Escape/St Thomas - Abi beach by Taxi?

VideoTech

Good morning, fellow CC'ers.

I asked this question over on the St. Thomas board, but so far only one response. So I thought I'd give it a wider audience here:

We're planning an "on our own" beach trip in St. Thomas next week off the Escape. We had settled on Abi Beach, but I notice that most people get there by excursion boat, and there's dirt road running down to the beach area from the main road.

My question is: Will taxis take you to Abi Beach, including down the dirt road to the beach area?

Any info on this appreciated!

Good morning, fellow CC'ers.

I asked this question over on the St. Thomas board, but so far only one response. So I thought I'd give it a wider audience here:

We're planning an "on our own" beach trip in St. Thomas next week off the Escape. We had settled on Abi Beach, but I notice that most people get there by excursion boat, and there's dirt road running down to the beach area from the main road.

My question is: Will taxis take you to Abi Beach, including down the dirt road to the beach area?

Any info on this appreciated!

We went to Abi Beach after a snorkeling excursion with the cruise ship. It has a nice chill vibe and plenty of lounge chairs however it looked quite difficult to get to and did not have the nicest sand in fact i would say the "sand" was more crushed shells and definitely hurt my feet to walk on. If you wanted a place with food and and fun beach games then maybe this is the spot for you but i would say there has to be better beaches there. Also im sure the guy at the bar would call you a taxi if you needed it.

• 2 months later...

This is one I'd do through the ship. As others have said, Abi is quite remote. Check the St Thomas board, though. Blue_water may have some alternate advice for you. He appears to be the resident BVI/VI expert.

I've never been to Abi but when we were in St Thomas we LOVED Megan's Bay!!! Took a taxi with several waiting to take you back.

What did the taxi cost? Do you remember? I'm thinking about doing this exact thing on our Gem cruise in January.

If you are looking for a beautiful white sandy beach (like the Gulf Coast of Alabama or Fla), this is NOT the beach. It has brown, coarse, not so clean, sand. In fact when we were there, someone almost stepped on a sharp worker's tool on the beach. It is not a long beach so there is not much strolling along the beach. I, along with others, wrote truthful reviews of this beach when we were there and NCL didn't print them. The pirate ship excursion was fun but not the beach.

If you want a GORGEOUS beach, take the ferry to St. Johns....there is no better beach anywhere, I swear! It does take some time to get there and back, but it's so worth it! This is one of the times a ship's excursion makes life easier!