Last minute cancellation options

We leave on 7/3 for a cruise on the Summit. Booked 2 cabins for the 5 of us. Unfortunately DD just started a summer college course and was told she would miss and therefore fail 1 exam if she went with us. DD has chosen to miss the cruise. DD is passenger # 3 on the reservation. I was informed that we would receive government fee back of $ 200+ but that is all. Suggestion was to add a new 3rd person at no additional cost.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

We leave on 7/3 for a cruise on the Summit. Booked 2 cabins for the 5 of us. Unfortunately DD just started a summer college course and was told she would miss and therefore fail 1 exam if she went with us. DD has chosen to miss the cruise. DD is passenger # 3 on the reservation. I was informed that we would receive government fee back of $ 200+ but that is all. Suggestion was to add a new 3rd person at no additional cost.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Without "Cancel for any Reason" travel insurance, I think you've heard your options.

I agree with the others who have posted. I think you have your options. Could DD talk with her instructor about a less severe penalty, such as taking the exam when she returns or doing an extra project to demonstrate her knowledge of the course content? Maybe she could be a better advocate for herself.

Edited by BBsails

Why not find someone to go in her place? If it's already paid for, might as well invite a friend or one of your other kids' friends.

That's probably the best solution if you want to use the money you've spent. At least all you are losing is the cost of the third person in the cabin.

While we always insure trips that involve crossing the Atlantic, we've never insured a trip to the Caribbean, Bermuda or New England/Canada. Over the years, we've probably saved enough on insurance that if we miss one, we'll still come out ahead. Of course, we're accepting the fact that if something catastrophic happens while we're sailing, we'll be dealing with the headaches and bills. (I added the last sentence to hopefully avoid the lectures regarding the possible disasters that could happen.)

I agree with the others who have posted. I think you have your options. Could DD talk with her instructor about a less severe penalty, such as taking the exam when she returns or doing an extra project to demonstrate her knowledge of the course content? Maybe she could be a better advocate for herself.

Sounds like she already asked. As a university instructor, I have the same policy - no make up exams. Sorry. in case of real emergency, I allow substitute the percent earned on the final exam for the missed exam. That's what I did for the student who had emergency surgery the day of the last exam. Department policy.