Sort of a Silly Question About Clothes

espmass

I sail from NJ 11/10 and the first full day (at sea) will likely be pretty chilly. I'm in sort of a state of confusion about what to pack to wear that day since I have always previously sailed from warm ports. Most likely we'll be inside so I could probably wear shorts anyway. I wondered about a lightweight jogging suit. We have a late afternoon flight home so I could then keep it in my carry on bag to change at the airport. I know this is silly and very unimportant but any opinions? Thanks.

Not sure if this helps, but on our Rotterdam cruise to Alaska (Cool Climate Cruise) over half the people on the ship had on jogging suits during our Sea Days. At night they dressed up, but that seem to be the required uniform during the day, especially for those over a certain age.

Yes I thought it was a good solution. that way we can be comfortable and warm enough because we would be changing for dinner. It might even be a good idea to wear it the day of embarkation too. It's a strange situation ot be on a warm eather cruise but that the first 2 days of it will be cool. Glad you both didn't think it was too silly of a question to answer!

LAYERS!! Learned how to dress like that on our Alaska cruises. Leaving in a few weeks for San Diego from Philadelphia. I am planning to wear pants and a matching jacket with a T under it out of chilly Philly. I may also wear a blazer on top of that. I find it also helps to have a scarf and gloves available because my neck and hands get cold first, and if I can warm them up, I am warmer all over. On the way home, I will start with the pants and frilly T and add the rest (that are easy to carry on) when we get to the airport in Philadelphia. Hope that helps. In any case, enjoy your cruise.

Not a silly question at all. We sailed from NYC on the Norwegian Dawn in March, it was cold. Jogging suits were the order of the day. Very comfortable and warm. Although once the ship started to sail, they didn't keep us warm enough to stay out on the deck for the sailaway.

slotaddict, did the people change for dinner on casual nights or were the jogging suits acceptable? Usually the sail away night is casual and we sail at 6 so I guess we'll stay in whatever we arrive in. Thanks.

You can also wear jeans, capris, cargo pants, (whatever is comfortable for you) as an alternative to the jogging suit during the day. But for dinner in the dining room, jogging suits and jeans are usually not appropriate, as I did not see anyone wearing them.

For my last 3 cruises in cooler weather I wore black (very dark black-brand new) jeans with a nice sweater during travel and just wore the same outfit to dinner. The others changed from jeans/sneakers for travel to nice casual slacks (dockers style, khaki's, capri's-not denim, etc.) and shoes for dinner.

Interesting cause I'd never wear jeans on a cruise. That's just me; I'm not criticizing those who do. I'm only concerned with the first day when it's cold. By the second day we should be in the Caribbean where I live in shorts.

esmass, I always wear a jogging suit to travel in, but carry a change of clothes with me in my carry-on for dinner. On short trips I've worn the same jersey but changed the pants and shoes. I don't ever remember seeing jogging pants in the dining room but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Garry

Archived