Things to keep you sane while you wait for departure day.

Rebel54

Besides the obvious research, what extra things do you do when you get so close to departure that you are out of things to read?

Yesterday we watched Operation Daybreak, a movie from 1975, filmed in Prague. Plan to start laying out outfits and taking pictures so I remember what I want to pair things together with. Made a "pre-departure to-do list" to get the house ready for my house sitters/dog sitters and I've been working through it.

Got out the suitcases so I can start tossing in odds and ends that will go with us that I don't need between now and then.

This time next month, we will be on our way.

Start checking the weather forecasts for your destination.

Get all prescriptions filled. Make a list of all the cords and adapters and rechargers you might want to take with you. Break in that pair of shoes. And the old one....lay out all the clothes you want to bring....put half back in your closest and bring twice as much spending money!! :D

Rebel, you've only got a month to go, but how am I suppose to get through the next 5 1/2 months before we get to your neck of the ocean?

RB

I've got lists and more lists. I've had my carry on pretty much packed for months. Just adding things that I use daily. Shoes GTG, clothing planning in the works.

If you haven't seen Operation Daybreak it's based on a true story. My husband decided to watch London is Falling today. That was fun NOT!

Where to Ritabob?

Very cool. Make sure you wave when you leave the airport. I live right across the street! :) Let me know if you need any dining or site seeing recommendations while you are here!

I wish we went to the beach more but we work a lot and on weekends its time to get caught up on school work, house work and relaxation. I'm very ready for vacation and having someone else clean up after me :).

I have a list/adress book of the people I want to send a picture postcard to from my travels.

When my trip takes me to the British island I take a list of things I want to see, do and buy. Is there anything you have always wanted to taste or something you once saw in a shop ten years and want to find again now?

That is the sort of thing that can keep me occupied for hours along with looking up special events that I might be able to see while I am there.

By the way, Budweiser. The original place is Budweis, South of Prag. A two hour car journey will get you there. For the original place of what is in brewing in Germany called a "Pils" go to Pilzen, west of Prague. Interesting place.

Have fun planning and enjoy your travels.

notamermaid

Thanks for the great ideas. I usually make up labels for the people I want to send cards to. Don't usually send too many. I actually have a couple antique cards of Prague. I wonder if one day a card I send might end up being in an antique shop.

When I was stationed in Germany, I went to many of the breweries, including those. Everyone told me that I would love beer after being stationed there. I'm sad to say, I've never acquired the taste. Wine, that's a different story.

Reading is keeping me sane...it won't be long now!

Thank you again!

Reb

I have a list/adress book of the people I want to send a picture postcard to from my travels.

When my trip takes me to the British island I take a list of things I want to see, do and buy. Is there anything you have always wanted to taste or something you once saw in a shop ten years and want to find again now?

That is the sort of thing that can keep me occupied for hours along with looking up special events that I might be able to see while I am there.

By the way, Budweiser. The original place is Budweis, South of Prag. A two hour car journey will get you there. For the original place of what is in brewing in Germany called a "Pils" go to Pilzen, west of Prague. Interesting place.

Have fun planning and enjoy your travels.

notamermaid

My suggestion is that if you don't have a regular walking routine, get out and do some preparatory walking so that you are comfortable with all the walking in the airports and on the excursions. Make sure you have two pair of comfortable walking shoes so that you can rotate them. Because of all the walking I do n these trips, quite often I find that I will end up with a sore point on a toe so I need to switch shoes. I am surprised at how many people rely on flip flops. When you have to navigate cobblestone streets and sometimes dirty, dusty streets, flip flops, in my opinion, are not a good choice to protect your feet.

I like to bring comfortable ballet slippers to wear in the evening around the ship. The are restful for my feet and the don't take up much space in my luggage.

My suggestion is that if you don't have a regular walking routine, get out and do some preparatory walking so that you are comfortable with all the walking in the airports and on the excursions. Make sure you have two pair of comfortable walking shoes so that you can rotate them. Because of all the walking I do n these trips, quite often I find that I will end up with a sore point on a toe so I need to switch shoes. I am surprised at how many people rely on flip flops. When you have to navigate cobblestone streets and sometimes dirty, dusty streets, flip flops, in my opinion, are not a good choice to protect your feet.

I like to bring comfortable ballet slippers to wear in the evening around the ship. The are restful for my feet and the don't take up much space in my luggage.

Shebely,

I'm actually very active. I've lost 35 lbs for this trip. I do about 5 miles a day, both inside and out. I live in Hawaii so slippas are pretty common. I actually have a couple pairs of nice comfy sandals that I plan to wear as well as a couple other back up's if they get uncomfortable. I also have moleskin as well as this rub on second skin stuff to put on any potential rub areas. I hate blisters.

Besides the obvious research, what extra things do you do when you get so close to departure that you are out of things to read?

Yesterday we watched Operation Daybreak, a movie from 1975, filmed in Prague. Plan to start laying out outfits and taking pictures so I remember what I want to pair things together with. Made a "pre-departure to-do list" to get the house ready for my house sitters/dog sitters and I've been working through it.

Got out the suitcases so I can start tossing in odds and ends that will go with us that I don't need between now and then.

This time next month, we will be on our way.

Get in good physical shape if you have the time to do so. Consider International Medical Evacuation insurance if you don't have it already.

On a more pleasant note, go to You Tube, there's probably videos there for your exact cruise/ship and/or locations.

Don't

Get in good physical shape if you have the time to do so. Consider International Medical Evacuation insurance if you don't have it already.

On a more pleasant note, go to You Tube, there's probably videos there for your exact cruise/ship and/or locations.

Don't

:) 54 is the year of my Vette, not my age or year of birth :). I'm 48 and retired from Active duty Navy not TOO many years ago. I do workout daily and have recently lost a good deal of weight so I'm good in that area. I don't have the Medical Evac insurance but as a Military Family member I am covered by Tricare. I did make sure to get all the contact info for Overseas Tricare in all the countries we will be in. I also have contact info for the military section of the embassies in the Czech Republic, Germany and France.

I've been a YouTube fool. For some reason not much on Avalon Artistry II or this itinerary. :( It's sort of a bummer. I am watching videos on our stops as well as travel planning and surviving long haul flights.

Another one for US citizens. Register in the STEP program.

That is a good idea. I am already registered in STEP and track on it frequently due to my current job. I also have some great resources through my job that keep me apprised of areas of concern.

I get out my Rosetta Stone program and refresh my language skills for the countries I am visiting. I enjoying conversing in the local language whenever possible.

I make a list of books to load on my Kindle for the trip.

I also research new travel apps for my iphone that might be useful for my trip.

I get out my Rosetta Stone program and refresh my language skills for the countries I am visiting. I enjoying conversing in the local language whenever possible.

I make a list of books to load on my Kindle for the trip.

I also research new travel apps for my iphone that might be useful for my trip.

Great ideas. I downloaded the Game of Thrones series and looking forward to reading some of those on the way.

My favorite travel app is free and it is "Rome to Rio". I don't remember how I found out about it, but I use it a lot even when traveling in the US. It gives you specific options for different ways (walk, bus, plane, train) to travel between two cities or even addresses. Check out using "current location" in your search.

Rebel 54 thank you very much for your service and congrats on your weight loss.

Edited by Shebely

Rebecca......I know you are retired Military but are you now working

a "day job"? The reason I ask is.....well, I work and so the days pretty

much get taken up by that;)......

I am not a list person and have never been....I do know I have to

remember to always put my mail on hold:)

I am probably one of the few people left on earth who doesn't own a

smart phone or tablet so nothing for me to download. I bring regular

paperback books with me.

And of course.......have a wonderful time:D

Lois, you beat me to it.

The weeks leading up to our trips are almost always filled with extra on-call assignments for our jobs, so we are so busy that the time flies by. And since our usual ritual is to work a full week, run out of work on Friday afternoon, jump on a plane, and start vacation Saturday morning...there is very little down time to go stir crazy waiting. We're trying to keep our heads above water until vacation starts, and hoping that we'll have enough energy to make it!

We have gradually become overplanners (in that we organize way more possible activities in our destination than could ever be accomplished during our trip) so that takes up any moment of free time that we have in the weeks before we travel. Plus I spend way too much time playing on Cruise Critic... :rolleyes:

I like caviargal's suggestion for a foreign language refresher course in the weeks leading up to your trip. It really gets you in the mindset to travel. We use Duolingo, which is a free smartphone app. Lois R, maybe that's a reason to get one? ;) In all seriousness, it helped buff up my 30-year-old high school French to the point that I could actually converse some. Chris used it on her HS Spanish. And we both learned some German too. No Hungarian though...

I've seen the Rome2Rio app before but haven't used it. May have to try.

My favorite travel app is free and it is "Rome to Rio". I don't remember how I found out about it, but I use it a lot even when traveling in the US. It gives you specific options for different ways (walk, bus, plane, train) to travel between two cities or even addresses. Check out using "current location" in your search.

Rebel 54 thank you very much for your service and congrats on your weight loss.

I will have to look into that. I really need to clean up my phone and get rid of some useless stuff. Thank you for the "Thank you." It was my honor and I'm very glad I did it.

Rebecca......I know you are retired Military but are you now working

a "day job"? The reason I ask is.....well, I work and so the days pretty

much get taken up by that;)......

I am not a list person and have never been....I do know I have to

remember to always put my mail on hold:)

I am probably one of the few people left on earth who doesn't own a

smart phone or tablet so nothing for me to download. I bring regular

paperback books with me.

And of course.......have a wonderful time:D

Yes, I have a day job. Find it hard to stay focused right now but it does fill my day. I just finished up a college class as well so now I have MORE free time.

Man...not even a Kindle? I love that I don't have to carry books. Everything I need is on my iPad. Really awesome for school. No more heavy text books.

Lois, you beat me to it.

The weeks leading up to our trips are almost always filled with extra on-call assignments for our jobs, so we are so busy that the time flies by. And since our usual ritual is to work a full week, run out of work on Friday afternoon, jump on a plane, and start vacation Saturday morning...there is very little down time to go stir crazy waiting. We're trying to keep our heads above water until vacation starts, and hoping that we'll have enough energy to make it!

We have gradually become overplanners (in that we organize way more possible activities in our destination than could ever be accomplished during our trip) so that takes up any moment of free time that we have in the weeks before we travel. Plus I spend way too much time playing on Cruise Critic... :rolleyes:

I like caviargal's suggestion for a foreign language refresher course in the weeks leading up to your trip. It really gets you in the mindset to travel. We use Duolingo, which is a free smartphone app. Lois R, maybe that's a reason to get one? ;) In all seriousness, it helped buff up my 30-year-old high school French to the point that I could actually converse some. Chris used it on her HS Spanish. And we both learned some German too. No Hungarian though...

I've seen the Rome2Rio app before but haven't used it. May have to try.

I have been practicing my Czech a bit but it's not an easy language for me. I am good enough with German to read and understand and be polite. I was stationed in Germany for 3 years so that will pay off a bit. Now that I'm done with school (at least until we come back) I do plan to work on the language a bit more.

The weeks leading up to our trips are almost always filled with extra on-call assignments for our jobs, so we are so busy that the time flies by.

This is so true! Work keeps me busy every day, but the days right before a trip seem to even crazier than usual. :)

I will have to look into that. I really need to clean up my phone and get rid of some useless stuff. Thank you for the "Thank you." It was my honor and I'm very glad I did it.

Yes, I have a day job. Find it hard to stay focused right now but it does fill my day. I just finished up a college class as well so now I have MORE free time.

Man...not even a Kindle? I love that I don't have to carry books. Everything I need is on my iPad. Really awesome for school. No more heavy text books.

No, not even a Kindle. I like how the pages feel.....and to be honest,

my flip phone is cheap and does what I need so I have not gone out

to price smart phones but my monthly payment would probably triple.

Guess I am just old.....or old school:rolleyes: or afraid to try it...or....

well, you get the idea. I have an old flip phone and so that is what I use.

Quote:

"I like caviargal's suggestion for a foreign language refresher course in the weeks leading up to your trip. It really gets you in the mindset to travel. We use Duolingo, which is a free smartphone app. Lois R, maybe that's a reason to get one?"

Not really.......every time I think of going to Best Buy to talk to them

about smartphones? Well, I just don't end up doing it. Maybe I am just

too chicken to try it....maybe my old flip phone is fine..who knows.......

I know a smartphone does all kinds of things but I just never make the

move.

No, not even a Kindle. I like how the pages feel.....and to be honest,

my flip phone is cheap and does what I need so I have not gone out

to price smart phones but my monthly payment would probably triple.

Guess I am just old.....or old school:rolleyes: or afraid to try it...or....

well, you get the idea. I have an old flip phone and so that is what I use.

My aunt is the same way. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just like being able to have many choices of magazines and books so the iPad has been awesome for me.