Access to Studio Lounge for Non Studio Non Solo Traveler

My Wife and I are going to be taking a cruise on the Breakaway with our daughter and my mother in November. My mother previously cruised on the Epic in a Studio and liked the experience, especially all the singles activities and getting to meet with and hang out with other solo travellers. Her plan was to book a studio again this time as well. We're planning on booking a haven suite and would hate to have a situation where we can't really enjoy a lot of the suite benefits because she can't dine in the haven restaurant with us, etc, so we are planning on possibly booking one of the larger suites that can accomodate three adults and one child and having her stay with us. However she is concerned about then not having access to any of the "singles" activities that are planned and coordinated in the studio lounge for times when she is not hanging out with us. I know that singles who are staying in a non-studio room are allowed in the studio lounge for one hour a day during these planning times, what about someone who is not really a single because she is technically staying in our suite with us? Any chance she would be allowed into the lounge during that time so she can partake in the singles activities? Thanks in advance if anyone has ever experienced this.

She can go to every evening's solo gathering, the lounge door will be propped open for this. However, I've noticed that several people have stated that on the "Away" ships the group has been meeting in one of the bars and not in the Living Room. Make sure she's at the first meeting so that she can know who the solo co-ordinator is and get information from them if she misses the group meet up.

I was in a studio cabin on the Getaway at the end of May and Sauer-kraut is correct about the meets being at one of the bars (Sunset Bar) instead of in the studio lounge. I've read that the lounge on the Epic is a good size but the one on this ship (Sister ship to the Breakaway) felt small and would not take much to fill up. The area in front of Sunset bar was much more comfortable for a meet though a bit harder to find at first. (inside joke you'll get if you've seen my review)

Anyone is welcome to the solo meets weather they are staying alone or with a group. You can even show up with your cabin mates and not be turned away. I missed several of the meetings and don't know if they ever talked about doing any thing other than eating together but that is all I saw organized... Meet at 6 then dinner afterward (the host made reservations at different places threw out the trip) I often ran into the solo group out together late at night dancing up on aft deck (Spice H20)

May I suggest looking at some of the dailies posted from the Breakaway and see if the solo meets are listed in the lounge or at one of the bars. In either case anyone is welcome to join them (doors left open to lounge during meet)

Are you sure she can't dine with you in the Haven restaurants as your guest? I mean have you actually looked at the rules, I don't know what the policies are but it wouldn't surprise me if a family member staying elsware would be allowed to join for dinner and poolside. May be worth looking into...

Edited by Agentwho

When staying in the Haven, I've heard that you can invite a guest to dine with you up to 2 times per trip. And you are charged $25 each time for the meal.

I've also heard that if not staying in a studio and are solo, you can get your card keyed to have access to the studio lounge.

And yes, if your mom wants to go off and be a solo, more power to her!

Carrie

My Wife and I are going to be taking a cruise on the Breakaway with our daughter and my mother in November. My mother previously cruised on the Epic in a Studio and liked the experience, especially all the singles activities and getting to meet with and hang out with other solo travellers. Her plan was to book a studio again this time as well. We're planning on booking a haven suite and would hate to have a situation where we can't really enjoy a lot of the suite benefits because she can't dine in the haven restaurant with us, etc, so we are planning on possibly booking one of the larger suites that can accomodate three adults and one child and having her stay with us. However she is concerned about then not having access to any of the "singles" activities that are planned and coordinated in the studio lounge for times when she is not hanging out with us. I know that singles who are staying in a non-studio room are allowed in the studio lounge for one hour a day during these planning times, what about someone who is not really a single because she is technically staying in our suite with us? Any chance she would be allowed into the lounge during that time so she can partake in the singles activities? Thanks in advance if anyone has ever experienced this.

FWIW...The studios and the lounge are for "solos", not "singles". There are always people who are either married or in relationships participating...it is just that they are traveling "solo"...not that they are "single".

FWIW...The studios and the lounge are for "solos", not "singles". There are always people who are either married or in relationships participating...it is just that they are traveling "solo"...not that they are "single".

This is a good clarification. On the first night of my February Breakaway cruise we had a number of people show up as they thought it was a singles event. One woman decided she was going to be the center of attention and made a complete ass of herself. When they were passing around sign-ups for solo events she was yelling out about whether she could sign up her cabin mates - her sister & daughter. I never saw her again after that first night.

I was in a studio cabin on the Getaway at the end of May and Sauer-kraut is correct about the meets being at one of the bars (Sunset Bar) instead of in the studio lounge. I've read that the lounge on the Epic is a good size but the one on this ship (Sister ship to the Breakaway) felt small and would not take much to fill up. The area in front of Sunset bar was much more comfortable for a meet though a bit harder to find at first. (inside joke you'll get if you've seen my review)

Anyone is welcome to the solo meets weather they are staying alone or with a group. You can even show up with your cabin mates and not be turned away. I missed several of the meetings and don't know if they ever talked about doing any thing other than eating together but that is all I saw organized... Meet at 6 then dinner afterward (the host made reservations at different places threw out the trip) I often ran into the solo group out together late at night dancing up on aft deck (Spice H20)

May I suggest looking at some of the dailies posted from the Breakaway and see if the solo meets are listed in the lounge or at one of the bars. In either case anyone is welcome to join them (doors left open to lounge during meet)

Are you sure she can't dine with you in the Haven restaurants as your guest? I mean have you actually looked at the rules, I don't know what the policies are but it wouldn't surprise me if a family member staying elsware would be allowed to join for dinner and poolside. May be worth looking into...

There is a recent thread that states the guest fee for Haven dinner is now $35. And another that it no longer allowed.

You cannot purchase access to the haven poolside for guests. Only haven guests are entitled.

If you want the Haven experience, book the Haven.

If mom wants the Studios experience, book a Studio.

You can invite her to your Haven stateroom no problem, just not the courtyard. She can join you in the Haven Restaurant for an upcharge. You probably wouldn't want to eat there more than twice anyway.

If you want a fun place where everyone can meet, go early and get Vibe passes for everyone.

I think you're worrying about things that simple won't manifest.

I respectfully disagree with "Boatseller". As someone who frequently travels solo and has traveled on ships equipped with Studios and the Studio Lounge, I have never been denied access despite the fact that I never booked a Studio.

I have traveled in a Haven Suite and one time in a Balcony, but still wanted the "Studio Lounge" experience because I was solo....

The Concierge in the Haven will see to it that her card is programmed to allow Studio Lounge access whenever she wants......

I don't think she should have to give up that experience that she enjoyed and if she is not in the Haven she can't hang out in the Haven which is amazing and she will have limited access to Haven Restaurant.....or possibly none depending on whether the information posted here is correct.

You will effectively have no family hang out time because Haven guests will not want to hang out in the non-Haven locations....it will ruin your vacation to be split up.

If you pay all that money for Haven you will want to be in the Haven, Haven lounge, Haven Restaurant....and where would that leave your mother in law...scratching at the locked Haven door...

Good luck with whatever you chose.

There's nothing to disagree with, Mom liked the Studios experience and wanted to do it again, great. Fido and Wife want the Haven, great. No reason crowd into a single stateroom, everyone can still get the experience they want without really giving up anything.

Now, if Mom doesn't want the actual Studio stateroom, that's another thing altogether. This is assuming Mom would prefer her own stateroom anyway.

I'm thinking you should book the Haven Two Bedroom Suite. There is plenty of room for four people. As was stated previously, Mom can be given access to the Studio Lounge and also join the solo travelers for any events outside of the lounge. She will be able to spend time with you guys in The Haven courtyard, sun deck, lounge, and Haven Restaurant whenever she pleases and still be able to ditch you all to meet up with new friends [emoji6]. She'll have the best of both worlds. Purchasing Vibe passes when you've paid thousands of dollars for a suite that gives you access to private areas to relax seems to defeat the purpose. Not to mention there's no guarantee that passes would still be available when you board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it will be easier for Mom to be booked in a 2 bedroom Haven suite with you. Then try to figure out how she can attend the solo activities.

There are so many nice Haven perks she'd miss out on if she's not booked with you. You won't want to be seperated from her for things like, the courtyard and upper sun deck, early on/off privileges, special lines and seating for shows, the Haven lounge, the Haven restaurant.

I think being a Haven guest, the concierge can easily hook her up with the solo coordinators.

Edited by Vyhanek

I was a solo on the getaway in 2014 and in a studio. They never met in the lounge there was a message on the white board every day saying where to meet, always the same bar same time. But there was a couple of ladies that were upgraded to different rooms but still solo. They were given access to the lounge and did all the activities with the rest of the solo peeps.

Isn't there a bar in the solo lounge on the Getaway? I thought that was kinda the whole point of that. Does it just go un-used then?

that part made me mad. lol There was only ever a bartender there for a few hours a day, usually between 4:30 and 6:30. I only ever used to grab a drink on the way out of my room to somewhere else before dinner. The whole lounge was pretty lame. they did have free juice, water and coffee in there and cookies.

that part made me mad. lol There was only ever a bartender there for a few hours a day, usually between 4:30 and 6:30. I only ever used to grab a drink on the way out of my room to somewhere else before dinner. The whole lounge was pretty lame. they did have free juice, water and coffee in there and cookies.

Yeah, that seems backwards from how it was on the Escape. The solo meet was in a bar just for the first day, and then in the lounge every day after that. There was no bar in the lounge so I would "grab one for the road" at Vibe before heading down.

It sounds like on the Getaway, the meets are never in the lounge, so you'd basically be skipping the daily meet just to go to the bar in the lounge. :confused: