Door signs

Jarvijt

the people who just plane out rudely posting these negative comments all put something up on their Home doors, don't let them fool you at all.:D

Sorry, nope. I don't. I don't decorate for holidays either. I have better - and more fun - things to do than waste time putting stuff up and taking it down. Especially when 9 times out of 10 I'm not even at my apartment for holidays.

Geez! That was nasty. Nasty on your part.

First, people don't put up door signs in hotels because hotels are not a closed environment. Ships are. There is no (at least not that I know of) Hotel Critic website or forum. There are no Roll Calls for hotels. There are for cruises.

People complain that X is "going" down market? I have seen door signs since my first X cruise on Infinity in 2004 so not sure it's "going" down market. The thump thump music in every bar is a more a sign of that.

And why would you think a Cruise Critic door sign would mean "I'm on Cruise Critic so I'm special and if you don't take great care of me, I'll write about it online". I have put a door sign on my door once or twice when I was sailing with a huge or particularly active roll call. I did not use the Cruise Critic door tag but created one that mentioned I was sailing with an awesome group that I had met on a Cruise Critic roll call with the hopes that others who have never heard of Cruise Critic would join and try it in hopes of helping them make their cruise vacations as special as belonging to Cruise Critic has done mine.

Do you seriously think that anyone who is a CC poster considers themselves an actual "Critic" and would ever even think that people should treat them differently because they are. I am guessing that's the way you think? Sad.

smalllike_zps00484b5c.jpg

Although Hubs and I have never decorated our door I LOVE seeing other decorated doors. Always makes me smile. You can feel their joy and happiness of being on a fun vacation displayed by those cruisers. I say more power to them. It's harmless fun. I doubt Hubs and I ever will do our door, he is easily embarassed and does not like to draw attention to himself... but if I was cruising with a group of friends? Ya, I might join in! :D

No more nasty than your reply.

Thank you.

Yes, I seriously think that there are some posters on CC that consider themselves an actual "Critic" and would ever even think that people should treat them differently because they are. Fire away for expressing my opinion like you have expressed yours.

Yes I also seriously think that and have seen plenty of evidence over the years, including (on my most recent cruise) a woman loudly yelling to a poor Guest Services staff member that if she couldn't see the Hotel Director immediately she would post her complaints "all over Cruise Critic". I've also had table mates threatening a poor waiter in a similar manner for perceived poor service. I realize that these are exceptions, but it's people like this that love Cruise Critic name badges and door signs for the importance they feel it gives them. And in my opinion - THAT IS SAD, not me objecting to it.

Anyway, each his/her opinion. I appreciate that some might think door signs are fun but I think they're tacky and a sign of X going down market and attracting the Carnival and Disney clientele. Another reason for me to cruise Seabourn and Silver Sea more going forward.

Edited by florisdekort

Gauche, tacky, juvenile, attention seeking .... :p What is it to you? Move on, don't look. The fact that this bothers you so much says much more about YOU than it does about door decorators.

Do I mock those who spend a good part of their cruise playing trivia for a ship on a stick - no, not my thing but whatever floats your boat. Or those that have to be front and center out ballroom dancing in the atrium - go for it or those sucking up to the officers every chance they get. It is everyone's vacation and we all have those things that make it special to us.

Live and let live!

Edited by Jane2357

Gauche, tacky, juvenile, attention seeking .... :p What is it to you? Move on, don't look. The fact that this bothers you so much says much more about YOU than it does about door decorators.

Do I mock those who spend a good part of their cruise playing trivia for a ship on a stick - no, not my thing but whatever floats your boat. Or those that have to be front and center out ballroom dancing in the atrium - go for it or those sucking up to the officers every chance they get. It is everyone's vacation and we all have those things that make it special to us.

Live and let live!

Well said. Thank you.

Edited by BellKat

Sorry, nope. I don't. I don't decorate for holidays either. I have better - and more fun - things to do than waste time putting stuff up and taking it down. Especially when 9 times out of 10 I'm not even at my apartment for holidays.

and you waste no time posting Lol

to be on a cruise is whatever you make of it, to do not a thing, to do it all.

Like said the TA did the decoration. how people go out of their way... enough said

Edited by gopro63

Well. I have enjoyed reading all your posts. I doubt we would ever put up a door sign. I just don't think I can be bothered. However I am looking forward to seeing some on celebrity in August. I'll be gutted if there aren't any about!!

Happy cruising everyone. Remember it's your hard earned vacation. Do what you want - as long as it's legal!!

For those who want to decorate their door the doors are metal so one can use magnetic signs which are removable and reusable.

The reason why we have a sign on our door is because a few cruises back I went to my cabin and the key card wouldn't work, so I went to Guest relations and got it changed.

When I returned to my cabin I found out I had been trying to get into the wrong cabin earlier hence the keycard issue.

Easily done as som many rooms in a long corridor look the same