Hobbiton evening tour, Waitomo Caves, Rotorua

Our ship has an overnight in Tauranga, over a Sunday and Monday next January. I am trying to develop an itinerary for my husband and I. He loves LOTR, and we've found that Hobbiton does an evening tour and Hobbit feast on Sunday nights. It goes from 6:15pm to about 10:15pm. I was thinking we could do the Waitomo glowworm caves during the day and Hobbiton at night, then Rotorua the following day. But because that first day goes so late, I'm not sure about the transportation. We're trying to fit in these three activities as economically as possible. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? In a perfect world, we could do a big bus tour, but unfortunately I'm not seeing any that do Hobbiton at night. I haven't seen any tours that do it that way at all, even private ones (don't want to spend that much anyway). I guess we could rent a car, but that just makes me nervous - possibly getting lost, driving on the opposite side that we're used to, unknown road conditions, etc. Thoughts?

Our ship has an overnight in Tauranga, over a Sunday and Monday next January. I am trying to develop an itinerary for my husband and I. He loves LOTR, and we've found that Hobbiton does an evening tour and Hobbit feast on Sunday nights. It goes from 6:15pm to about 10:15pm. I was thinking we could do the Waitomo glowworm caves during the day and Hobbiton at night, then Rotorua the following day. But because that first day goes so late, I'm not sure about the transportation. We're trying to fit in these three activities as economically as possible. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? In a perfect world, we could do a big bus tour, but unfortunately I'm not seeing any that do Hobbiton at night. I haven't seen any tours that do it that way at all, even private ones (don't want to spend that much anyway). I guess we could rent a car, but that just makes me nervous - possibly getting lost, driving on the opposite side that we're used to, unknown road conditions, etc. Thoughts?

That is quite a busy itinerary, have you checked on the roll call, perhaps there are some others that are similarly minded and can help share the costs if going private.

I understand the concern with driving. I rented a car in Tauranga and spent the day in Rotorua. Leave plenty of time for the drive back to the ship as we got a bit panicked in heavy traffic but still made it in plenty of time.

I found driving in NZ to be very easy. The country is well signed and attracts many "self-drive" tourists but I was driving on the right (ie. correct) side of the road so it was easier for me :D. I'm sure an NZ local will chime in with some better advice about timelines and travel methods :).

The only way you're going to be able to do this itinerary is by car, especially if you want to go to Waitomo. I'd also consider staying overnight in or near Hobbiton / Matamata rather than driving back to the ship late at night. Matamata is about the same distance from Rotorua as Tauranga so your second day of sightseeing would be about the same.

The roads in that area are reasonably good but they are not freeways.

Hobbiton is absolutely brilliant, we went there last Christmas. I'm sure you'll love the visit there.

I understand the concern with driving. I rented a car in Tauranga and spent the day in Rotorua. Leave plenty of time for the drive back to the ship as we got a bit panicked in heavy traffic but still made it in plenty of time.

I found driving in NZ to be very easy. The country is well signed and attracts many "self-drive" tourists but I was driving on the right (ie. correct) side of the road so it was easier for me :D. I'm sure an NZ local will chime in with some better advice about timelines and travel methods :).

Please don't confuse them, the correct side is the left side of the road. :p

Edited by MicCanberra

Please don't confuse them, the correct side is the left side of the road. :p

Yes, left is correct. I meant that I was driving on the right (as in correct not as in right hand side). Soooo confusing!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Yes, left is correct. I meant that I was driving on the right (as in correct not as in right hand side). Soooo confusing!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

LOl, I think they would be better getting a driver /tour as then they won't have to worry about it and can just relax and enjoy the scenery.

LOl, I think they would be better getting a driver /tour as then they won't have to worry about it and can just relax and enjoy the scenery.

Exactly...one look away by the driver to see the view and ...kapow...its happening too often on our roads these days,

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you are driving on country roads at night, there will be no street lighting...only reflective markers which could easily confuse you as to which side of the road you are on.

The biggest problem with a self drive to Hobbiton would be the return after during the dark. The roads are very narrow around Hobbiton and not marked very well with signage. Have you thought of staying overnight in Rotorua? It would save alot of driving time and would give you more time to tour the area. We loved our time touring Hobbiton, and spent 3 days in Rotorua. It's a wonderful place to visit and there are so many different things to see and do.

The biggest problem with a self drive to Hobbiton would be the return after during the dark. The roads are very narrow around Hobbiton and not marked very well with signage. Have you thought of staying overnight in Rotorua? It would save alot of driving time and would give you more time to tour the area. We loved our time touring Hobbiton, and spent 3 days in Rotorua. It's a wonderful place to visit and there are so many different things to see and do.

Rotorua is an hour's drive from Hobbiton, the same as back to the ship. It would be far more sensible to stay in Matamata. In fact, from Hobbiton it is very easy to get back to Matamata.

Rotorua is an hour's drive from Hobbiton, the same as back to the ship. It would be far more sensible to stay in Matamata. In fact, from Hobbiton it is very easy to get back to Matamata.

That would be most sensible if self touring/driving.

Certainly recommend that you try to share a rental car with others that are used to driving on the left hand side of the road - and get them to drive at night. Also an overnight at Matamata would make your busy itinerary less stressful.

Whatever you do, don't miss Hobbiton, its guaranteed to please even during the day.

That is quite a busy itinerary, have you checked on the roll call, perhaps there are some others that are similarly minded and can help share the costs if going private.

Is it really that busy? With the evening Hobbiton tour not starting until 6:15pm and only one other location to go before that, I was thinking we'd have extra time. Is that not realistic?

Yes, I've posted it to my roll call as well. No takers quite yet, but it was only yesterday that I posed.

Thank you! Do they get heavy traffic around that area, then? I guess I picture NZ so desolate on the roads, but I'm not sure why I started thinking that.

The only way you're going to be able to do this itinerary is by car, especially if you want to go to Waitomo. I'd also consider staying overnight in or near Hobbiton / Matamata rather than driving back to the ship late at night. Matamata is about the same distance from Rotorua as Tauranga so your second day of sightseeing would be about the same.

The roads in that area are reasonably good but they are not freeways.

Hobbiton is absolutely brilliant, we went there last Christmas. I'm sure you'll love the visit there.

Thanks for your advice! I was thinking going back to the ship would save us the money of an overnight stay. But now I wonder if the gas cost would offset that anyway. Hmm..

Having a driver would be really nice. I would have to see if any of them would stay out with us that late, though. It's going to be a long day.

Exactly...one look away by the driver to see the view and ...kapow...its happening too often on our roads these days,

The other thing to bear in mind is that if you are driving on country roads at night, there will be no street lighting...only reflective markers which could easily confuse you as to which side of the road you are on.

That sounds scary!! Driving always makes me nervous, both for safety and for getting lost. Luckily my husband loves and is good at driving. But I'd still rather we not have to do it ourselves if there's any way around it.

No, I hadn't thought of staying overnight somewhere. I think I will look into the prices around the area. Thanks!

Certainly recommend that you try to share a rental car with others that are used to driving on the left hand side of the road - and get them to drive at night. Also an overnight at Matamata would make your busy itinerary less stressful.

Whatever you do, don't miss Hobbiton, its guaranteed to please even during the day.

Sounds good. I think you're probably right on all those points.

Definitely get to Hobbiton, as it was the highlight of our visit to New Zealand. I was not into LOTR, but watched all 3 movies, then all 3 Hobbit movies before we visited. I want to go back to see other places we didn't get to on our first visit. The North Island is such a unique lay of land, and quite different from the South Island. I'm sure you will enjoy your visit with whatever you end up doing. Matamata is a really cute little town and not far from Hobbiton. I think an overnight stay there would work out great timewise, and give you more time to sight see, even if it adds costs to your visit. Definitely worth the extra $$$, as you may never get to that beautiful part of the World again.

Is it really that busy? With the evening Hobbiton tour not starting until 6:15pm and only one other location to go before that, I was thinking we'd have extra time. Is that not realistic?

Yes, I've posted it to my roll call as well. No takers quite yet, but it was only yesterday that I posed.

It is more getting back to the ship after the tour and then heading back out in the morning for another full day. Of course, it may be quite easy for some but not so much for others. I would prefer not to be stressed on holidays but everyone has differing wants and needs. Time wise it is doable, just not sure I would want to be driving in a foreign country (opposite side of road) at night on country roads. I hope you get some takers.:D

You should have plenty of time, even allowing for delays.

Let's assume you get off the ship at 9am.

First you have to pick up your rental car. You may have to go to the airport (fairly close) to pick it up. Allow 30 minutes minimum so it will be 9:30am before you start driving.

Allow 2.5 hours to drive to Waitomo Caves, more if you want to stop for a coffee and comfort break along the way. That means you'll arrive at Waitomo around 12 noon.

I'm not sure if you'll need to book your caves tour in advance. If so it would be wise to book a 1pm or 1:30pm tour. That will allow you some time to have lunch before the tour and will also cover you if there are any travel delays. The basic tour takes 45 minutes but allow an hour, just in case. So you should be finished by 2:30pm.

Allow 1.5 hours to get back to Hobbiton, so you should arrive there by 4pm. If you do decide to stay in Matamata it would be smart to check in to your accommodation before you go to Hobbiton. It's only 10 minutes or so drive between Hobbiton and Matamata. That way you can have a short rest before the Hobbiton tour. You will need to be at the Hobbiton start point, The Shires Rest, 15 minutes before the tour starts.

It is more getting back to the ship after the tour and then heading back out in the morning for another full day. Of course, it may be quite easy for some but not so much for others. I would prefer not to be stressed on holidays but everyone has differing wants and needs. Time wise it is doable, just not sure I would want to be driving in a foreign country (opposite side of road) at night on country roads. I hope you get some takers.:D

I see what you're saying. My husband and I are 27, and we just did a full week in New York City of non-stop running around, so we aren't too concerned about that type of thing. However, driving unfamiliar roads, and like you said, at night... is what I'm not looking forward to.

You should have plenty of time, even allowing for delays.

Let's assume you get off the ship at 9am.

First you have to pick up your rental car. You may have to go to the airport (fairly close) to pick it up. Allow 30 minutes minimum so it will be 9:30am before you start driving.

Allow 2.5 hours to drive to Waitomo Caves, more if you want to stop for a coffee and comfort break along the way. That means you'll arrive at Waitomo around 12 noon.

I'm not sure if you'll need to book your caves tour in advance. If so it would be wise to book a 1pm or 1:30pm tour. That will allow you some time to have lunch before the tour and will also cover you if there are any travel delays. The basic tour takes 45 minutes but allow an hour, just in case. So you should be finished by 2:30pm.

Allow 1.5 hours to get back to Hobbiton, so you should arrive there by 4pm. If you do decide to stay in Matamata it would be smart to check in to your accommodation before you go to Hobbiton. It's only 10 minutes or so drive between Hobbiton and Matamata. That way you can have a short rest before the Hobbiton tour. You will need to be at the Hobbiton start point, The Shires Rest, 15 minutes before the tour starts.

Excellent summary! That sounds pretty good to me! :-) I think I will save this in my travel notes!

You're welcome. BTW I just checked the itinerary for your cruise and Solstice doesn't dock until 9:45am so you will need to factor that into your timing. You may not get off the ship until 10:30am or later. It should still be doable but you will have to ensure that you don't dally along the way.

Don't panic too much about the thought of driving on NZ roads, they are very good. I haven't done the cross-country drive from Tauranga to Waitomo directly but I have driven over most of those sectors at various times. We drove down from Auckland to Hobbiton last December and the route to Hobbiton is well signposted. You will actually pass the turn-off to Hobbiton on SH29 on your way to Waitomo.

The roads won't be totally isolated, and that's actually an advantage. When driving on the opposite side of the road to what you are used to it is much easier in light traffic - you have the vehicles around you to remind you where you should be on the road.

Most of the roads will have some traffic, depending on what time of day you're on them. They are all fairly major routes. SH29 joins SH1, then at Cambridge you turn onto SH3.

Allow a little extra time when coming back from Rotorua to the port, as the traffic will probably be busier in the afternoon and you will have to drop of the rental car. I'd recommend leaving Rotorua around 3pm.