First time in Montego Bay

LJH0727

First time stopping in Montego Bay. Have heard the shore excursions to see Dunns Falls are crowded and rushed. Thinking about staying near port that day. What things are close to the port? Beaches? Traveling with teenage girls so shopping is a must! Any input would be appreciated!

We did an independent "tour" of MoBay and found out that future cruises that port there will be a "stay on the ship" day for us! If you decide to go it alone, be wary of your surroundings and be sure you know exactly what you are getting in terms of taxis (set the fare before you get into a cab!) and where you want to go. We are not newbies when it comes to exploring ports on our own and prefer this to organized tours. So, having said that, MoBay is not a place where we particularly felt uncomfortable, but we just did not get a warm, safe feeling while walking around there. I don't recall there being very much right at or very near the port. Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise!

Our tour guide walked us from the drop off point to the gift shop and told us NOT to leave without her there.

I've been scarier places but everyone did offer to sell marijuana. Like EVERYONE. But the person working at the gift shop and the tour guide. EVERYONE else.

We have been to many land vacations in Jamaica and have never felt threatened. There are areas of Los Angeles that are more threatening then Jamaica to me. Granted we avoid Kingston and usually stay and play in Negril, but have spent time in Mobay as well.:)