Best cruise and sail hotels in Tampa

Tjohn50

We are looking to sail out of Tampa and need some referrals on places to stay. Is there any place on here that lists hotels?

Any recommendations appreciated. We typically go from Port Canaveral so I'm at a loss to the area.

Thanks

Tjohn50

No, there isn't a place here listing hotels. It is, after all "Cruise Critic". There are some discussion of hotels here, but Tampa, as a smaller port, doesn't get a lot of attention.

For a list of hotels, the far better place would be TripAdvisor, which is a sister company to Cruise Critic.

I would suggest using the 'search this forum' feature - it's on the right side just above the list of threads. Tampa may not get as much action on this forum as Fort Lauderdale but I have found a lot of useful information for sailing from Tampa here - hotel suggestions for those flying in as well as for those driving and so looking for parking info too. We love sailing from Tampa!

We are looking to sail out of Tampa and need some referrals on places to stay. Is there any place on here that lists hotels?

Any recommendations appreciated. We typically go from Port Canaveral so I'm at a loss to the area.

Thanks

Tjohn50

I stayed at The Barrymore in March. It is the hotel that Royal Caribbean uses for incoming crew members, and just a few minutes from the port. It isn't luxury, but is clean, comfortable and has free parking for 7 nights included in your one night stay. It worked out costing me less than the terminal parking, and I won't use the remote lots in Tampa having had negative experiences. Just tell them you will be parking there, as they give you a pass to hang in your car. They have a free shuttle to the terminal, and also will take you to any restaurants around, again free. When we returned instead of waiting for the shuttle, we took a taxi to the hotel - it was just $5. Don't let the reviews about lots of college kids put you off. Yes, there were lots of kids, as they us it as a dorm, but they were no trouble - quiet, polite. They were seen but not heard, lol!

Edited by Venice Cruising

Thanks

Tjohn50

I just posted info for you for Tampa, but I was actually on this board looking for info on Port Canaveral! :) Can you help me? I am looking for somewhere to stay and park, as I'll be driving over from the west coast.

Caroline

We have stayed at Best Western, Residence Inn and Country Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral. They are literally across the street from the terminal. Never had a problem with either and always do park and cruise which has been very reasonable.

We have stayed at Best Western, Residence Inn and Country Inn and Suites in Port Canaveral. They are literally across the street from the terminal. Never had a problem with either and always do park and cruise which has been very reasonable.

Thank yo!. Did you see the info on The Barrymore in Tampa that I posted? I would definitely stay there again, as it is so convenient especially with the shuttle. There were several of us who met there the night before, including the captain, and we all used the shuttle to go out to dinner, instead of having to find parking at the restaurant. Worked out great!

Thanks

Tjohn50

Hotels in the Rocky Point area are popular with cruisers - Chase Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. - which offer cruise packages including both airport and port shuttles.

Hotels near the airport (Westshore area) are also popular - a mall and dining options are nearby and if a shuttle is not included/offered a taxi to the port will be about $25+tip.

Some prefer the nightlife and dining scene found in Ybor City - not too far from the port.

There are a couple of very nice hotels (Marriott and Embassy Suites) within a few blocks of the port; search for Channel side hotels.

The TPA airport is about a 15 minute/$25 cab ride from the port. Have a great cruise! :)

Thank yo!. Did you see the info on The Barrymore in Tampa that I posted? I would definitely stay there again, as it is so convenient especially with the shuttle. There were several of us who met there the night before, including the captain, and we all used the shuttle to go out to dinner, instead of having to find parking at the restaurant. Worked out great!

Yes thank you!

Hotels in the Rocky Point area are popular with cruisers - Chase Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. - which offer cruise packages including both airport and port shuttles.

Hotels near the airport (Westshore area) are also popular - a mall and dining options are nearby and if a shuttle is not included/offered a taxi to the port will be about $25+tip.

Some prefer the nightlife and dining scene found in Ybor City - not too far from the port.

There are a couple of very nice hotels (Marriott and Embassy Suites) within a few blocks of the port; search for Channel side hotels.

The TPA airport is about a 15 minute/$25 cab ride from the port. Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you for sharing this!! We are excited to try this port area.

I second the hotels in the Rocky Point area: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton and Chase Suites.

This area is 5 min From the airport and a 15 min shuttle to the port.

All three hotels offer a great cruise pkg. They have a round-trip shuttle....meaning they will be there after the cruise to take you either back to the airport or the hotel for those that have the Park & Cruise. This is a $25 savings. They all also have a complimentary airport shuttle and hot breakfast buffet.

The Hotels are on the Bay so you will have a nice waterfront view. There is a Bahama Breeze Restaurant that sits directly between the three hotels. Thiis restaurant offers a nightly band out on the deck. The food is very good....especially the coconut shrimp.

I have stayed twice at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point and have had very positive experiences both times. I would however not hesitate to go with any of the 3 that offer the better rate.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

• 2 months later...

Thank you to all who gave information about hotels in Tampa. I was able to call 5 of them and get the lowdown on rates, parking and shuttles. Based on all info, we are staying at the Barrymore. A word to the wise, book early! With conventions coming in, there were no available rooms in several hotels for our dates.

Thank you to all who gave information about hotels in Tampa. I was able to call 5 of them and get the lowdown on rates, parking and shuttles. Based on all info, we are staying at the Barrymore. A word to the wise, book early! With conventions coming in, there were no available rooms in several hotels for our dates.

I think you will do well with the Barrymore. I stayed there in March and left my car there for a week when I sailed on Vision. It worked out very well. It's not a luxury hotel but it was clean and comfortable and the staff very pleasant. It is the hotel that Royal Caribbean uses for their incoming crew members.

I think you will do well with the Barrymore. I stayed there in March and left my car there for a week when I sailed on Vision. It worked out very well. It's not a luxury hotel but it was clean and comfortable and the staff very pleasant. It is the hotel that Royal Caribbean uses for their incoming crew members.

It's much less than others in that area, as much as $60-100 plus the free parking and free shuttle. It will work fine for us!