Viking Rhine Getaway Lucerne extension

Cyber Kat

We're doing the Rhine Getaway with the Lucerne extension. If anyone has done this, what time did you leave the ship to take the bus to Lucerne? And how long a ride was it?

Just curious - trying to get all the details I can before I go. I'm a planner :D

I'll look for our disembarking information when I get home. I think it was around 9:00. Bus ride was less then an hour. Stopped at the Lion and then onto the Hotel to drop off luggage, followed by 2hr walking tour. Was ready for food when done.

We left the ship around 9. On the way to Lucerne, we had great commentary by the guide that accompanied us for the journey. We stopped briefly at the Lion Monument before continuing to the hotel. Unfortunately, our guide on the bus trip was not our guide in Lucerne. Our walking tour was led by a very mediocre guide who seemed to have little interest in his job, and who provided a less than enthusiastic tour of such a beautiful place. Hopefully your guide will be decent. Our time in Lucerne was the highlight of the whole trip. After we departed company with the guide, we walked and toured on our own and had a wonderful time. The first night we were there, we ate at a restaurant recommended by the Viking rep at the concierge table in the hotel lounge. I don't know if Viking gets a break of some kind, but we took the recommendation and had an okay meal, along with several other tables of Viking guests. The second night we asked the hotel concierge for a recommendation, and ate at a wonderful restaurant (Hotel Wildeman). On our full day in Lucerne, we went to Mt. Pilatus, doing the round trip bus-gondola-boat trip Golden tour. It was the highlight of our vacation.

We're doing the Rhine Getaway with the Lucerne extension.

:D

Lucerne is gorgeous. I hope you have time to wander around and enjoy the buildings, churches, bridges with their interesting artwork, the lake, the river, the mountains...now I realize that we need to go back and see all of that again. :(

Have a great time!

Edited by jpalbny

We left the ship around 9. On the way to Lucerne, we had great commentary by the guide that accompanied us for the journey. We stopped briefly at the Lion Monument before continuing to the hotel. Unfortunately, our guide on the bus trip was not our guide in Lucerne. Our walking tour was led by a very mediocre guide who seemed to have little interest in his job, and who provided a less than enthusiastic tour of such a beautiful place. Hopefully your guide will be decent. Our time in Lucerne was the highlight of the whole trip. After we departed company with the guide, we walked and toured on our own and had a wonderful time. The first night we were there, we ate at a restaurant recommended by the Viking rep at the concierge table in the hotel lounge. I don't know if Viking gets a break of some kind, but we took the recommendation and had an okay meal, along with several other tables of Viking guests. The second night we asked the hotel concierge for a recommendation, and ate at a wonderful restaurant (Hotel Wildeman). On our full day in Lucerne, we went to Mt. Pilatus, doing the round trip bus-gondola-boat trip Golden tour. It was the highlight of our vacation.

Thanks! We're looking forward to the doing the Mt Pilatus Golden trip!

Lucerne is gorgeous. I hope you have time to wander around and enjoy the buildings, churches, bridges with their interesting artwork, the lake, the river, the mountains...now I realize that we need to go back and see all of that again. :(

Have a great time!

Thanks - basically we will have 1.5 days. The full day we hope to do the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip. I've got to find some things to do if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I also need to find a restaurant that does fondue for one and also has steak :) DH is kind of a fussy eater. He likes cheese, but not melted.

Thanks - basically we will have 1.5 days. The full day we hope to do the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip. I've got to find some things to do if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I also need to find a restaurant that does fondue for one and also has steak :) DH is kind of a fussy eater. He likes cheese, but not melted.

We were in Lucerne in 2007 and one day was very rainy and cool so we visited the transportation museum. It was a lot of fun.

We also visited the shopping center which was under the train station. We weren't hungry enough to have dinner at a restaurant so we went to the supermarket there and bought sandwiches and a bottle of wine. We brought it back to our room and enjoyed it there.

We were in Lucerne in 2007 and one day was very rainy and cool so we visited the transportation museum. It was a lot of fun.

We also visited the shopping center which was under the train station. We weren't hungry enough to have dinner at a restaurant so we went to the supermarket there and bought sandwiches and a bottle of wine. We brought it back to our room and enjoyed it there.

Someone on another thread mentioned the transportation museum - I'll have to check that out. DH would love that :) Good idea about the sandwiches and wine - thanks!

Per Viking Info from November 2014, At 9:00AM we take you from ship to Lucerne. The driving time is appx 1 1/2hrs. Upon arrival, you will stop at Lion Monument for photos. Then to motel for short restoom stop. At 11:00 AM enjoy a guided walking tour of city center for appx 2hrs. Check in time is 3:00 PM.

Day 2 on your own. Viking concierge available 8-12 & 2-6.

Day 3 Viking will pick you up appx 3 - 3 1/2 hrs prior to your flight. Drive time to Zurich is 60 to 75 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Per Viking Info from November 2014, At 9:00AM we take you from ship to Lucerne. The driving time is appx 1 1/2hrs. Upon arrival, you will stop at Lion Monument for photos. Then to motel for short restoom stop. At 11:00 AM enjoy a guided walking tour of city center for appx 2hrs. Check in time is 3:00 PM.

Day 2 on your own. Viking concierge available 8-12 & 2-6.

Day 3 Viking will pick you up appx 3 - 3 1/2 hrs prior to your flight. Drive time to Zurich is 60 to 75 minutes.

Hope this helps.

That's awesome, thanks , it helps a lot. I was also wondering what time they would take us to the airport . We have a 1:35 pm flight . At least it won't be the crack of dawn :eek:

I was impressed how they handled the airport transfers our daughter's flight was 2 hours after ours, they had different cars come pick us up.

We were at the Radisson Blu very nice and had a good breakfast.

Mount Pilatus was fogged in, the Viking rep suggested Mt Rigi which was wonderful with a nice boat ride.