Montego Bay port

mom22boys

The only time I was there was when we got married on the Conquest in 2003 and from what I remember there wasn't a beach right there. It was a real hole if you know what I mean. There were barbed wire fences and an old rundown market with the standard shops with junk in it. I couldn't wait to get back on the ship.

Of course things may have changed by now, but with that first impression, I made sure never to go back there.

We took a taxi to Doctor's Cave Beach when we were there last August. It wasn't that far. If I remember correctly, we could see our ship from there. That was our "lazy beach day" port on that cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Beaches are great around MoBay but you have to go to a resort to enjoy them. If you want economical, take the JUTA shuttle over to the Hip Strip (just go to the front of the terminal and they will be waiting to take you) and it is around $5 pp. Tell them to take you to Doctor's Cave Beach and then pay around $5 to get in. Awesome place to hang out and enjoy that beautiful beach. They have a restaurant and bar -- with servers that come out to you on the beach.

If you want a resort-resort (AI), then you have Secrets (Adults Only) and you have Sunscape right next door.

http://www.resortforaday.com/Jamaica-Day-Passes-s/1818.htm

Edited by BrotherCraig

Can you just walk to the beach to swim at the port or do you have to go to resort? Just wanting to chill at this stop.

When I went, we had to get a taxi to get to the closest beach which was doctors cove. It was nice but there was a lot of rampant selling. I got tired of saying no and dizzy from the "smoke"

When I went, we had to get a taxi to get to the closest beach which was doctors cove. It was nice but there was a lot of rampant selling. I got tired of saying no and dizzy from the "smoke"

Just there last month and quite a few locals offered us all kinds of illegal stuff.

Nice beach though

Our one and only trip to Montego Bay was similiar to what everyone here is telling you. The port is nothing to write home about. The port terminal building is some what modern with the usual shops. To get anywhere you will require transportation. Doctors Cove is located in what I would say downtown. You will encounter very obnoctious people trying to sell you anything including drugs.You will be approached right in the middle of the street. We spent a couple of hours at Margarettaville ( down the street from Doctors Cove ) having lunch and a few drinks on the deck overlooking the bay, nice view. If we ever go back it will be spent on board the ship for the day.

We visited in January aboard the Dream. Whoever said the terminal was modern, they must have rebuilt it since January when it was a dump. We were so unimpressed, probably going to stay on board and relax. Why would you pay for an A.I when you are already paid for a A.I., the ship