Having a cabin really low deck?

We were in an OV on Deck 2 on Splendour (our last cruise 3 years ago) and it was really nice! As others have mentioned, very quiet, easy to get on and off, and no elevator issues. As Splendour was a smaller ship, we also didn't mind taking the stairs up. We were more aft than centre as we booked late and got a great deal. The only moment I questioned our decision was as I came out of the shower one evening, and a tender was approaching... fortunately lightning quick reflexes avoided a show that no one would have appreciated seeing!!! :eek::p:eek:

I've never been higher than deck 6 on our cruises and have discovered as commented by many that the lower down you are, the less movement you feel.

I thought I liked higher deck aft cabins at the back of the corridor (less footfall past our door) but after our last two I've been converted to a deck 3 girl :)

We were on RC Splendour OTS at the end of last year (which just moved over to Thomson/TUI) deck 3 portside aft and my goodness it was noisy. One of the gangways (think it was for deliveries of produce or removal of waste) was beneath us and every morning at port it was so noisy - plus we had engine noise and humming from a power station across from our cabin. Never again. We booked a guaranteed outside and sure, we had one, but at a poor location noisewise. But for getting in and out of the ships and the Centrum, it was perfect.

Just last month I was on RC Vision OTS with a friend - and again on deck 3. Though this time I had booked midship/fwd starboard near front staircase and lifts as my friend hadn't cruised before. Thought it might be noisy as we were just three cabins from the forward stair/lift area. Not a peep, though. Felt no movement at all. No engine noise like hubby and I had had in the aft equivalent on Splendour. Easy access to gangway again so not having to wait for lift after coming back onboard. Close enough (few floors) to MDR and Centrum. Generally only took the lift to the Windjammer or Viking Crown Lounge. Perfect location, IMO.

I'd be happy with another deck 3 midship cabin but our next cruise is booked higher up, as hubby prefers having a balcony. That will be our challenge for future bookings;)

If you go to lower decks, just check what is near you and above/beneath your cabin.

Edited by MsPoppadom

You might get invited to some steerage or staff parties that suite guests and diamonds don't get invited to.......you will get to know the staff much better too!

If suite guests and diamonds aren't invited then it's not worth going

Edited by Penciltwister

Try to avoid deck 2 forward on smaller ships, if you are headed to Coco Cay or anywhere where they tender.

Once I stayed in Deck 2 forward on Enchantment, and when we dropped anchor in Coco Cay I thought bomb went off. Not a big deal if you wake up early, but I like to sleep in until 8:30ish on vacation.

We love our balcony too much to ever consider a cruise without one.

Once you go balcony, you can't go back. :D

It's all a matter of personal preference. Some don't spend any time in their cabin, and would not use

their balcony, so for them it is a waste of money....but some do use it. We love our balcony and use it

quite a bit. It is our own private "window on the world" with no chair hogs to worry about. ;) :p

Edited by island lady

Once you go balcony, you can't go back. :D

It's all a matter of personal preference. Some don't spend any time in their cabin, and would not use

their balcony, so for them it is a waste of money....but some do use it. We love our balcony and use it

quite a bit. It is our own private "window on the world" with no chair hogs to worry about. ;) :p

Agree! I have only had a balcony on two occasions, for my Hawaii and Alaska cruise. Other then that, we don't see a need for it. We are never in our room, and don't mind the crowds that can be on ship. We love to "people watch" and therefore find a balcony not needed for our needs. Interior is the way to go for us. Everyone is different, you have to decide what is best for you

I for one look for the least expensive room. I have stayed in many lower deck rooms and never have a problem. Other couples that usually go along with us have stayed on decks 11 and up in balcony's, and the movement is noticeable. I don't spend much time in the room..have had balcony's and found I didn't use them.....so why pay the extra $$

Mike

We've always been in a balcony cabin (a couple times in a JS) and when we decided to spontaneously do a cruise on Vision a year ago, we could only get on Deck 3 with a window. It was awful. We found out pretty quickly we didn't like being in a cabin that didn't have access to the outside. We didn't think we used our balcony that much either - as it turns out, we actually do use the balcony more than we thought! We'll gladly pay the extra money for a balcony!