After EZ Air has been ticketed.

hpeabody

Totally makes sense, Larry. Thanks!

But I still stand by the idea of arriving early enough to make the earlier flight if necessary. I'd rather jump to the earlier flight than wait for the later one and have a rushed connection at the big airport. :)

I get what Larry is saying. The airlines build schedules based on previous years load factor. If they know Jan to be a somewhat slow month and you are on 737; but next January already shows the flight overbooked; the airline may move it to a bigger acft; say a 757.

I work for an airline and have a hand in the schedule development process. Flights are available for sale well in advance of the schedule being finalized. Typically for my carrier, the schedule is not final (for some definition of final - things can still change) until two to three months before. Prior to that, it's a future schedule that will change somewhat.

Some airlines are better than others to keeping to published schedules.

Southwest hardly ever changes flight numbers or flight times on their released schedule (which admittedly not issued as far in advance as most other airlines).

When USAirways existed, you could almost guarantee the flight numbers and the times would be changed and often by more than by a few minutes.

I had one flight on Jet Blue where an 11 AM flight became a 8 AM flight months after booking it..