Things to keep you sane while you wait for departure day.

Rebel54

Besides the obvious research, what extra things do you do when you get so close to departure that you are out of things to read?

Lots of great suggestions already. Hopefully, there are a few new ones here that might be helpful.

1. If your travel info doesn't include a map of your itinerary showing the stops, you might want to print out the map on the river cruise website, noting the ports in the order you will reach them.

2. Back up your cell phone and save photos to your computer so you have plenty of room to take photos with your phone on your cruise.

3. Install an app like Duolingo on your cell phone or iPad for studying French, German or whatever language you might need - if that is something you would enjoy doing.

4. If you plan to eat at a local restaurant (that might not have a menu in English), try to take something with you that will help identify the food on the menu.

5. If you are taking a camera with you, you may want to take more memory cards than you think you will need. It is probably easier (and cheaper) to buy them at home than to find a store that sells memory cards for your camera.

6. If you are into photography, take a look at photos others have taken in the places you are going. It might help you zero in on locations you want to visit during your time in port.

Not sure whether I would recommend this one or not, but in the months before our trip, I checked cruise critic frequently to find out about water levels, etc. (The rivers were very low around the time we were traveling.) I wanted to be mentally prepared for whatever might happen.

During our cruise, I wished I had spent a little more time researching the places we were visiting. I had looked up some of them but ran out of time. Now that I have taken a river cruise, I will have a better idea perhaps of what to research ahead of time.

Edited by Sapphire73

Great suggestions. Some I've already done, some not. I cleaned my phone off a couple weeks ago. I am taking a photo tour in Prague and I've been searching for old photos of Prague and Paris that I want to reproduce in current time.

It's getting SO close.

Lots of great suggestions already. Hopefully, there are a few new ones here that might be helpful.

1. If your travel info doesn't include a map of your itinerary showing the stops, you might want to print out the map on the river cruise website, noting the ports in the order you will reach them.

2. Back up your cell phone and save photos to your computer so you have plenty of room to take photos with your phone on your cruise.

3. Install an app like Duolingo on your cell phone or iPad for studying French, German or whatever language you might need - if that is something you would enjoy doing.

4. If you plan to eat at a local restaurant (that might not have a menu in English), try to take something with you that will help identify the food on the menu.

5. If you are taking a camera with you, you may want to take more memory cards than you think you will need. It is probably easier (and cheaper) to buy them at home than to find a store that sells memory cards for your camera.

6. If you are into photography, take a look at photos others have taken in the places you are going. It might help you zero in on locations you want to visit during your time in port.

Not sure whether I would recommend this one or not, but in the months before our trip, I checked cruise critic frequently to find out about water levels, etc. (The rivers were very low around the time we were traveling.) I wanted to be mentally prepared for whatever might happen.

During our cruise, I wished I had spent a little more time researching the places we were visiting. I had looked up some of them but ran out of time. Now that I have taken a river cruise, I will have a better idea perhaps of what to research ahead of time.

Great suggestions. Some I've already done, some not. I cleaned my phone off a couple weeks ago. I am taking a photo tour in Prague and I've been searching for old photos of Prague and Paris that I want to reproduce in current time.

It's getting SO close.

Looking forward to hearing about your photo tour in Prague and seeing some of your photos!

Edited by Sapphire73

Looking forward to hearing about your photo tour in Prague and seeing some of your photos!

Will definitely share. All photos will be posted in my SmugMug account and I'll link that here and on my blog. Blog addy is in my signature below.

I have a list/adress book of the people I want to send a picture postcard to from my travels. notamermaid

This reminded me about a photo card app that I had on my iPad once upon a time. I just checked and it is still available through iTunes. It is called "PhotoCard by Bill Atkinson." I used it to format digital postcards with one of my photos on the front and a message to the recipient. They also have an option (in the US, at least) to have the postcard printed and mailed for a fee. I sent these laminated postcards to my father as his memory faded so he could look at them whenever he wanted.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to give it a try. I am going to download it again and use it on our summer vacation.

This reminded me about a photo card app that I had on my iPad once upon a time. I just checked and it is still available through iTunes. It is called "PhotoCard by Bill Atkinson." I used it to format digital postcards with one of my photos on the front and a message to the recipient. They also have an option (in the US, at least) to have the postcard printed and mailed for a fee. I sent these laminated postcards to my father as his memory faded so he could look at them whenever he wanted.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to give it a try. I am going to download it again and use it on our summer vacation.

I had one on my phone at the time but haven't used it. I'll have to look at that. After finding some antique postcards on eBay I'm sort of fascinated with those. The history .. one day maybe my kids kids kids will look at them and remember me.

Plus, the way our world is going...who knows how much longer actual stamps will exist. Have to use them while I can.

Edited by Rebel54

I have been practicing my Czech a bit but it's not an easy language for me. I am good enough with German to read and understand and be polite. I was stationed in Germany for 3 years so that will pay off a bit. Now that I'm done with school (at least until we come back) I do plan to work on the language a bit more.

Wow! That's great that you are practicing your Czech!

Jpalbny mentioned Duolingo, and I would also recommend it to folks who want to learn another language - even just a bit. I have traveled to a lot of different places for relatively short visits, learning a bit of the local language. (Think Zulu, Twi in Ghana, Swahili, Swedish, Korean, Japanese, etc.) I used go online to make a list of key words (greetings, please and thank you, yes and no, delicious, good, etc.)

Last year I used Duolingo to brush up on my meager French before a trip to Burkina Faso and Cote d'Ivoire last summer, and it was very helpful. Duolingo also helped me learn a little Portuguese before traveling to Brazil.

I had one on my phone at the time but haven't used it. I'll have to look at that. After finding some antique postcards on eBay I'm sort of fascinated with those. The history .. one day maybe my kids kids kids will look at them and remember me.

Plus, the way our world is going...who knows how much longer actual stamps will exist. Have to use them while I can.

True.There is something nice about receiving a physical postcard with an exotic stamp. You could also bring back coins and bills for your kids kids kids as well.

Will definitely share. All photos will be posted in my SmugMug account and I'll link that here and on my blog. Blog addy is in my signature below.

Great that you will be sharing your photos. Thanks! Will take a look at your blog as you write about your upcoming adventures.

Edited by Sapphire73

True.There is something nice about receiving a physical postcard with an exotic stamp. You could also bring back coins and bills for your kids kids kids as well.

I have a cigar box full of money from around the world. I love looking at it now and then.

Great that you will be sharing your photos. Thanks! Will take a look at your blog as you write about your upcoming adventures.

I've already started posting about my planning process. I'm finishing up a college class this week and then I will have plenty of time to blog more.

I would suggest joining Facebook if you are not already using it. I have found it a great way to stay in touch with family and friends while away, sharing where you've been and where you currently are. Also easy for the kids to let us know if anything is going on that we need to know about, without running up long distance phone bills. Also, lets you post pictures of the sights you are seeing.

I would suggest joining Facebook if you are not already using it. I have found it a great way to stay in touch with family and friends while away, sharing where you've been and where you currently are. Also easy for the kids to let us know if anything is going on that we need to know about, without running up long distance phone bills. Also, lets you post pictures of the sights you are seeing.

Oh yes. It's how I keep track of my kids and my grand baby. In face, I got to see my grandson take his first steps today thanks to facebook video :).