. That's weird. Though I have noticed that specialty items like that on many cruises seem to be nothing but breading and filler, and very little meat of the actual item.

NCL allows shorts in the less formal dining room.

I wasn't claiming anyone was breaking any rules. My preference is no shorts in the dining rooms for dinner. If you want to be laid back casual, go to the buffet

Edited by First and Ten

We just went to Joe's Crab Shack and they changed their crabcakes too. Absolutely the worst. Tasted like stove top stuffing with zero crabmeat in them. Just saying.

I wasn't claiming anyone was breaking any rules. My preference is no shorts in the dining rooms for dinner. If you want to be laid back casual, go to the buffet

The better solution for you is to sail cruiselines that meet your needs, not tell people who are within guidelines to go away.

The better solution for you is to sail cruiselines that meet your needs, not tell people who are within guidelines to go away.

You are exaggerating, please point out in my post where I said to "go away". I didn't, I was simply expressing an opinion. Sounds like my opinion differs from yours and you take issue with that. Pretty closed minded on your part

Edited by First and Ten

There have been shorts in the MDR for years and it does not bother us at all.

You are exaggerating, please point out in my post where I said to "go away". I didn't, I was simply expressing an opinion. Sounds like my opinion differs from yours and you take issue with that. Pretty closed minded on your part

My opinion is anyone within the guidelines is welcome. That's not really close minded at all. It's called inclusiveness, being accepting of people's differences.

I was just suggesting if it was a problem for you that people wear shorts, try a cruise line where it is not allowed. Problem solved. You don't seem to accepting of what the cruise line allows, so you might be happier elsewhere.

My opinion is anyone within the guidelines is welcome. That's not really close minded at all. It's called inclusiveness, being accepting of people's differences.

I was just suggesting if it was a problem for you that people wear shorts, try a cruise line where it is not allowed. Problem solved. You don't seem to accepting of what the cruise line allows, so you might be happier elsewhere.

Do I think it's proper dining attire in a formal dining room setting....no. Is it something I stress about, absolutely not. Plenty of posters on here want the Cheers plan altered or FTTF tweaked. Is it something that negatively impacts my trip, nahhhh. We are on vacation, it's all good. Towel hogs grind my gears far worse

Edited by First and Ten

Do I think it's proper dining attire in a formal dining room setting....no. Is it something I stress about, absolutely not. Plenty of posters on here want the Cheers plan altered or FTTF tweaked. Is it something that negatively impacts my trip, nahhhh. We are on vacation, it's all good. Chair hogs grind my gears far worse

Great, your preference is to not wear shorts in the dining room for dinner. Fine, don't wear them then. How is it any of your business what other people wear? I'm really getting sick and tired of people thinking they they can dictate what others wear on their vacations. My husband wears cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirts in the dining room on casual nights. It's not against the dress code. And we are certainly not going to eat in the buffet because you would prefer not to see him since he's wearing shorts. If you don't like it why don't YOU go eat in the buffet so that you don't have to be subjected to other people not living up to your standards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

Great, your preference is to not wear shorts in the dining room for dinner. Fine, don't wear them then. How is it any of your business what other people wear? I'm really getting sick and tired of people thinking they they can dictate what others wear on their vacations. My husband wears cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirts in the dining room on casual nights. It's not against the dress code. And we are certainly not going to eat in the buffet just because you prefer not to see him simply because he's wearing shorts. If you don't like it why don't YOU go eat in the buffet so that you don't have to be subjected to other people not living up to your

standards

If you go back to my original post, I never claimed anyone was breaking the rules. I said I wish the rules to be changed that only long pants and a collared shirt be allowed in the MDR. There are plenty of nights that I am still in swim trunks or shorts at dinner time. We end up going to the buffet on those nights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Do I think it's proper dining attire in a formal dining room setting....no. Is it something I stress about, absolutely not. Plenty of posters on here want the Cheers plan altered or FTTF tweaked. Is it something that negatively impacts my trip, nahhhh. We are on vacation, it's all good. Towel hogs grind my gears far worse

I don't think Carnival MDR's are even anything close to formal dining though, not with the dancing waiters and Gangnam style or Hey Baby disco thumping music. And Carnival apparently doesn't think so either really as reflected by downgrades to the menu.

Have you ever tried Princess? Now THAT'S a classy dining experience. But when I am on carnival you'll see me in khaki shorts, a tommy bahama shirt, and boat shoes.

I do wish they would address the baseball cap situation. As far as shorts - once everyone is sitting at the table they could be wearing anything from a long skirt or tuxedo pants to a mini skirt or cargo shorts and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Half the time you don't even see what people have on from the waist down when they are walking to the table.

The guy I'm dating wears business clothing everyday. I don't want to see people in bathing suits in the dining room however people in shorts no problem. I don't think the solution is go eat at the buffet. Maybe carnival could have one dining time that a dress code is enforced... Meaning no shorts, ladies in a skirt and men in a nicer shirt with dress slacks. For him and I my preference is nice shorts or a sundress for me and for him well he will be in business casual because that is who he is :)

I don't think Carnival MDR's are even anything close to formal dining though, not with the dancing waiters and Gangnam style or Hey Baby disco thumping music. And Carnival apparently doesn't think so either really as reflected by downgrades to the menu.

Have you ever tried Princess? Now THAT'S a classy dining experience. But when I am on carnival you'll see me in khaki shorts, a tommy bahama shirt, and boat shoes.

When was the last time you were on princess? I think you will find things have changed.

The guy I'm dating wears business clothing everyday. I don't want to see people in bathing suits in the dining room however people in shorts no problem. I don't think the solution is go eat at the buffet. Maybe carnival could have one dining time that a dress code is enforced... Meaning no shorts, ladies in a skirt and men in a nicer shirt with dress slacks. For him and I my preference is nice shorts or a sundress for me and for him well he will be in business casual because that is who he is :)

WHEN IN CARNIVAL AND OUTNUMBERED BY AT LEAST 100 to 1 regardless to "rules" there isn't much you can do about it. The dining room manager maitre de is responsible for enforcement of rules. I have over 30 Carnival cruises and agree with most of your observations but rather than complain I enjoy watching most of the short shorts saunter by and appreciate the ball caps because they tend to keep the little crawly things from dropping into the food. The crabcakes have always been BAD but have changed and gotten WORSE in the past year so I always order two then send them back sating they forgot the crab etc etc Only solution is to find a cruiseline that suits you and spend a couple hundred $$$$ a day more to be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile apyp

You actually said, 'Go to the buffet!'

These posts are for people to share their opinions. Please don't be angry at people because they have a different opinion than you. I don't like that Carnival permits shorts in the MDR either, regardless of their rules. But, it's not a big deal to me either. We dress every night for dinner because it's an event to us and simply not just to eat. Please let the poster express their thoughts without ridicule. Thank you.